Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

rimless 450 alaskan? Login/Join

<maral>
posted
I am thinking of rechambering a 450 Marlin to something like a 450 alaskan ,based on a 300RUM shortened to 2,2". The bolt face would be the same, and cases probably easier to form than 450 alaskan from 348Win?Could I use a 450 alaskan reamer? The case diameter of the RUM and the 348 looks pretty alike to me( Both based on 404 Jeffery/450 NE cases?)Any comments?

Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
An interesting thought! They say there is nothing new under the sun, but that is the first time I've heard of that proposed combo.

My concerns would be that the 348 case is slightly larger in dia at the head, as I recall.

The other two concerns would be feeding the larger case, and more importantly, extracting with a rebated rim.

Consdidering all the work that would be involved in the project, I'd lean heavily towards the original 450 Alaskan chambering for use in a lever gun. If you're going to all the $ and trouble of doing it, might as well have a rim to assure solid ejection. Since starline makes factory 50 Alaskan brass, making brass is a simple pass through the fl sizer and load away.

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sounds a lot like the 460 HE MAG that Heavy Express Custom sells. Someone else did some work with a rimless .348 years ago (Greeley?), there was some mention of it in an article on the .300 WSM I recently read in either Rifle or Handloader.

[This message has been edited by Cannon (edited 08-24-2001).]

Posts: 269 | Location: Missouri, USA | Registered: 11 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Feasible but requires a bit of work. I have built a 50 cal Marlin (called the .510 Kodiak Express), with a case about 0.100" longer than the 50 Alaskan, and modified the internals for a 2.680" cartridge length. Case length is dictated by the location of the cannulure (gotta have one, and a heavy crimp) and the COL. Rim diameter for 50 Alaskan, .510 Kodiak, 348 Win, 45-70 is 0.605" to 0.610". Can't recall the rim diameter for 450 Marlin, but I think it is the same as 45-70?? Ultra brass rim diameter is about .532. 404 Jeffery rim is about .542". So, we will have to make the extractor fit the smaller rim diameter if the Ultra brass is used. Maybe use a bolt for a smaller case, then open it up??? Can't use a 450 Alaskan Reamer, it is too big for the Ultra brass. But, should be able to use the 416 Howell reamer (Paul's) that I have, with a 450 pilot, and one of my 458 neckers. Or have a reamer ground to spec by Dave Kiff at Pacific Tool. Remember, Marlin lever gun rebarreling gets to be more expensive than a bolt action, due to the hood on the chamber end of the barrel and the milling cuts required for the magazine hanger and sights, plus the groove that is milled in the bottom of the barrel to clear the 45-70 size magazine tube. I would take on this project if someone threw enough money my way.

Paul and I are working on a 458 on the Ultra brass at 2.5" case length. This one goes in M98 Mauser.

Posts: 1055 | Location: Real Sasquatch Country!!! I Seen 'Em! | Registered: 16 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Buffalo Arms has pre-formed brass for the .450 AK if you don't want to form them yourself. I think that they run $80.00 per 100. Forming them from .348 brass just takes an expander, trimmer and some time, not too bad really.

Posts: 694 | Location: Des Moines, Iowa, USA | Registered: 09 January 2001Reply With Quote