THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BIG BORE FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Big Bores    Mitch's .577 Tyrannosaur and RAB

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mitch's .577 Tyrannosaur and RAB Login/Join

<R. A. Berry>
posted
Veni, vidi, vicci!

Mitch was most gracious in allowing me to accompany him to the indoor range at the club he belongs to on Long Island, New York.

I fired 23 rounds of Mitch's good handloads, and am pleased to report that I survived. Some interesting phenomena occurred.

I fired two fouling shots of rather low intensity (or so I was told) first. They were on the paper.

Next we went into load-test-mode and fired three shots each load. Two powders (VV 560 and H4831), two bullets (750 grain and 900 grain), and two cases (Horneber and A-Square) were the components used, with F215 primers I think. Bullets were Woodleigh and Barnes...ask Mitch for specifics, or any corrections if my memory is faulty.

Two of my 3-shot groups measured 0.665" center to center for the .585 caliber bullet holes. Mitch may have done better himself at that 100 yard distance, but I was pleased with my introduction to the T. rex. After all, those two loads were burning more than 180 grains of VV 560 per trigger pull and that 750 grain bullet whacked the backstop with a "whomp" that reverberated for a long time after each shot, echoing up and down the 100 yard tunnel for ages after each shot it seemed. A new experience for me, and that is my guess as to the explanation of the phenomenon.

Another new experience was experiencing the torque with those 900 grain loads twisting down the bore in a 14 pound scoped rifle shot from the bench.

I didn't get a headache. The rifle is that well designed. The rifle should be in a museum, it is such a masterpiece.

It was also nice meeting Mitch's buddy Phil and visiting the local Outdoor Sports Shop. Good to see such a quality place in the midst of Long Island.

On my way back to Connecticut I stopped by Oyster Bay and Sagamore Hill to visit Teddy Roosevelt's grave, but the tour of the homestead will have to wait until next time.

As with birds of a feather, big bore nuts tend to flock together, so I am hoping to join Mitch and Phil next week at the outdoor rifle range. That kind of shock therapy is a real mood elevator.

Again, many thanks for your graciousness, Mitch, you are The King ...T. rex...LOL

<Mitch>
posted
RAB, it was my pleasure. Thank you for your kind words about my rifle.

Gentlemen, RAB is a gentleman of the first order, and oh boy can he ever shoot. The first two groups he shot with my t,rex measured just .665 each, to be frank I was amazed he was able to shoot my t.rex that well having never fired it before. Other than myself no one else has ever been able to shoot my t.rex with that kind of skill. To be honest it took me quite a while before I was able to shoot it with that kind of accuracy to say that I was impressed would be an be an understatement. Ron, I look forward to your next visit, hope to see you Saturday.

[This message has been edited by Mitch (edited 04-24-2001).]

Picture of Canuck
posted Hide Post
DANG if that don't sound like a tonne of fun!!!

Wish you guys lived closer so I could play too. Seems like everyone with a T-REX lives thousands of miles away. I guess the only solution is to gear up and be the West Coast connection myself.

Best regards,

Canuck.

Posts: 7121 | Location: The Rock (southern V.I.) | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote