Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

SEEIN' STARS!!!! Login/Join

one of us
posted
Went to a new range here the other day where some guys are reported to bring in some pretty hefty artillery. To say the least I was not disapointed. Now I'm no stranger to ruger #1's, I have 2 myself(.375 & .416 Rigby) and while I think that the .416 is a little light the recoil is not all that bad at all. Anyways one of the guys at the range had a .577 Nitro done up on a #1 and seeing as how I had let him take a couple shots with my .416 he only saw it fit to let me take one wiht his .577. Geeez somebody should of told me!!, this thing was pure hell. Probably due to the fact that it didn't weigh any more than my .416. I just thought that I would share my weekend with you guys and give you fair warning. Take it easy!!!

------------------
JR

Posts: 1257 | Location: Colusa CA U.S.A. | Registered: 27 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A .577 should weigh a minum of 13.5 pounds and some went 22 pounds...you could receive permanent injury from such a gun as you describe, in the form of detached retinas and acute bursitis in later years..I have witnessed detached retinas and I have acute bursitis in neck and shoulders from shooting the big bores..Lots of hearing loss also and thats just from hunting...

------------------
Ray Atkinson

ray@atkinsonhunting.com
atkinsonhunting.com

Posts: 41840 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks alot for the reply! I honestly believe that this rifle could not have weighed any more than about 10 1/2 lbs loaded. I don't know if this is what that guy considers fun or not, but after that single round I'd say that I'm cured of .577's. Be sure to read my other more recent post and give me your opinion. I value your thoughts especially, along with Old Sarge.

------------------
JR

Posts: 1257 | Location: Colusa CA U.S.A. | Registered: 27 June 2001Reply With Quote
<jagtip>
posted
JR....Don't know if this will be helpful or not but I have a ruger#1 chambered in 458 win.mag. that for me seems to kick much harder than my wby mark 5 in 460 weatherby.Admittadly,I download the weatherby round a bit but nonetheless,the same bullet is moving about 350 f.p.s. faster while perceived recoil is less.The combination of additional weight plus muzzle brake makes a tremendous amount of difference.Stock fit is better for me with the weatherby which is another factor to consider.The point I'm making is that you may find you're able to shoot something with greater power than you're using at present with relative comfort if other factors such as gun weight,stock fit,etc.are considered.