THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BIG BORE FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Big Bores    458 win mag and 300gr barnes X

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

458 win mag and 300gr barnes X Login/Join

<Dr. John>
posted
anyone ever use the Barnes X in the 458 win mag. I am presently loading the 300 grainers to use on whitetail this fall. should be interesting. according to the ballistics this should be quite the 250-300 yard whitetail hunter. anyone have any experience with the 300 grainers? I am looking for any input.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have shot lots of 300 gr jhp to get a good load for the 300 X for Elk this year, but have not yet tested them. RNS

Posts: 767 | Location: Phoenix, Az | Registered: 31 May 2001Reply With Quote
<scottemckinney>
posted
I have shot 300 grain X bullets in my 458 Mag Winchester Model 70. A max charge of H4198 from the Hogdon manual gives me just under 2700 fps. It shoots 3 inch groups at 200 yards. Seems like a good load but I have not tried them on game. I also had to moly coat them to cut down on the copper fouling.