Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cracked Stock - Now What? Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm going to pick up my RSM in 416 Saturday morning. Roger Ferrell has given it a "going through" to make sure it's up to snuff. I got an email from him describing what he'd done. One was concerning the bedding. He had found when he was taking the stock off the action that the screws were extremely tight. He also found that it was cracked in the thin web between the trigger and mag which he thought was most likely caused by over-tightened screws, not recoil. He repaired the crack, added a cross bolt there, relieved at the tang and fully bedded the barrel and action. He said he saw no reason that it should give any further issue with the repari he performed and the additional reinforcing he did. I had only put about 40 rounds through this rifle, none of which were full-house loads. 20 350's with 5744 at around 1950 and 20 350's with H4350 at around 2360.

David

Posts: 539 | Location: NE Alabama | Registered: 11 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gumboot458
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SBT:
Thanks for the input.

Forrest,
I'd still be appreciative of the sample packs, especially solids as elephant is on the list. I'm hoping to find a load for solids with the same POI. I do not have a chronograph, so I have no idea of the fps of the loads, but I could definetly feel the difference. If anyone knows the approximate fps for the 100 grains of H4831, I'd like to know. Your comment about not opening fast enough for lion concerns me. I look forward to others opinions.

I would also like the names of competant smiths for the work I need done. I have only recently heard of steel bedding. Should it be glass bedded or steel bedded?

JKS,
My plan was to load some more rounds tonight and hunt chisslers over the weekend. They are now every where and would make for great practice.

.......SBT ... with the project you are undertakeing it would really help you to get a chronograph ... a standard little Shooters Chrony F1 is about as basic as it gets but still a quantum leap beyond checking velocity by the recoil ..........There are many differentmakes and models on the market ......and they cost only the price of a good box of bullets or 2 at the most .......A friend of mine here kind of poo pooped the idea of chronographing , believing the manuels to be true and accurate , but discovered different when he tried mine ..........

.If it can,t be grown , its gotta be mined ....

Posts: 3445 | Location: Copper River Valley , Prudhoe Bay , and other interesting locales | Registered: 19 November 2006Reply With Quote