THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BIG BORE FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Big Bores    9" forearm length for my 404 jeffery ?

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

9" forearm length for my 404 jeffery ? Login/Join

one of us
posted
I'm having an English blank turned for a 404 jeffery I'm building. I want a short forearm, I'm thinking 9" from the front screw. Probably going with a 24" barrel. If I've asked this before I've slept since then.

Am I on the right track or is that two short.

Posts: 1868 | Location: League City, Texas | Registered: 11 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
I measured several of my rifles, some of which have fairly short forearms. None are as short as 9" from the front guard screw (2 are about 9.75", a custom Brno and an original Oberndorf). I think 10" would be about right for the 24" barrel.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I looked at some pics I had and measured some of my rifles and 9 maybe to short. 10 maybe closer.

maybe someone will throw a pic or two out with a measure ment, I've never built a gun with a short forearm.

Posts: 1868 | Location: League City, Texas | Registered: 11 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of mbogo375
posted Hide Post
Billy,

I don't measure from the front screw, instead I measure from the front of the receiver. Using this measurement, I have measured a number of original British sporters from the "name" makers. The Rigbys tend to be the shortest in general, with some being down to 6" and others up to about 9". My 350 Rigby measures 7.5".

My 375 Jeffery measures 9.5", and my 333 Jeffery is shorter than that (but I don't remember the exact length). My Holland 375 Flanged on an 1892 Steyr action is a bit over 6". My Army&Navy Enfield measures 8.5". These are the ones that I can remember or get to easily, but they are representative of most original express style stocks (there are some exceptions, of course).

I don't know if all that helps any, but based on the above I decided to go with 8.5" on the CZ 416 that I am having done now (and wish I had gone with 8" instead ). I would guess that depending on the action that you are using, your 9" measurement would equate to 8 1/4" to 8 1/2" the way that I measure. This should look great on a classic express style rifle if you are using a barrel-band swivel base.

Good luck with your 404, and don't forget to post pics!!!!

Jim

Posts: 1206 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 21 July 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of mbogo375
posted Hide Post
Quote:

I looked at some pics I had and measured some of my rifles and 9 maybe to short. 10 maybe closer.

maybe someone will throw a pic or two out with a measure ment, I've never built a gun with a short forearm.

Billy,

Ask, and you shall receive .

All measurements are from front of receiver.

Top is Jeffery 375 with 9.5" forearm

Middle is Rigby 350 with 7.5" forearm

Bottom is H&H 375 Flanged NE with 6" forearm

If you would like other pics just let me know.

Jim

One more pic- this is a 404 Jeffery built on a Mauser action, and it has an 8.5" forearm with 24" barrel (about what you have in mind). (Edited: Sorry, the 404 barrel is actually closer to 23".)

Posts: 1206 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 21 July 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey guys thanks for the info, I was measuring from the front screw, didnt know if was from the front of the receiver, learn something everyday.

8-9 inches looks about right.