New
Find
Notify
Tools

.577 Nitro loading Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of DoubleDon
posted
Pop quiz for the loading experts out there.

I have a .577-3" nitro double with 25 13/16" barrels. This gun was regulated with factory Kynoch 750 grain ammo. Kynoch's "stated" velocity is 2050 FPS with a 28" barrel. Therefore, with my 2 3/16" shorter barrel, how much RL 15 will it take to achieve the lesser velocity in my gun. FYI, Graeme Wright in his 2nd edition of "Shooting the British Double Rifle" states that 116 grains RL 15 propels the 750 grain bullet at 1970 FPS ( with what barrel length? ).

I,m just trying to get an educated guess to try and minimize unnecessary abuse to my body. My loading bench and chrono await your advice.

Thanks in advance.

Don

Deo Vindice,

Don

Sons of Confederate Veterans Black Horse Camp #780

Posts: 1706 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 01 February 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It's not my rifle, but a mate is running a 26" barrelled Ruger No1 in 577NE-3". From memory he was running 120gr Rel-15 behind a Bertram 750gr for just on 2000fps. Again, from memory ... components where Bertram brass (lightly turned at the base to fit). Fed 210M primer, Rel-15 and 750gr Bertram bullet.
Cheers...
Con

Posts: 2198 | Location: Australia | Registered: 24 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 505ED
posted Hide Post
Dont know, but my ol 577 would digest 122grn of RL15, never chrno them but the barrels shot together, and the recoil crossed my eyes Wink hilbily

DRSS Member

Posts: 2289 | Location: Texas | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You didn't mention age or type or weight of rifle. My personal approach to this would be to start with RL 15 @1.1 X cordite load that the gun was regulated with. Usually that would work out to to 110 grains in a 100 grain cordite gun. I would increase the load a grain at a time up to no more than 1.15 x cordite load with Woodliegh solids and maybe 2 or 3 more grains with the softs. As soon as the gun regulated I would quit. There is no reason to beat the gun or you up trying to get the last 25 fps out of a 577. It is a ringtailed double distilled two fisted killing son of a bitch. Nothing out there is going to know or care if that 750 grain bullet is going 1950 or 2050 or 2100 . Put the bullet where it belongs and all activity comes to a stop pretty quick. clap

If you own a gun and you are not a member of the NRA and other pro 2nd amendment organizations then YOU are part of the problem.

Posts: 1231 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 12 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DoubleDon
posted Hide Post
Gentlemen

Thanks for your advice. The gun is a Verney Carron Azur BLE weighing 14# 2oz. with a 25 13/16" barrel. It was factory regulated a year ago using Kynoch 750 gr. ammo with a stated velocity of 2050 FPS out of a 28" barrel. I have the factory regulation target with the barrels printing 1" apart (side by side) at 50 meters. Having owned, shot, hunted with about 100 doubles since 1975 I am familiar with the regulation process.

Question is how many grains of RL 15 to duplicate the velocity of the kynoch ammo using the same 750 gr. Woodleigh bullet with a 2 3/16" shorter barrel.

FYI, with 105 gr. RL 15 and 650 gr. Woodleigh bullets (yielding 1900 FPS instrument velocity) the bullets are dead nuts center of target, 1/4" apart at 44 yards.

Thanks again for your help.

Don

Deo Vindice,

Don

One of Us
Picture of DoubleDon
posted Hide Post
Many thanks to all for your tips and advice.

I got down to business this weekend. I started with 114 grains RL 15 with the Woodleigh 750 grain softs. This produced 1912 FPS. As I increased the load 1 grain at a time I found that each additional grain increased velocity pretty consistantly by about 25 FPS. Thus, 118 grains RL 15 yielded my desired 2012 FPS.

Just a side note. I was pleasantly surprised how manageable the recoil was from my 14# 2oz. gun. At the end of the day, I pulled out, and shot, my 10# 8oz. .500 nitro with 570 grain bullets at 2130 FPS which I believe would make a cigar store Indian flinch!

I hope this may be of some help to others in the future.

Don

Deo Vindice,

Don

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Donald Soter:
Just a side note. I was pleasantly surprised how manageable the recoil was from my 14# 2oz. gun.

Don

Don,
The rifle I tried (because I'm considering having on ebuilt in the coming years) was a Ruger No1 at about 13lb 7oz. The mild recoil ... it really is a forceful push ... took me by complete surprise. I think the low pressures and low velocity (and weight) really make these rifles quite useful. A 12lb 458Lott at 2300fps hurts me more ... go figure?!
Cheers...
Con

Posts: 2198 | Location: Australia | Registered: 24 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 3608 | Location: USA | Registered: 08 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
perfect weight for a 577. You are going to have fun with that rifle.

If you own a gun and you are not a member of the NRA and other pro 2nd amendment organizations then YOU are part of the problem.

Posts: 1231 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 12 July 2005Reply With Quote