Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

950 JDJ Login/Join

one of us
posted
I've heard, in quite a few posts and magazine article, about the 950 JDJ and would like to know if any one has any info on that yet.

Posts: 38 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 02 December 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
RUM,
I shot the first .950JDJ rifle in 1997. It was built by JD Jones for a client who wanted something no one else had.

It was on a McBros action, with a heavy barrel and McMillan stock. The rifle weighed 24lbs. and the muzzle brake weighed another 24lbs.

The case is a 20mm case shortened, necked down and blown out, firing a 2800 grain bullet (or something like that).

Recoil was light, considering the weight of the bullet, but a 48lb. gun is a big help

I fired it three times as quickly as I could load it (you pull the bolt, remove the case from the boltface, insert another round, slide the bolt back into the action, and fire). It is not a repeater.

George

------------------
Shoot straight, shoot often, but by all means, use enough gun!

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Do you know what the ballistics were for the cartridge?

Posts: 38 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 02 December 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Actually, the gun fires a 3600 grain bullet!

Ballistics? I don't remember, but I think it was about 1800fps? Does it really matter? We destroyed a huge rock with four shots (And then used a Browning M1919A4 to turn the rubble into gravel)

George

------------------
Shoot straight, shoot often, but by all means, use enough gun!

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of T.Carr
posted Hide Post
Here is a link to a picture of the 950 JDJ round.

http://www.sskindustries.com/cart_pics.html

regards,

Terry

Posts: 5338 | Location: A Texan in the Missouri Ozarks | Registered: 02 February 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of Canuck
posted Hide Post
3600 grains!!!! Thats over half a pound! Talk about a pumpkin slinger.

Canuck

Posts: 7121 | Location: The Rock (southern V.I.) | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote