THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BIG BORE FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Big Bores    What's your most accurate big bore?

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What's your most accurate big bore? Login/Join

one of us
posted
Though I don't really consider it a "big bore" per say,my Browning High Wall 45/70 with a stiff charge of IMR-4064 and a Remington 405 grain FNSP will put three into one ragged hole at 100 yards,using a Leupold 2x7 Compact.

------------------
"Only accurate rifles are interesting"

[This message has been edited by Brian M (edited 11-16-2001).]

Posts: 529 | Location: Humboldt County,CA | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
My 450 Dakota or 416 Rigby, about a toss up. Either one is minute of buffalo shoulder at 100yds!

Posts: 1148 | Location: The Hunting Fields | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
<Terry P>
posted
My Ruger 77 in 416 Rigby. A one hole group (3 shots) with 350 gr Barnes X on top of a maximum charge of Rel 22.

one of us
posted Hide Post
9.3x62 (it gets the title being the largest boar I own). Shoots sub 1" groups at 100 yds w/ 270 grain RNS

Posts: 1723 | Location: wyo | Registered: 03 March 2001Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Brian,

We have a 416 Rigby Improved that shot a 6 round group - 3 Bear Claw 400 grain and 3 Barnes 400 Super Solids - into one ragged hole measuring about 0.770. Both loads are going around 2460-2480 fps.

We also have a 375/404 that shot this group with Barnes X 300 grain. Velocity is around 2700, and the group is around 0.300.

As my friend John said, this is good enough for a "minute-of buffalo" rifle!

------------------
saeed@ emirates.net.ae

www.accuratereloading.com

Posts: 66985 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
This may come as no suprise but I give the nod to my .416 Rigby Ruger #1 followed by a #1 in .375 H&H.

------------------
JR

Posts: 1257 | Location: Colusa CA U.S.A. | Registered: 27 June 2001Reply With Quote
<Mcbain>
posted
While it may not be the type of big bore you are referring to, my State Arms "Dicke Berta" is a 1/2 MOA gun out to the furthest I have been able to shoot (so far 500 yards). My Model 70 .416 Rem. will do about an inch at 100 yards.

Jesse

<Mitch>
posted
Don't laugh but my 577 Tyrannosaur is my most accurate big bore. In fact it is my most accurate rifle period. It will shoot one hole groups at 100 yrds all day IF I do my part. Best group is .172 so far. The load was 193.0 grains of H4831 behind a 650 gr. Grain Woodleigh SN. the velocity was 2539 fps.

[This message has been edited by Mitch (edited 11-16-2001).]

Administrator
posted Hide Post
Mitch my friend,

Glad to have back with us again!

You and my friend Roy Vincent are glutton for punishment! Shooting a 577 off the bench for groups! Did you forget that it was NOT designed for this sort of shooting?

If it shoots within One Minute Of Elephant is fine for me

[This message has been edited by Saeed (edited 11-16-2001).]

Posts: 66985 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
<BMG>
posted
Definately my BMG. At 600yds during load development, I shot a four shot group that was 2.75". In FCSA competetion, my best five shot group at 1000yds is 16.25" (ho-hum for the bench-rest guys, but I'm NOT shooting a BR gun). She averages MOA most of the time out to 800yds, beyond that environmental conditions really take effect.

<Mitch>
posted
Saeed, I am sure Roy does not feel the pain of recoil like most mortals. I am sure his brain has turned to mush just like my brain has after shooting so many big boomers.

one of us
Picture of Big Bore
posted Hide Post
This one is easy, by far the 50 BMG is my most accurate rifle. With M33 IMI ball I routinely get 1.744-2.380" 5 shot groups at 500 yards. Now if I can just get my handloads up and running...

[This message has been edited by Big Bore (edited 11-17-2001).]

Posts: 641 | Location: Indiana, U.S.A. | Registered: 21 October 2000Reply With Quote
<Bill T>
posted
My .460 Weatherby is by far my most accurate big bore. It will cut ragged 1 hole groups all day long with Hornady 500 gr. soft points. It's accuracy will last far longer than I will! Bill T.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Actually my 450-400 Jefferys double is the most accurate at 50 yds but beyound that my 404 and 416 or inch guns at 100 with a 3X scope...Thats more of an individual gun thing not caliber....

I tend to shoot the smaller guns better, and anyone who thinks they can shoot a 505 Gibbs as well as a 222 is full of prunes, or needs a shrink that specializes in sadistic self mutilation cultism...

------------------
Ray Atkinson

ray@atkinsonhunting.com
atkinsonhunting.com

Posts: 41859 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
Picture of Canuck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mitch:
Best group is .172 so far. The load was 193.0 grains of H4831 behind a 650 gr. Grain Woodleigh SN. the velocity was 2539 fps.

I can hear Tim the Toolman grunting in the background when I read that!!

Man, that is just too impressive to describe in this language. I just gotta try that one day!

193 grains of powder!

Canuck

Posts: 7121 | Location: The Rock (southern V.I.) | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well, I have a 602 ZKK in 375 H + H that was once owned by Jack Lott. For some reason It dumps 300 gr Nosler Partitions, because of a drop magazine I got five and one in the pipe, Federal Loading into a 1" orange sticky dot at 200 yards. That six shots in under an inch at 200. At one hundred just one ragged hole. Its my load of choice in that rifle. Now my 416 Remington will dump (2) 350gr X's (2) 400 gr Noslers or Swifts and (2) Trophy Bonded Sledgehammers into an 1.5" at 100 yards. Now that rifle is my most shootable one I own. It really is the best one safari rifle I own. 350's for plains game, 400 gr softs and solids for the dangerous stuff. It dose not get any better on a Mixed bag hunt. That rifle is also the only rifle I own that will shoot Barnes X's.

Posts: 1070 | Location: East Haddam, CT | Registered: 16 July 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Robgunbuilder
posted Hide Post
My homebrew .50BMG heavy benchgun built on a Mcmillan action and K&P Barrel. Shooting 800 gr. Boreriders it has shot a 5 1/4, 5 shot group in FCSA competetion at 1000 yrds and one sub 3.0 at 1000yrds in practice. Out to 800 yrds, with no wind, one ragged hole.

Posts: 6314 | Location: Las Vegas,NV | Registered: 10 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
I am not nearly as experienced with the big bores as you guys are. I figure my .577 Snider doesn't count because it is an old BP round.
I had a Ruger No. 1 in .416 Rigby that shot the very fine RCBS 350-grain GC bullet into an inch or less at 100 yards regularly over 54 grains of XMP5744 in Norma cases. This with an old Weaver K2.5 scope. Velocity was right at 2,000 fps, making it very pleasant to shoot.

Posts: 16398 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bill/Oregon

Do you still have the mold for that bullet? I am looking for a RCBS 350 gr .416 mold for my Ruger .416 Rigby. If its for sale I would like to buy it.

Posts: 1534 | Location: North Texas | Registered: 11 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mitch,
.172 now that is a real group with a .577 barrel, your shooting groups, center to center,I assume, smaller than caliber, thats good shooting,..I take back what I said about anybody can shoot a 222 better than a big bore and change it to most anybody.

------------------
Ray Atkinson

ray@atkinsonhunting.com
atkinsonhunting.com

Posts: 41859 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
George Semel-
Welcome to Accuratereloading! Glad to see you are still with us!

Posts: 1148 | Location: The Hunting Fields | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
<Mitch>
posted
Ray, Thank you for the compliment.

[This message has been edited by Mitch (edited 11-21-2001).]

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Craftsman: I never had the mould. A friend in Nevada who was also shooting a .416 Rigby No. 1 and who is an accomplished caster sent me a box of the bullets from the RCBS mould. Excellent slugs. By the way, I bought some cast .417s from a commercial caster that had full-diameter noses past the crimp groove, and I had to seat them so deep for them to chamber in the short Ruger throat that they looked like oversize airgun pellets poking out of the neck of that huge Rigby case. No such trouble with the RCBS mould! Graf and Sons sells the mould for $43.

Posts: 16398 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Most impressive guy's, I thought I was doing something with my Mark X, in .458 1" groups at 100yds, with 350gr Hornadys, 405gr Speers, or 500gr Remingtons. I get 2200fps with 75grs of N202, and the 500gr Remington FMJ.

Posts: 3097 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 28 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
BMG! BMG! BMG!
Sorry, my enthusiasm is getting away with me.
Amazing.
gs

Posts: 1805 | Location: American Athens, Greece | Registered: 24 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of arkypete
posted Hide Post
My big bore is a couple of 45-70s, bolt and lever. It seems to me that the larger caliber the easier it is to make it shoot well. Maybe it's the shooter is afraid of the recoil and does not want to take the pain for nothing and miss.
I've noticed with my 375 Whelen and the 45-70s the largest group to the smallest group is not that great a difference. This unlike some of my smaller calibers that look like patterns.
Does this match up with your experiences?

Jim

Posts: 6173 | Location: Richmond, Virginia | Registered: 17 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I guess this is where I should have suggested using a .50 BMG for hunting, not in my own thread.

Posts: 1805 | Location: American Athens, Greece | Registered: 24 November 2001Reply With Quote
<Big50>
posted
My Ruger rechambered to 416Wby topped with 3.5-10 Leopold shoots consistantly under .75 moa. Best group was five shots just under three inches at 700yds with 24.5 moa up. 400gn XLC over 115gn RL22 only goes 2550fps but .5 moa average is better than 1.2 moa at 2740fps. I should note that it shoots under 1.5 moa with every load/charge ever shot through it, Barnes, Swift you name it.

------------------
Brent

one of us
Picture of old4x4
posted Hide Post
My 375/284 by SSK will put 4 shots into 1 in at 200 yds using 285 gr Speer GS. (After I got a custom RCBS sizing die...the factory one was too "loose"...

Posts: 504 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote