Find
Notify
Tools

HOW CAN I CALL IT ? Login/Join

one of us
Picture of BER007
posted
Hi All,

My gunsmith proposed to improved .458 Win Mag in re-chambering my CZ rifle with .416 Rem brass in full lenght (2.83" to 2.85") neck up to use bullet .458. But what is the name of this caliber? What is the closer caliber that you know comparing my gunsmith proposal? Can I continu to fire .458 Win Mag afre re-chambering? Thanks to help me.RGDS. BER007

Posts: 831 | Location: BELGIUM | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of Canuck
posted Hide Post
Sounds like your Gunsmith is probably referring to the .458 Lott. If so, you can definately still shoot .458 Win Mag ammo out of it. Refer to other threads in this forum for more info.

Canuck

Posts: 7121 | Location: The Rock (southern V.I.) | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BER007
posted Hide Post
Thanks Canuck.I have seen lot of messages,... about .458 Lott but never seen up to now .458 Lott made from .416 Rem brass with a 2.85" case lenght.

One of Us
Picture of ACRecurve
posted Hide Post
The 450 Ackley can also be made from 416 Rem brass but I don't think it would be a good idea to shoot 458 Win ammo through it.
Good Hunting.

------------------
Andy Cooper

Posts: 6711 | Location: Oklahoma, USA | Registered: 14 March 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of Canuck
posted Hide Post
BER007,

The full 2.85" case is usually referred to as the .450 Watts. You can have a .458 Lott (the most common of the nomenclature) chambered for 2.80, 2.83 or 2.85" cases if you like. In each case, firing .458 Win Mag ammo is not a problem.

If I had the full length version made, I would call it a .450 Watts, as I am pretty sure he was the first. With the popularity of the Lott though, it is pretty well semantics at this point.

Canuck

Posts: 7121 | Location: The Rock (southern V.I.) | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BER007
posted Hide Post
Thanks to ACRecurve and to Canuck.Your replies were very useful. I'll go with case lenght 2.85" for re-chambering my CZ 550 Safari Mag into .458 Lott. My gunsmith told me there is no probelm with this rifle with maximum lenght case (2.85"). But it is more easier to reform .375 brass than .416 brass. And the difference of maximum powder load isn't so high. I haven't taken final decision of brass used. But what is the reload data for full lenght case (2.85")? RGDS. BER007

Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
I question your gunsmiths comment about 375 H&H brass being easier to form then 416 brass. David Miller has a good article on the 458 lott, and he mentioned he used 458 cast bullets, that he lathe turned the noses to .375 H&H, and fired bakcwards with the .458" base forward to form cases. 416 rem mags will open up run through RCBS 458 win mag dies, the neck comes out a little lopsided, but nicely cleans up on the first firing

Both those techniques were at a time when belted basic brass wasn't available. With Hornady offering the belted basic case, check Midway's website for the listing, all you do is run it through the fl die, and wallah, 458 watts, or lott, or whatever you want to call it. Easiest yet is buying preformed, trimmed and stamped 458 lott brass, but the $1 a case price brings one back to the belted basic case at ~$.50 ea.

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote