Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Parker Hale 404 Jeffery Login/Join

<Terry P>
posted
I have just aquired a Parker Hale in 404 Jeffery. From what I can tell it is the 1100M African made between 86-91. It was imported to Precision Sports Inc. Cortland N. Y. It has a monte carlo stock and a 24" barrel. It weighs just a tad over 10 lbs. with a 1.5x5 Leupold. The action is a mauser (K98 ?). The rifle has excellent iron sights and I have it set up with Leupold lever rings. The stock also has a schnabel forend.

Any information on the Parker Hales would be appreciated along with some favorite loads. This is a new cartridge for me. I think there is information elsewhere on this site but I can't find it right now.

Thanks,
Terry

one of us
Picture of Oldsarge
posted Hide Post
It's terrible. You will hate it. Send it to me at once and I will dispose of it for you

Damn! I've been looking all over for one of those and you beat me to it. Please don't tell us that you stole it blind like Ray did that 10.75x68. I know what he paid for it because I saw the same ad . . . a week too late!

The Parker Hale 1100M African was probably the last of the British made "blue collar" African rifles. They came in both .375 H&H and .404 Jeff. Personally, I'd replace the scope with a good Lyman 57M peep but that's just cranky ol' Sarge. The weight is right for a rifle of that power. You can load it up very nicely to equal a .416 Rigbyngton and take on Africa with no doubts or fears. If the action works smoothly and the magazine slides like grease, you couldn't ask for a sweeter Class II DGR from the way you describe. Congratulations. And if you decide you just have to have something bigger, I'll happily take in trade for my .450 Rigby.

Good hunting,
Sarge

Posts: 2690 | Location: Lakewood, CA. USA | Registered: 07 January 2001Reply With Quote
<Terry P>
posted
Damn! Oldsarge, I was rolling up your post and read the first 2 sentences and thought uh oh, have I really messed up big time! Ha! Don't scare me like that!

This rifle is really nice, just about in mint condition. It handles really well and the grip is swept back some and is nice. I just came from the back yard where I have been running some rounds through it. The bolt overan the second shell from the bottom a couple of times now. I know a gunsmith who can fix that though. The follower seems to be hanging at that spot. The bolt seems to have small locking lugs for the size of the cartridge but I presume they will do.

I sure didn't need to buy another rifle right now but couldn't turn this one down.
I tell you what . If I ever turn loose of it I'll give you a call.

Thanks for the info,
Terry

one of us
Picture of WyoJoe
posted Hide Post
Terry,
Let us know how your .404 comes out. I have been thinking of the .404 Dakota. It seems like a new round that they came up with. You might want to try this site for loading data. They have the .404 listed. http://www.accuratereloading.com/reload.html

WyoJoe

Posts: 1172 | Location: Cheyenne, WY | Registered: 15 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thoes Parker Hales were very scarce in that caliber, and are even harder to locate now..They are an excellent rifle in 404 Jefferys.

With 95 grs. of IMR-4831 and a 400 gr. bullet at 2600 FPS it will leave the 416 Remington whistleing "Who'd a thought it"..

And if Sarge ever passes on it, I want second choice at it, anytime, anyplace, I'll take it....

You have a nice rifle, and if you had it re-stocked, and added a drop box magazine, then it would be a real jewell.

------------------
Ray Atkinson

ray@atkinsonhunting.com
atkinsonhunting.com

Posts: 41879 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
<Terry P>
posted
Ray,
Who would you recommend to fix this rifle up for me with a drop box magazine etc? Synthetic stock or wood? What would this cost?
Thanks,
Terry

<buffalo_buster>
posted
Synthetic stock on a Parker Hale in .404J??? I can imagine Ray almost falling down his chair just by the thought of that.
BB

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Drop Box: $350 to $450 for parts.

Installation will require re-bluing ($100 to $150) plus a new stock.

For a stock, a low end price would be $300 for a good quality semi-inletted blank, plus $250 for finishing. The blank must be custom cut for the greater depth of the drop box.

Total cost: pushing $1000.

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
<Terry P>
posted
Any recommendations for a gunsmith to do this would greatly be appreciated. The factory magazine is rough. It seems that the magazine is thicker than the action thickness where the 2 meet. Also the magazine is about 1/32' short from meeting the action. I can see wood between the two. So another magazine would be nice. The action needs a little work too.

500grains, thanks , where could I send it?

I'm going to load up Ray's load and try it this weekend and just see how it shoots. Ray , I was thinking about the english style synthetic. (very modern)

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well, that's a difficult question. I don't know anyone in Texas who does that work.

Brockman Rifles in Idaho can handle the job for you.

Rich Shoemaker in Pennsylvania can do it.

Joe Johnston in Utah can do it.

If you are going to do this, you probably want to it it right. Pull the barrel, square the receiver, clean up the threads, square the bolt face, square/lap the lugs, polish the raceways, polish the ramp, re-headspace, install a good trigger.

The bill then creeps toward $1500. So why not put another $300 into it and have a really nice piece of wood? But they you need $500 worth of checkering to accent the wood.

See where this is going?

Are you sure there's nobody in Austin who can do the basic job so that you avoid the headaches of shipping?

Send me an email if you want phone numbers (dmccart@xmission.com).

[This message has been edited by 500grains (edited 08-10-2001).]

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
<Terry P>
posted
500gr,
Thanks, I have been asking around and I found a gunsmith here that can do this work. The costs are going to be about what you said 350-400 for parts, cost of stock blank and labor.
Terry

one of us
posted Hide Post
Terry,
Please go with Turkish Walnut and not devaluate that old hog.

------------------
Ray Atkinson

ray@atkinsonhunting.com
atkinsonhunting.com

Posts: 41879 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote