THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BIG BORE FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Big Bores    Anybody load 416 Rem in 350gr.?

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anybody load 416 Rem in 350gr.? Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of 404WJJeffery
posted
Looking for a lighter load for practice and smaller animals. I read a little bit about a 416 Rem load-350 gr at 2325.

Anybody try it? I don't have any down range ballistic info on it, but read that it generates about 37 pounds of recoil in a 10 lb rifle, which would make it less than the 375 H&H 300gr loads, also with less range, but suited for bush hunting.

Any comments?

"Are you gonna pull them pistols,...or whistle Dixie??"

Josie Wales 1866

Posts: 1489 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dr B
posted Hide Post
I load the 350gr Speer Granslam (Cheapest .416 bullet on Midway) as my pratice round. 84grs of RL 15 gives good accuracy, and could be used for any animal in North America.
DR B

one of us
posted Hide Post
I load a 350 gr mag tip out of my 416 taylor at 2450 kills just fine.

If I would want a tougher bullet I just load 350 barnes in it.

My taylor weighs 10lb on the head loaded ,scoped and sling.

Posts: 19361 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dave Bush
posted Hide Post
404WJJeffery:

I have Terry Wieland's new book, DANGEROUS GAME RIFLES. In his book, Terry sets forth information from Accurate Powder about how to work up a reduced load in any caliber using Accurate 5744. Here is how it works.

1. Determine the maximum charge per volume by filling the case to the base of the seated bullet.

2. Multiply that value by 0.40.

For example, a charge of 5744 that fills a .416 Rigby case to the base of the bullet weighs 102 grains. Multiplying this by .40 (40 percent) gives a load of 40 grains. That will be a good, safe, reduced load that will produce velocities of between 40 and 50 percent of a full-power load. One can load up to 48 percent for maximum lead bullet velocity. If you wanted to obtain the maximum possible velocity and pressure with jacketed bullets, it would be between 60 and 65 percent of full case capacity. 5744 is virtually insensitive to powder position and there is no need for fillers.

Johan tells me that this formula works with all bullet weights and that Accurate 5744 ignites so easily that any primer can be used. Drop him an e-mail at Accurate Powder and he can help you with your load for the .416 Remington.

Dave

Dave
DRSS
Chapuis 9.3X74
Chapuis "Jungle" .375 FL
Krieghoff 500/.416 NE
Krieghoff 500 NE

"Git as close as y can laddie an then git ten yards closer"

"If the biggest, baddest animals on the planet are on the menu, and you'd rather pay a taxidermist than a mortician, consider the 500 NE as the last word in life insurance." Hornady Handbook of Cartridge Reloading (8th Edition).

Posts: 3728 | Location: Midwest | Registered: 26 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 404WJJeffery:
Looking for a lighter load for practice and smaller animals. I read a little bit about a 416 Rem load-350 gr at 2325.

Anybody try it? I don't have any down range ballistic info on it, but read that it generates about 37 pounds of recoil in a 10 lb rifle, which would make it less than the 375 H&H 300gr loads, also with less range, but suited for bush hunting.

Any comments?

PM Don_G, he was using them to practice up for the Selous.

Posts: 3785 | Location: B.C. Canada | Registered: 08 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of waterrat
posted Hide Post
I load 350gr Xs at 2350fps and have never recovered a bullet. .423 but pretty darned close to 416.

I tend to use more than enough gun

Posts: 1409 | Location: lake iliamna alaska | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gumboot458
posted Hide Post
Most of the starting loads will do around ,2400 fps ...The Lee manuel 2nd edition shows 71 gr of Accurate 2230 yeilding 2328 fps w/ 350 gr Barnes X bullet .. It is a starting load.....I would be inclined to try 83 gr of 4350 it would give probably around 2300 fps...start at 80 gr and go from there.... Loading these larger cal rifles down a little works pretty good ,,,but a muzzel brake does a far better job of reduceing recoil..,.,. IMO the 416 Remington Mag is just about the best cartridge in existance........My current one is the best one Ive shot so far and I,m planning on building a few more......Befor the Interbonds eliminated the Hornady bullet from the affordable catagory ... Down loading them to 2200 fps made it a great general purpose ,playing around round ..It wouldn,t blood shock meat and could be relied on to knock a bear down.... And it was cheap and fun to shoot....The 350 Speer Hot Core fills that role now......

.If it can,t be grown , its gotta be mined ....

Posts: 3445 | Location: Copper River Valley , Prudhoe Bay , and other interesting locales | Registered: 19 November 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BigBullet
posted Hide Post

I use 80 grains Reloader 15 and 350 grain Speer Mag Tip. I get right at 2360 fps and it is an accurate target and practice load. Two weekends ago was the end of the Florida deer hunting season and I figured I would try to get some blood on my 416 RM, on a plump doe. Well no deer came by but a large bobcat took the 350 Mag Tip through the shoulder and fell over (of course). Come Sept, I hope the buffalo fall over as easily.

BigBullet

"Half the FUN of the travel is the esthetic of LOSTNESS" Ray Bradbury
https://www.facebook.com/Natal...443607135825/?ref=hl

Posts: 1212 | Location: Lorraine, NY New York's little piece of frozen tundra | Registered: 05 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I like the Speer mag tip 350 gr bullets.Its about the cheapest .416 bullet around and is very good for North American hunting.My reduced recoil load for the 416 rem mag is 76 grs of reloader 15 with a federal 215 primer .I got 2400 out of my Winchester model 70 with 24 " barrel.Barnes quit making my favorite bullet the 325 gr x bullets.I have about 200 I only use hunting.I am glad I got all the reloading stuff for my 416 rem mag when I did .It hads all gone way up in price.The 416 rem mag is still kinda cheap to reload with the speer 350 gr bullet .Its alot cheaper than factory stuff.

Posts: 2534 | Registered: 21 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I use commercially cast RCBS 350grain gas checked lead bullet for the 416 Remington and Rigby.

The sweet spot for accuracy is 1,900 - 2,000 fps. I started at 35 grains 5744, and worked up. IIRC, I load 39 grains for 1,975 fps and pretty darn good accuracy. The bullets cost $9.00/50. For actual hunting, Beartooth makes some nice gas checked and heat treated bullets. H 4895 would work well for those as well as the 5744.

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote