Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Extra stock for 460 Wthby Login/Join

one of us
posted
Well I finally convinced a buddy of mine to bed his 460 before we shoot any full power loads. I read on another post about having a second stock and keep the factory original for display. He has the laser engraved stock so this makes a lot of sense. Any ideas as to what make of stock to put on this beast and where might we find one. We are in Canada so this just makes the challenge even tougher. Smokey

Posts: 160 | Location: Whitehorse Yukon Canada | Registered: 20 April 2001Reply With Quote
<Todd G>
posted
Smokey,

Do you want wood or plastic (oops I mean composite)? I know a good stock maker if you are interested in wood. If you want composite I would reccomend McMillan I believe that they make a stock for the Weatherby MkV long action.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I believe he will go sythetic, but one of the concerns is the lighter weight in such a large calibre. Any idea how much lighter a synthetic stock would be compared to a wood one? Smokey

Posts: 160 | Location: Whitehorse Yukon Canada | Registered: 20 April 2001Reply With Quote
<Bill Tompkins>
posted
Smokey,
McMillan can adjust the weight of the stock for you, just request it at the time of ordering but have some idea in mind of how much it should weigh.
If you cannot get the weight adjusted to your satisfaction then you can use recoil reducers or lead shot in the butt and lead shot or what I use, hydraulic lifter rods in the forearm. The lifter rods are installed by roughing out a channel in the forearm, then filling it about 1/2 full with Agraglas. Submerge the rods in the 'glas until they fill with the 'glas and add more glass if needed. This also increases the stiffness of the forearm.
Bill