New
Find
Notify
Tools

stock design Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Wildcatter
posted
I was reading 470 Mbogo's big bore comparative analysis web page, (good work by the way), and a question occured to me about stock design. If you build a heavy recoiling rifle set up for recoil control, the stock will be set up perfectly for use with a scope. But how comfortable, then, is it to shoot with open sights? I'm deliberating with my choices and have almost decided to build my 500 Jeffrey for use with iron sights only.

-Catter

Posts: 788 | Location: Central Texas, U.S. | Registered: 20 December 2001Reply With Quote
<Don G>
posted
Catter,

You have just made a new friend out of Ray Atkinson. He prefers open sights and express stocks. If he doesn't speak up soon, email him directly for his opinion and suggestions. This is his kind of stock.

Don

<holtz>
posted
Catter,

A stock that will allow you to shoot with scope and Iron sights is going to be a compromise. However, if the stock is made for you (properly) it won't be all that bad. You should be comfortable shooting with or without the scope. Felt recoil will be about the same either way.

Steve

one of us
posted Hide Post
For some years I was a fan of the American Classic which never handled iron sights..Then one day I shot a Holland and Holland bolt gun with a lot of drop for iron sights and it had a scope on it and about 3/8" cast off....Never looked back from that day on....Also I was raised on the old low comb M-70 and shot them with a scope and it never bothered me...

You can shoot a scope with a low combed rifle but you cannot shoot a high combed rifle with irons, it'll tear your head off...

Its no compromise, it works and from a hunting standpoint makes no difference in your shooting...All that stuff is hype...

Posts: 41866 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Wildcatter
posted Hide Post
Atkinson,

How much drop did that H&H have? Doesn't the drop increase the muzzle rise substantially in a heavy rifle like the 500 Jeffrey that I'm building? This might be too much trouble but if you happen to have a picture of one of your rifles with the drop you are describing, do you think you could e-mail it to me? Also, what calibers do you shoot?

-Catter

Posts: 788 | Location: Central Texas, U.S. | Registered: 20 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Depending on your demensions this could vary a small amount...but I have settled on 1-1/4" to 1-1/2" drop at the heel and 1/2" at the comb with about 5/16 or 3/8 castoff, (give or take a hair). You can use an egg cheek piece or just leave it off..A cheek piece is just proud flesh, and serves no earthly purpose, but adds to the overall beauty of the stock, I suppose..

The older I get the less design and more function I require on a rifle...

This will divide the recoil comming back and going up about in half..It will absorb recoil like a sponge. In the big bores you do not want it all comming stright back or all of it going up. You gotta divide it up equally or die...With this measure you can use iron sights and scope equally as well, some will disagree, but if they bother to try it, they will be enlightened, but some never will, and they will remain in darkness

It makes nice lines and you can make the comb as sharp as a razor with no pain to the face...but most of all it is a wonderfully shootable off hand gun that handles like a 410 Boss shotgun. Thoes bloody English knew how to make a hunting rifle...

------------------
Ray Atkinson

ray@atkinsonhunting.com
atkinsonhunting.com

Posts: 41866 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Wildcatter and all,

I have photos of all my guns that I have built and I have no means of sending photos by email right now...

BUT, I will very soon, as my wife is ragging on me to get a printer, fax, whatchamacallit gimminck that does all these things, so I'll be using Accurate loading to learn how to send photos etc...so I'll send some pictures of my rifles, animals shot, and lord knows what all....

------------------
Ray Atkinson

ray@atkinsonhunting.com
atkinsonhunting.com

one of us
Picture of Wildcatter
posted Hide Post
Thank you very much Mr. Atkinson,

I'll follow your advice in the construction of my 500 Jeffrey stock. My father and I are looking forward to booking a safari by next year. It is something he and I have been wanting to do for more years than I can remember. He wants to hunt lion, leopard, buff, and croc. and I want to hunt elephant and buff, plus some various plains game. Any input on location for the tusker?

Thanks again for the advice.

-Catter

[This message has been edited by Wildcatter (edited 07-16-2001).]

<Don G>
posted
Ray,

Don't go there on the whatchamacallits! Did you realize that one of those setups can cost as much as a rifle! It is a trick! They never stop wanting more.

Don

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wildcatter:
I was reading 470 Mbogo's big bore comparative analysis web page, (good work by the way),

If I may ask:
Could you kindly post the URL ?

Many thanks,
Carcano

Posts: 2452 | Location: Old Europe | Registered: 23 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Wildcatter
posted Hide Post
This is a great site. Answers alot of questions and I reccomend to anyone.

www.470mbogo.com

[This message has been edited by Wildcatter (edited 07-19-2001).]

[This message has been edited by Wildcatter (edited 07-19-2001).]

one of us
posted Hide Post
Wildcatter,
For what you want, Tanzania is the only place to go IMHO...Zimbabwe is next in line..
Check my updated web page at www.atkinsonhunting.com

------------------
Ray Atkinson

ray@atkinsonhunting.com
atkinsonhunting.com