THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BIG BORE FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Big Bores    Sights on big bore bolt guns

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sights on big bore bolt guns Login/Join

One of Us
posted
My older eyes are being challenged with focusing on three points these days (rear barrel bladed sight, front sight and target).
Typically the rear sight becomes out of focus.
Probably still functional to 30 yds.
Trying to decide to simply remove the stand up in the rear sight and replace with blade.
Now: Install a rear ghost ring, a reflex or a good 1 X5,6,8 scope.
I can use all three pretty well. Reflex is probably the fastest. The scope adds some flexibility and the units i have tried worked very well at 1X. Easy to shoot with both eyes open.
The rear ghost ring is likely the least likely to fail in any manner and requires no batteries.
Curious what others familiar with these options think?
This is on big bore I would not likely shoot over 100 yds.

EZ

Posts: 3256 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've been doing quite a bit of shooting lately with a 458 Lott and 375 H&H in prep for a hunt and have been using all three modalities quite a bit. The 375 is fitted with NECG express rear and red fiber optic front, as well as a Swaro 1-6 illuminated (CDi reticle). The 458 has NECG express rear (with a tritium center line) and red fiber optic front site, as well as a Kahles Helia 2MOA RD.

I'm having no trouble with the express sights on either rifle, or the Helia RD. The Swaro is an EE model and I have a slight bit of trouble with eye-box from time to time if I crawl the stock too much (even on 1x).

I'm REALLY liking the open sight setup on the 458. Tim from Matrix fitted the tritium centerline rear sight as a trial piece he's working on and it makes a quite night "dot the I" set up, similar to the Heinie Straight-8 pistol sights. With the 2mm red FO front sight, its really quite and quite easy to see quickly. I'm looking at it through (assumedly) younger eyes, so YMMV, but worth a try.

Posts: 1427 | Location: Shelton, CT | Registered: 22 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Night force makes nice 1X8X24 with sort of illuminated circle dot reticle I prefer. They note it can easily handle the Lott recoil. Looked at it at the DSC convention; nice scope.
Only issue is 3.75" eye relief.
Leupold used to offer a illuminated circle dot on their VX6HD but have not seen it lately. Perhaps a custom shop option.
A couple of reflex options with a circle dot.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
When my eyes finally insisted I use something other than the irons on my #1 400 Jeff, I went the Easy Button route.

I put on a 1.5-4x20mm in low rings to solve the problem. As an aside, I'm a bit surprised the scope hasn't yet crapped out on me. It wasn't that much $$$.

Posts: 106 | Location: Wet Side, WA | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
eezridr,

I vote for a scope everytime regardless of what your intended use might be. Irons to me are only a back up. My big rifle these days has a detachable scope and a ghost ring that fits on the scope base. With a fluorescent dot front site and the ghost ring I'm good even with my old man eyes.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12869 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm in the process of building a 500 Jeff.Customer will have a Trijicon at the front ring location and back up irons

Anxious to try that out. He wisely wanted back up irons because doesn't FULLY trust any battery operated device.

I put a 1-4 Kahles on my own 500 way back when..Dumb idea!

Posts: 3461 | Location: Phone: (253) 535-0066 / (253) 230-5599, Address: PO Box 822 Spanaway WA 98387 | www.customgunandrifle.com | Registered: 16 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use Brockman peep which is basically a Talley base with a peep on the back. I do have that on three rifles. ; A 375 Weatherby, 416 Remington and 458 win mag.
Not certain if Brockman makes a base for a CZ 550.
I know CZ/BRNO at one time made a peep that was milled into the rear of the receiver and you could "pin" it down and still mount a scope base on the pad.
Probably just a milling operation if the peep components were still available.
NECG makes peep that attaches to the rear part of the receeiver but would block adding a scope. Mixed reviews on that option.

quote:
Originally posted by MARK H. YOUNG:
eezridr,

I vote for a scope everytime regardless of what your intended use might be. Irons to me are only a back up. My big rifle these days has a detachable scope and a ghost ring that fits on the scope base. With a fluorescent dot front site and the ghost ring I'm good even with my old man eyes.

Mark

One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
I am blessed and can still see a gold center-lined, wide V rear express sight well enough, and allow it to blur a bit, so that I can focus on my red fiber optic bead front sight well enough, to pull the bead down into the very bottom center of the V.

And still shift focus well enough and see my target well enough to aim the rifle at it. Big Grin

That combo of gold line rear and red fiber optic front iron sights has always worked and continues to work well for me.

Knock on wood.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13396 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Although I use a scope on everything else, I use a Lyman 48 receiver sight in conjunction with a sourdough front sight on a Williams ramp on my .505 SRE.

Consideering how close the ranges were that I used the rifle at, it was a good choice, mated with a stock which fits perfectly and lines my eye up with the sight automatically. It has never failed me.

one of us
posted Hide Post
A proper pair of glasses and a Receiver sight with a post have worked for me at 88 years old, over the last few years on the real big bores..I liked the 3X Leupold and still do on a 404 or 414 Rem..I have also noted my LOP has required changing from a 14.25 to a 13.5..As you age the shoes don't fit!

flash: You have never been able to bore in on 3 objects, only two and one blur since birth, same for the rest of us..Peep sight corrects that as do scopes..gives you only two to concentrate on..

If you have a nice set of barrel front and rear sights, usually a V, then sight you rifle in with a picture of a pistol sight, the post flush with the top of the V, an old Texas Ranger trick and it works as well and as fast as a receiver sight..We all have to deal with this as we age, so don't give up..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41859 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Puddle:
When my eyes finally insisted I use something other than the irons on my #1 400 Jeff, I went the Easy Button route.

I put on a 1.5-4x20mm in low rings to solve the problem. As an aside, I'm a bit surprised the scope hasn't yet crapped out on me. It wasn't that much $$$.

I have a Leupold 1.5-5x on my 500 Jeffery, no issues and it hasn't bit me. I don't shoot the 500 prone though.

Regards,

Chuck

"There's a saying in prize fighting, everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Michael Douglas "The Ghost And The Darkness"

Posts: 4731 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: 01 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It may be just me but I have never seen the need for a scope on a real big bore, 458 Win and up. An elephant at 15 yards or a buffalo at under a 100 seems to be a pretty easy shot to make, no matter how you cut it..I would think a hunter could hit a washtub at 200 plus yards with irons..Some might be better off with a replacement scope in their duffle..

As for me I enjoy shooting irons while hunting or busting rocks..If one has not shot running jack rabbits at 25 to 300 yards with irons, they have missed a kick! and absolutely become better shots...Don't get upset over a miss, it happens a lot..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41859 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote