THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BIG BORE FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Big Bores    Mauser Double Sq Bridge question

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mauser Double Sq Bridge question Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of FAST996
posted
I am looking at a Obendorf mauser rifle that is represented as a Dbl sq bridge. I have seen pics and the one I am interested in looks different. The raised front bridge is quite a bit higher than smaller bridge (breech) is only about raised a 1/8th of a inch. It also runs completely across with no step up. Sorry I don't have picture and it is hard to explain.

I think these guns are rare as this is a post war. Most I have seen look different as the breech side bridge is stepped up more. This particular rifle has the serial number below the bridge.

Does anybody have a picture of a obendorf Mauser with the Dbl sq bridge. BTW it is a magnum action.

Thanks
Gary

"A long life, and the good sense to live it." ...Quintis Arrius

375H&H,404J,416DAK,458AFR,416RIG,450RIG,505GIB

Avatar: Gregory Peck & Susan Hayward in Africa

NRA member

one of us
posted Hide Post
Well, here are a couple of partial page scans from pages 169 and 170 of Original Oberndorf Sporting Rifles by Jon Speed et al.
This ought to get things started.
You should not refer to a "breech" bridge.
There is a front bridge and a rear bridge and the front is closer to the breech than the rear.
Magnum Mausers had double square bridges (front and rear) or single square bridge (rear only).

The origin of the double square bridge on the standard length action, this one for a 9.3x62mm Mauser:

The Magnum Mauser with single and double square bridges:

What are the other markings? "Waffenfabrik Mauser A.G. Oberndorf" (Mauser Werkes) "MW" billboard, year, SN proper? etc.

The square bridges were originally meant as an aid for scope mounting, more metal for machining the claw recesses without weakening or dovetailing a bridge/receiver ring, etc.
I thought they were usually parallel along their top surfaces unless altered. There are some pretty masterful gunsmith add-ons of square bridges to standard actions out there.
Sounds a bit odd as described. Serial numbers were stamped beside the front bridge and adjacent on barrel left side above the wood, as pictured. That is just my 2 cents for free.

Posts: 28032 | Location: KY | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of FAST996
posted Hide Post
Thanks RIP

I have this book on order. Great info. Definately looks like the more rounded ones probably closer to the model "B". Of course some gunsmith could have made a front bridge I guess.

I have never had a Mauser before but I'm probably hooked.

The front bridge looks like the rounded bridge with a slightly squared rise running the total length with only the step visible on the sides with numbers and markings or the model "B" with the bridge full lenghth.

Anyway thanks for answering.

BTW RIP your not ready for a rest are you? Too much hunting to do. Like the general told Aureus "A long life and the good sense to live it".

Gary

NRA member

one of us
posted Hide Post
Gary,
Welcome. You jogged me to look at the "New Mauser" site and discover they have added some neat and handy thumbnail history of the old models there:

http://www.mauserwaffen.de/The-Rifles.156.0.html?&L=1

And they are now offering the standard-sized M98 with double square bridges in 9.3x62, and more:

http://www.mauserwaffen.de/Rifles.61.0.html?&L=1

www.mauserwaffen.de

This new one is supposed to be patterned after the 1936 Oberndorf Mauser, a faithful copy:

One of Us
Picture of FAST996
posted Hide Post
A new M98 magnum mauser in 416 rigby. I like it. RIP do you know what the tarrif is for one of these new Mausers?

Thanks
Gary

NRA member

one of us
Picture of JefferyDenmark
posted Hide Post
They are still available from Mauser.
They cost more then 10K.
I have handled them at IWA in Nürnberg and they where very nice.

Cheers,

André

Always always use enough... GUN & KNIFE

Posts: 2293 | Location: The Kingdom of Denmark | Registered: 13 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
And I think Gary has found a Single Square Bridge Magnum Mauser.

Made by Jurie Majoor?
Alf will help him sort it out. Wink

one of us
posted Hide Post
/

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The NEW production M98 Magnum Mauser with good options will cost you around $15,000. Not too bad when you consider that most quality custom M98 knock-offs cost the same.

Posts: 13301 | Location: On the Couch with West Coast Cool | Registered: 20 June 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
/

One of Us
Picture of FAST996
posted Hide Post
Alf you have a great collection of Mausers. I am new here but I have seen some of your posts with pics. The rifles are all very fine. How long have you had the Mauser passion?

NRA member

One of Us
posted Hide Post
ALF, I see you have a 100 year commemorative .416 mauser, I have nr. 67/100 of them..

I think it is too light for calibre, punches the crap out of me so to speak.. Big Grin

What do you think about them?

I am considering a mercury recoil reducer in the butt....your opinion...?

Posts: 3974 | Location: Vell, I yust dont know.. | Registered: 27 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
/

one of us
posted Hide Post
My actual measured single specimen:
The SIGARMS 450 Dakota Double Square Bridge Magnum Mauser 98 weighs 9.5 pounds bare. It has a muzzle diameter of only 0.668" and barrel length of 24.5", cold hammer forged rifling, 1:14" twist.
14.75" LOP over a 3/4" pad.
Prechtl action with Mauser flag safety and no scope mounting provisions.
It has excellent factory glass bedding throughout and good crossbolts, but no barrel recoil lug.
One fixed-standing rear sight leaf, flat-topped with U-notch and a 1/8" brass bead up front.
This is the "basic magnum model" that Cabelas was selling for $5995.00 a few years ago.
http://www.mauserwaffen.de/Specifications.81.0.html?&L=1

Sumbuddy with a .416 Rigby similar to this (even if it is one of those one-of-one-hundred, 100-Year Commemoratives) please put that baby on the scales and give us the barrel measurements for comparison, pretty please.