Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

458 Lott Brass Login/Join

<D`Arcy Echols>
posted
I have 468 once and twice fired 458 lott cases I would like to sell. Most are HDS (Bell) and some Barnes (Win) for $100.00 plus shipping.I can be reached at (435)755-6842

one of us
Picture of Longbob
posted Hide Post
These are blessed by the Pope himself. Good to see you post. I would take them myself if I knew how to reload.

Posts: 3512 | Location: Denton, TX | Registered: 01 June 2001Reply With Quote
<Don G>
posted
D'arcy,

I call dibs! I will take them for $100. I have left messages every way I know how.

Don

<Don G>
posted
sold

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Don't forum leaders have to let the rest of us go first?

;-)

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
<Don G>
posted
Hey, 500grains,

Longbob had a shot at it!

I don't get any early notice on this stuff, so it was a fair fight!

After I get it I will sort as to mfg. I might sell or trade at least some of it, to keep from having to check/develop loads for the different cases.

Stay tuned!

Don

one of us
Picture of Longbob
posted Hide Post
Don G, I thought about it, but I don't know how to reload. Should learn. Right after I posted, I e-mailed JJHack and told him about these. For some reason, I thought that he was looking for some a little while back.

I have mixed feelings about reloading my 458 Lott. I didn't plan on shooting it that much and the cost of ammo is a governer.

<Don G>
posted
Longbob,

Buying ammo for a Lott would be an extreme "governor" for me. I can't imagine buying a single box!

Don

one of us
posted Hide Post
Don, Longbob and myself discussed this today. I personally don't see why you would need any reason not to shoot the evil abomination, but I am going to look into reloading some for him. Can you give me some tips?

1) Dies? I have a little lee single stage O-press. I'm betting I could make it work, but where to get dies? And for just his rifle and no other, do I have to size them?

2) Bullets? They use the same as a 45-70, correct? How long are they? I can handle up to .900" bullets with ease, and a little longer with some cheating. How long are the bullets?

3) Powder and primers?

Thanks!

[This message has been edited by ScottB (edited 12-16-2001).]

Posts: 1646 | Location: Euless, TX | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
<Don G>
posted
Scott,

I'm not familiar with the press you describe, but regular 458 Win dies can be made to work in my rockchucker. Any .458 diameter bullet will work. Since I have yet to load a live round of Lott ammo, I hesitate to go much further with the advice.

IMR4895 is a decent powder for that case for everything from 300 gr to 500 gr bullets.

Paul H has posted his experiences with the Lott, why not do a search on his name and Lott at the same time and get an experienced answer?

Don

one of us
posted Hide Post
I will. Thanks!

one of us
Picture of Longbob
posted Hide Post
Why do I get the feeling that you will load me different rounds than you will load for yourself?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Of course I'll make you some light ones, but you know I'm going to shoot full power

What is the twist rate on that barrel?

one of us
Picture of Longbob
posted Hide Post
Scott, I'll have to find out. Their website does not say. Someone here may know.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Scott, I reload for my Lott on a lee single using winmag dies. I bought my Lott from Paul H. and he also gave me his data.
I have used RE-7 and RE-15 but now use IMR3031 for my 400gr X's. I use Fed 215's for primers.

Posts: 204 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 06 December 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
That settles it then. We should be able to load some decent ammo with just a $30 set of Lee dies. Longbob, pick you out some bullets and powder (lets stay with 350gr or 400gr for length) and get some primers. We can get everything at Bass Pro in Grapevine, although we'll probably have to order the dies. I could also use one of those handy-dandy lube pads if they aren't expensive.

one of us
Picture of Longbob
posted Hide Post
It's 1 in 10. Now I'm gonna come clean with you. What we shot was just the break-in ammo. I have a whole box of ammo from Superior that has 5 different bullets (4 rounds each) like Woodleigh Softs, Barnes Solid, Swift, Trophy Bonded Bear Claw, and Barnes X. We have to go back out after I mount my Leupold 2.5 Compact, sight it in, and figure out which ammo it really likes. When should I pick you up?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey I'm up for it anytime. I'm going to bring a cordless drill and a small drill bit so we can do some porting to that barrel, and we can super-glue an old beer koozie to the butt. Not for me, but I noticed it was a little too powerful for you

Really, I noticed today that my shoulder was still bruised. As much as I hate to say it, something makes me want to do it all over again.

Paul H sent me some starting data, and we can discuss how we want to go about loading for it later. Also, I will be at the Market hall gun show on the 5th or 6th, so I will keep an eye out for components. You never know.

one of us
Picture of loud-n-boomer
posted Hide Post
I shoot my Lott (actually a Watts) a lot , my reloading data is posted in the "Favorite Loads" forum. The Lott is relatively easy to load for.

Shucks, in a well stocked gun, the Lott don't kick much worse than an ol' Ott-six , ol' odd six, oh ho six, . . . what twitch?

Posts: 3818 | Location: Eastern Slope, Colorado, USA | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
<Don G>
posted
Scott,

I don't know if the Lee 458 Win dies will work for a Lott. The RCBS FL sizer die is unusually long and does not have a crimping point in it like most rifle dies.

I have only heard of people doing this with RCBS dies.

FWIW,
Don

<CARR4570>
posted
I WAS READING IN THE A-SQUARE RELOADING MANUAL (I KNOW MANY PEOPLE HAVE MIXED OR STRONG FEELINGS ABOUT A-SQUARE) AND IT SAID THAT THE 458 WM DIES CAN BE ADJUSTED UP FOR THE LOTT BRASS. DO YOU NEED TO FULL LENGTH SIZE THE LOTT OR CAN YOU JUST "NECK" SIZE THIS STRAIGHT WALLED CASE?

<Sooner>
posted
Don G, I use Lee 458 WM dies to load my Lott. They work great but I do have to seat and crimp in seperate ops.

Carr4570, Yup the A2 manual is right you can back the dies out enough that it in a sense "neck" sizes it and in my guns improves accuracy and case life.

I remember someone posted about cutting the sizing die off a certain amount to create a ghost shoulder when the case is run up inside it. I can't find it now but if any one knows the specifics I would appreciate that info.

Sooner

<Don G>
posted
I read that most just "neck size" it with the WM die.

Norbert said "shorten the sizer to 48 mm". I would do some measuring, and shorten the sizer until the top of the case came out straight-walled with an ID just big enough to grab my bullets hard -- say .455.

Don

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a query in with Lee to see what it would cost to make a set for the Lott. We will see.

Anyone have any tips on figuring out the best trim length, or is does it space on the shoulder? And how do I figure out the best OAL?

We will start with fast powder loads for now. I figure I can just fill up the case with Bullseye, the name sounds real accurate, and maybe use a 185gr 45ACP SWC (just kidding)

one of us
Picture of loud-n-boomer
posted Hide Post
Trim to 2.795 for the 2.800 chamber, 2.845 for the 2.850 chamber. I have posted my loads in the "favorite loads" forum. You can use a .458 Winchester Lee crimp die for the Lott, if you make a collar to fit over the loaded round, that is .300" (I'm going from memory on the length) long. The best O.A.L. is either with the bullet .005 inches off of the rifling, or the maximum length that will fit in your magazine, less .010 inches.

[This message has been edited by loud-n-boomer (edited 12-19-2001).]

Posts: 3818 | Location: Eastern Slope, Colorado, USA | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
I don't recall if I posted it in my notes or not, but I did have a problem crumpling cases if they weren't trimmed to the same length. I just went 2.800". I found they'd grow to 2.807", and when the seating/crimp die was set up for a heavy crimp on the shorter case, it would crumple the longer one. I also found the crumpled cases chambered with no problems, and ironed right out on firing

I'd say start with the 458 win mag dies, then consider getting CH4D to make you a sizer. I'd also see if lee makes a factory crimp die for the 458 win mag, or even 45-70. You can use a cylindrical shim slid over the case to allow the shell holder to contact the crimp die. I use a 358 win factory crimp die with my 35 whelen, and a piced of 5/8" tubing. A piece of 3/4" tubing should be just right for the lott.

Based on the bruising I'd guess you guys don't use a past recoil pad? I highly recomend them for range work! I've never been bruised by the lott when using it.

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Paul H said"it ironed out on firing "

Hah,..I bet after shooting one you have the most well pressed shirt in the crowd as well, particularly the shoulder area

I want one!!!!!!

mike

Posts: 324 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Loading the Lott: Simple, especially if you have both a Lott and a 458 Win as I do. I use my 458 Win dies, and a 0.300" thick spacer under the die lock nut, so I so not have to constantly re-adjust the locknuts on the dies when going from 458 Win to Lott and back. I made the spacers, a simple lathe project.

Crimping: Use the Lee factory type crimp die, it is much, much, much, and much beter than the crimp you get in a conventional seating die. Makes a better, deeper crimp, expecially needed for those heavy bullets in the high recoil Lott, and you can get it deep into the cannulure.

As Paul said, if you do not have a Past Magnum pad, you are missing something.

Bullets: For the new reloader, remember that 45-70 bullets will not withstand the Lott velocities on game. OK for plinking.

The fun in shooting full house loads in the Lott is developing the correct backwards two step so you do not trip on your own feet, while maintaining good recovery of the rifle and getting back on target with a fresh round in the chamber. Sort of a DGR ballet.

Posts: 1055 | Location: Real Sasquatch Country!!! I Seen 'Em! | Registered: 16 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the advice, guys!

Longbob wants to eventually go with 500 solids I'm sure, but for now we'll just be playing and testing.

Still waiting to hear from Lee. Sometimes they'll piece things together cheaply for you. Who knows.

Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
John,

Do you expect to dance a jig when testing the 500 Jeffrey

My buddy who bought my lott had a new synthetic stock made, the rifle now weighs 8 1/4# as I recall. The barrel is ported.

The recoil really isn't that bad, I shot a 350 and 500 gr load out of it w/o the past pad, and no bruising.

one of us
posted Hide Post

I thought about building one of these 458 Lotts a couple of times, but after reading this thread I just have one question, can any of you still father children? -Sheister

Posts: 385 | Location: Hillsboro, Oregon | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Recoil really is not all that bad, provided the rifle is properly constructed. "Course it depends on how familar you are with the heavies also. Love that Past Super Magnum Pad! But, I have shot a few bad ones where I had to reach up with both hands to catch the rifle after each shot. One of 'em even knocked my glasses off.

Paul, I am practicing a new three step for the 500 Jeffery. Got a lightweight pair of aerobic workout shoes to wear instead of the Danner's.

Sheister, I Never thought about fathering children as related to shooting the DGR, you might be on to something. Maybe this divorced bachelor should shoot the heavies more often!

Posts: 1055 | Location: Real Sasquatch Country!!! I Seen 'Em! | Registered: 16 January 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by John Ricks:

Paul, I am practicing a new three step for the 500 Jeffery. Got a lightweight pair of aerobic workout shoes to wear instead of the Danner's.

John,

Just wondering, are you planning on doing that dance anytime soon? Grown boy sans big bore just wondering

Sheister,

You boys in Orygon must have a peculiar method of holding your rifles if you think a big bore will damage one's reproductive abilities. ;p

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sheister:

I thought about building one of these 458 Lotts a couple of times, but after reading this thread I just have one question, can any of you still father children? -Sheister

Not me, but I did shoot it twice in one day. Maybe that was a little too much?

one of us
Picture of Longbob
posted Hide Post
We already have our kids. You just get that part out of the way first.

one of us
Picture of Longbob
posted Hide Post
"Sort of a DGR ballet"

So John, would that be considered Controlled Round Feet?

------------------
So Mr. Anti, you eat the meat, but deny the kill. Please explain.

one of us
Picture of POP
posted Hide Post

Posts: 3863 | Location: Cheyenne, WYOMING, USA | Registered: 13 June 2000Reply With Quote