Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Coil Check stocks? Login/Join

one of us
posted
So I just read through "Any Shot You Want", the A-Square rifle manual...

After reading the rousing sales pitch for the Coil Check stock I'm curious if anyone else is making a similiar pattern these days? Or anyone know where there are any take-offs available?

Posts: 497 | Location: Lewistown, PA USA | Registered: 21 December 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I know a guy who has one and says it is like shooting a barreled action mounted in a log.

I have shouldered Coil Checks several times and did not find them comfortable. But I hvae not fired a rifle that has a Coil Check stock.

In any event, A2 is out of business, so the only way to get a coil check stock is to buy a synthetic one from MPI - they still have the mold.

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
500grains: who is "MPI" and how can they be contacted??

thanx....

Posts: 466 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 20 December 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
MPI is a synethetic stock maker.

Usually they have a small black and white ad in the back of Rifle magazine.

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 470 Mbogo
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by 500grains:
Bill,
I think you can find them under www.mpistocks.com I don't think their website is complete yet but it will give you a contact for Doc and some of their line. 470 Mbogo

Posts: 1247 | Location: Sechelt B.C. | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Sam,

We have a couple of rifles here from A-Square that have the coil-check stock.

Without exception, every single person who handled these rifles made some unfavorable remarks about these stocks.

Mr. Alpin comment that his 577 with a coil check stock has less felt recoil than a 460 Weatherby in a MK V stock is not true at all.

You might like to have a look at our Humor and Video section, there are a few videows of people shooting the 577 T.Rex. I am sure you will find some of them amusing.

Bill,

We got some stocks from MPI, and they were EXTREMELY bad! I honestly have no idea how they sent these out. The stocks we got from them for the Dakota 76 action.

------------------
saeed@ emirates.net.ae

www.accuratereloading.com

Posts: 66982 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the input fellas! I think I'll stop looking now...

I particularly liked the line in the book where the writer says something like "placing your face against a Coil Chek stock is like laying your head on a pillow".

Thanks again!

Posts: 497 | Location: Lewistown, PA USA | Registered: 21 December 2000Reply With Quote
<Telly>
posted
I have fired a .500 A-Square several times in one of his rifles. I can tell you, you DO feel it! The stock seems to be too large in the wrist as it's almost impossible for me to actually hang on to the rifle under recoil.

<csj>
posted
Not cause problem here but I also have an A-Square rifle in 338 Excal. If I could replace every rifle I own with this stock I would. For what ever reason I truly love this stock and I am sad to see A-Square go away. I would be hesitant to buy a used rifle in that it will not fit you properly and more than likely you will not like it. I have shot a few of these rifles that were made for other people and I did not like them. But as for the one I had made for me I would not trade it for anything��.

Chris