Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

9.3X64 on Buff Login/Join

<Cobalt>
posted
Have any of you guys used this caliber on Buffalo? Seems I recall Ray using a rifle in this caliber on a cull hunt. Ray, do you remember which bullets you used? Spoke with my smith this weekend and he said my rifle is almost complete Cobalt

one of us
posted Hide Post
Cobalt,
I used the 320 gr. Woodleigh solid and on the another ocasion I used a 286 Tug or Tig, can't remember and I think it was RWS factory. today I would use the GS solid for Buffalo and the 320 Woodleigh soft for herd shooting...The 250 Balistic tip is great for plainsgame as is the 286 Nosler..The nice thing about this 9.3x64 I just built up is it will shoot all that stuff to the same POI...its for sale too!!

------------------
Ray Atkinson

ray@atkinsonhunting.com
atkinsonhunting.com

Posts: 41859 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
Picture of Canuck
posted Hide Post
I watched a guy use one on a bison once. He was using a TUG bullet (from RWS) but I could swear he said it was 296gr. (maybe it was 286 though, I am not really that familiar with the 9.3mm offerings).

Anyhoo, bullet performance and penetration was equal to the 300gr Swift out of my .375H&H. For all practical purposes, I don't think there's a whit of difference between them. The TUG looks like a great bullet.

FWIW, Canuck.

Posts: 7121 | Location: The Rock (southern V.I.) | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
<Cobalt>
posted
Mucho thanks, guys. I remember the pics you posted of your 64, Ray. I am still drooling, but alas, all I can do at the present is just a working gun on a CZ 550 action. Cobalt

<redleg155>
posted
Cobalt,

I have some RWS "TUG" bullets that I probably won't use if you're interested. I think I have one or two boxes of 50. They are 293 grain.

Send me an e-mail if you want them - make an offer.

regards,

redleg

Picture of Canuck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by redleg155:
RWS "TUG" bullets...They are 293 grain.

That was it! Thank you, thank you, thank you....That was absolutely killing my brain. I knew 296 didn't sound right.

Canuck

Posts: 7121 | Location: The Rock (southern V.I.) | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
I just bought a Merkel 141E double rifle chambered for 9.3x74R, and I plan on shooting a couple Buffalo with it, useing Woodliegh solids, and softs! Ray has used the 9.3x64 quite a bit, and he seems sattisfied with it's performance! That's good enough for me!

------------------
..Mac >>>===(x)===>
DUGABOY DESIGNS
Collector/trader of fine double rifles, and African wildlife art

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mac,
You surly need to try some of GS FN solids, they are the very best and kill like a soft while penitrating like the dickens....I don't know if they penitrate like a regular monolithic or Woodleigh, but they go through everything they hit, and thats about enough penitration to suit most......internal damage is visably more destructive than any solid I have used and near that of a soft...

------------------
Ray Atkinson

ray@atkinsonhunting.com
atkinsonhunting.com

Posts: 41859 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
This is my first post on this forum, so I would like to say hello to everybody!

I have been reading this forum for a couple of month now, and have to honestly express my respect for the experience and wisdom of the members!
Thanks for a lot helpfull and entertaining information!

Here a question for Ray: I know you are a fan of classic rounds, especially for old european ones like the 9,3x74R in doubles. And I see you are THE expert (at least on this forum) on 9.3 rounds, theoretically and in practice. Do you think the 9,3x74R with the GS 270gr FN will be sufficient on Cape Buffalo? Would the 300gr FN eventually be better, or is stepping up to Woodleigh 320gr SN or solid the way to go?

I apologize for my poor english, may be practicing on this forum will impove it a little ...

Sincerely

Franz A. Holzer
Hunter/Austria

[This message has been edited by Daydreamer (edited 10-04-2001).]

Posts: 202 | Location: Vienna/Austria | Registered: 04 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Franz,
I'll just have to make an educated guess on the 9.3x74 as I have not used it...I have, however, used the 9.3x62 and 9.3x64..

I suspect the 270 gr. GS solid would work best in the 9.3x74 because the velocity is down a bit on the 74 from the other two 9.3's and I'm sure it would have a lot of penitraiton and killing power, with the extra velocity obtainable with the lighter bullets...I have had clients shoot Buff with the 9.3x74 using the 320 gr. Woodleigh they apparently had no trouble at all.

I personally would go with the GS FN 270 gr. thats what I am now using in my 9.3x62 and 64. I push them as fast as I can in the 9.3x62 and at normal velocity in the 64....

Thats my call, and I'm just guessing, for the most part..I will know a little more when I get back from Africa this year as I will be using GS solids in my 450-400-3" and Northfork bullets in my plainsgame rifle, whatever I decide on, a 300 H&H or 8x57 or the 9.3x?

------------------
Ray Atkinson

ray@atkinsonhunting.com
atkinsonhunting.com

one of us
posted Hide Post
Cobalt

Sorry for jumping to the 9.3x74R - I know this topic is 9.3x64, but if the same premium bullet will work with 200fps less - aside twist-rate - it should not make so much difference not to presume similar effects with the x64.
Regarding the TUG bullets (Brenneke Torpedo-Unsiversal-Gechoss), hunters in Europe seem to be afraid of too much barrel wearout because of the hard material called "Fluss-stahl". Don't know if this really is an issue.

Ray

Cheers for answering my question. Takes me wonder that you haven't got a nice Merkel or Krieghoff in 9.3x74R. Is this because your 9.3x62 results come from higher performance due increased max pressures only?

As you know the x74R is the rimmed twin of the 9.3x62, same performance and perfect to use it in a light double, makes a very appealing hunting package.

I think about using the GS 230gr HV together with the 270gr FNs for my Africa trip (don't know when this will be - but I will go there for sure!).

I have an O/U double (Tikka 512 9 # incl. scope)with ejectors and single trigger, should be enough for all circumstances a guest hunter has to consider, I won't go (plan) for elephants.

Theoretically the HV will be down 2" at 200 meters, and the FNs will then be on zero AT 100 meters - does anyone really need more?

With the GS FNs the round seems to have plenty penetration capabilities - so why not saving the money for the 416 Rigby, OK I would love to have one - but sure can't handle its recoil with same ease, and have a little safari instead?

Hope to get more infos regarding Gerards bullets performance - but I am already found of the concept!

Franz

[This message has been edited by Daydreamer (edited 10-05-2001).]

Posts: 202 | Location: Vienna/Austria | Registered: 04 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hello Franz! More Europeans at this board than anywhere else!

Mac, congratulations at Your newest purchase. I want one of these myself, so keep us posted about Your results. Accuracy, what factory load it is regulated, and of course Your handloads.

A Merkel in 450/400 3 or 3 1/4" will be never made I presume ...

Good shooting! Hermann

------------------

Posts: 828 | Location: Europe | Registered: 13 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Daydreamer,
You are correct as I load the 9.3x62 bolt guns I own, hotter n hell (almost)....You would be looking at more like 2520 FPS with a 286 Nosler; 2300 FPS with a 320 Woodleigh; and 2450 with a 300 gr. Swift...

Also, if I'm going to shoot a double, I'll use my 450-400-3" Jefferys..I am not a fan of O/U double rifles. I do like O/U shotguns.

I seriouly doubt that your 9.3x74 Double will regulate with both 230 and 270 gr. bullets, most will not but a rare few will. If yours will then for goodness sake hang on to it, it is a jewell indeed....

------------------
Ray Atkinson

ray@atkinsonhunting.com
atkinsonhunting.com

one of us
posted Hide Post
Ray

I have already ordered the GS 230 HVs and 270 FNs, I will check weather they group or not.

Gerard advised me to go with this combination because of the required twist for the 230gr HVs (14"), otherwise I would have chosen the 260gr HV, but the recommended minimum twist for it is 12".

The barrels for the O/U are adjustable, so I have to play around with speed to get almost same POI for the two bullets - I know this is a tall order for two different barrels - and then regulate the barrels by adjusting from outside.

I know there is a little chance to get it working, but wouldn't it be hell of a versatile combination!

I guess if this will work with the 9.3x74R, it would also be feasible for the 9.3x62 and the 9.3x64, and a lot easier to achieve in a bold gun too.

Keep you updated on that.

------------------
-------------------------
Franz A. Holzer

Franz@Holzer.com

<Daryl Elder>
posted
Ray, I'm curious as to what velocities you are getting in the 9.3 Brenneke with the Nosler 286Part?Powder/charge?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Dayrl,
I emailed you a list of loads...

------------------
Ray Atkinson

ray@atkinsonhunting.com
atkinsonhunting.com

<Cobalt>
posted
Ray,
I would be most interested in those '64 loads also. I am looking for my bbl/action back from the smith any day now. Thanks, Cobalt

one of us
posted Hide Post
My best loads...cut loads 10% and work up for your gun....

Federal 210 primers and RWS brass...

286 Nosler 77 grs. H414 2701
75 IMR 4350 2650

250 gr.(Swift and Bal. tips)
77 grs WW760 2850(hot)
77 H414 2820
68 IMR4320 2790 Best

300 Swift
67 IMR4320 2560

320 Woodleih
65 IMR4895 2475
62 IMR4895 2410
Can sub H4895

------------------
Ray Atkinson

ray@atkinsonhunting.com
atkinsonhunting.com

<Daryl Elder>
posted
Thanks, Ray. I got your data. I have had good results with Varget. I load 72grs. under a Speer 270 SP w/ WLRM for about 2800fps--not much good for anything outside North America. I also worked up to 69grs. Varget under a Nosler 286 Part. w/ WLRM for about 2750fps but I think it's a little too hot. This fall I hunted elk w/ 286gr. Barnes X over 65 grs.Varget for a moderate 2500fps, but those suckers seem a little harder to push. I have accumulated a lot of other data from numerous sources but haven't had the time to test the loads. I appreciate your data as one can never get enough info. Thanks again, Daryl.

<Cobalt>
posted
Thanks Ray