Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Improved 9.3x74 Zoli Login/Join

<BBS>
posted
I have a friend who wants to improve his 9.3*74 Zoli to get better case life. Has anyone had problems with case life? My friend is getting 2 firings before separation at the web. I would have to check but I think the brass is Norma. The loads are a little hot to get the barrels to regulate.

one of us
Picture of Andre Mertens
posted Hide Post
See post regarding headspace in .375 HH on the reloading forum : same answer. I had the same problem until I adjusted my sizing die to headspace on the shoulder (there's just enough of it) instead of on the rim.
NB. : I would further advise :
1. don't overdo it and give the shoulder a slight bump for the (double) rifle to close easily. Too tight a fit puts a burden on the rifle's hinge and may loosen it prematurely ;
2. most double rifles are handmade and chambers may differ slightly. Adjust your sizing to the (eventual) smaller chamber and try each hunting load in both to check for proper fit.

------------------
Andr�

Posts: 2420 | Location: Belgium | Registered: 25 August 2001Reply With Quote
<BBS>
posted
Thanks Andre
I think my friend was trying to head space on the shoulder, I will let him know about the potential problem with the hinge.

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
BBS, the Zoli rifles are a little
"springy" and are hard on brass in any event,and NORMA brass is soft, but he may very well have a headspace problem. Take two different colored dye-markers and color the base of half his rounds with one, and the other half with the other color. use, say the red in the top chamber, and the blue in the bottom chamber for two or three loadings, and see which barrel is doing the most dammage to the brass. If it is the top barrel then you probably have a springy action, and you need to find a lighter load that will regulate. The way to go, however, is as ANDRE says try the shoulder headspace first. The problem with this route is, there is very little shoulder on a 9.3X74 R case.

------------------
..Mac >>>===(x)===>
DUGABOY DESIGNS
Collector/trader of fine double rifles, and African wildlife art

[This message has been edited by MacD37 (edited 08-28-2001).]

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I agree with everybody around here: the .366 is a Big Bore! Now, Saeed, would You please change the text accordingly in the Big Bore definition ?

For anybody seeking 9.3x74R brass: RWS, Geco ( cheapo line from RWS ), Hirtenberg, Sellier&Bellot, Lapua !! Sako, ( Lapua? ), Winchester ( Euro line, perhaps Sako, as loads look identical on paper )

Have fun! H

------------------

Posts: 828 | Location: Europe | Registered: 13 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Andre Mertens
posted Hide Post
I'll second aHunter on this one, Saeed. Let's pay the 9,3's their due

------------------
Andr�

Posts: 2420 | Location: Belgium | Registered: 25 August 2001Reply With Quote
<BBS>
posted
Thanks MacD
I will let my friend know, it may be a while now till he gets to try it as he is working in the USA and the rifle is still here in Australia

one of us
posted Hide Post
The 9.3x74 is designed to head space on the rim and it has too much slope to headspace on the shoulder....

I suspect you may have shot it off the face with thoes hot loads...Doubles are a world of their own and one shot will ruin them if you play bolt action games and overload them just a little....

Back of and see what happens, but it may be too late...but maybe not.

------------------
Ray Atkinson

ray@atkinsonhunting.com
atkinsonhunting.com

Posts: 41859 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote