New
Find
Notify
Tools

zastaffa big bore. Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I was at a cabella's recently,
and took the oprertunity to get a look at one of the new Remington versions of the Zastaffa big bore.
Don't remember the caliber but I thought it was a prety decent rifle.
It had the three leaf site , barrel band sling swivel , and a nicly shaped stock with a lighter colerd for tip that looked good to me.
I sure didnt think to much of the Big R trade mark on the bottom of the pistol grip though.
Price tag was about a grand.
Of course I did,nt get to fire it or even cycle the action with a round in it.
But I would consider my 1st impression to make it a decent competitor to the CZ 550.
Not sure i would need to change any parts on the zatava, while on the CZ the set trigger would have to go.
If I were heading to alaska anytime soon, the 798 in .375 H&H would deserv a very close look.
were I heading to affrica, mabye one in a .416.
...tj3006

freedom1st

One of Us
posted Hide Post
How would you say that it compared to the Interarms Whitworths of years gone by, if you ever got a chance to look at those rifles?

"I can't be over gunned because the animal can't be over dead"-Elmer Keith

Posts: 551 | Location: Northwestern Wisconsin | Registered: 09 April 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ACRecurve
posted Hide Post
They are very rough compared to the Whitworths and the CZ's, IMO.

Good hunting,

Andy

-----------------------------
Thomas Jefferson: “To compel a man to furnish funds for the propagation of ideas he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical.”

Posts: 6711 | Location: Oklahoma, USA | Registered: 14 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
For those who have not seen their homepage and guns.

http://www.zastava-arms.co.yu/english/civilni.htm

By the way it is not spelled Zastaffa but Zastava.

-------------------------------------
Hmmm, coffee is good. Too bad that without it my head goes bananas. I should quit but hmmm, coffee is good!
-------------------------------------

Posts: 66 | Location: Norway | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I posted a query about this same rifle a few weeks ago, but as the R 798 Safari.

Several people responded, however no one posted who has ever shot one. They're only available in 375 H&H and 458 WM, and if one was going to do a custom, there are so many more suitable actions out there. The 798's are rough, some more then others. The 458 at the LGS is smooth as butter and has GREAT figure on the wood...but the 375 H&H which is what I wanted, was veyr rough and binded a bit, would need lots of work

If you think every possible niche has been filled already, thank a wildcatter!

Posts: 2287 | Location: CO | Registered: 14 December 2007Reply With Quote