Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Any brave souls? Login/Join

one of us
posted
I was talking to a guy the other day and expressed an interest in shooting large calibers. The mans ears perked and asked if I would be interested in adding one more to the collection. After asking about the rifle it became apparent that the man did not have any idea of what he had, so I arranged to go look at it. Low and behold he pulls out an old enfield in .475 A&M. I damn near passed out. The man is thinking about what he wants for it. How he came upon such a beast I have no idea, but what I want to know is if any of you have had any expirence with the brute, and yes I'm well aware of the power that this demon can produce. Over 10,000 ft lbs. If the asking price is fair is it worth it?

Posts: 1257 | Location: Colusa CA U.S.A. | Registered: 27 June 2001Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
JR,

Have a look at our Reloading section, at the 475/416 Rigby.

This is basically the same as the 475 A&M, but instead of being based on the 460 Weatherby case, we made ours on the Rigby case.

Case capacities of the cases I have are identical.

If you like big bores, this one is great to have.

------------------
saeed@ emirates.net.ae

www.accuratereloading.com

Posts: 66995 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
<Mitch>
posted
Jr. The 475 A&M mag. is a powerful cartridge. But don't base your purchase of the rifle on the assumtion that it can produce 10,000 ft. lbs. of energy. If you do you will be disappointed, figure on a bit more energy than a 460 Wby.(bet. 7500-8000 ft. lbs.)

Administrator
posted Hide Post
Mitch my friend,

Glad to see you back with us.

I think all published data for the 475 A&M is a bit obtimistic.

------------------
saeed@ emirates.net.ae

www.accuratereloading.com

Posts: 66995 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Nitroman
posted Hide Post
Best of all you do not tell the gentleman you plan on filling the case with IMR-7828 or H-5010 and so on to make a REALLY fun rifle to shoot.
Just tell him it looks like it'll feel like an elephant stomped on your shoulder and offer to do him a favor by taking it off his hands for cheap.

Posts: 1844 | Location: Southwest Alaska | Registered: 28 February 2001Reply With Quote
<holtz>
posted
JR,

My suggestion would be to pass on the rifle at almost any cost. It will cost you a bloody fortune to load for it, will probably beat the hell out of you, and, if you let a friend shoot, it just think of the possible liability.

If you can get it for a couple of hundred, maybe okay. But keep in mind that the luster will probably quickly ware off and then YOU will be the one trying to unload it. That's the way it normally is with these oddity guns.

Steve

one of us
Picture of mbogo375
posted Hide Post
JR,
Go ahead and get it. If you don't like it I will take it off your hands .

Jim

Posts: 1206 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 21 July 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It won't cost much to load for the 475 A&M.

For brass, just neck up 460 wby. If you shop around with the wholesalers, you can get 460 wby brass for $33 to $36 per box of 20.

For cheap bullets, use Hawk. They are just $36.50 for a box of 50. Woodleighs are almost twice that. I have gotten better accuracy with Woodleighs, but for having fun or shooting thin skinned game, the Hawks are where its at.

If you pass on this rifle at a reasonable price, you will surely regret it. If you buy the rifle and don't like it, send me an email...

[This message has been edited by 500grains (edited 09-14-2001).]

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Oldsarge
posted Hide Post
Hell, just keep the loads within Class III. You will have a fine 6,000 ft. lb. rifle and the added advantage of great frontal area. Go to 470Mbogo's website, he's got it posted around here somewhere, and use the lighter charges. It will be fine if you take your time getting used to it.

Sarge

Posts: 2690 | Location: Lakewood, CA. USA | Registered: 07 January 2001Reply With Quote