Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Standing Bench Rest Login/Join

posted
I'm having my first big bore built - a 416 Remington - and it should be completed in May. I have a rifle range on my property with a bench rest, but I'd like to build a standing rifle rest for the 416. I saw a neat concept on the "Leupold Big Game Profiles" segment on the grizzly bear. Craig Boddington was shooting off of a standing rest that had a wheeled axle going through the two rear legs while the two front legs just set on the ground.It appears that the that the front of the rest could be picked up and the entire rest could be wheeled any distance from the backstop. Does anyone know where I could get plans for such a rest? Does anyone have plans for any sort of a standing rest?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hello,
I can't help you on the standing "stand/rest..." situation, but would suggest strongly that such a device not be incorporated in shooting a rifle off hand, regardless of who is shown using one.
Point of impact will vary from rest position to that of non rest shooting and even though may not be a significant amount for hunting purposes, it will vary and not a good thing. The rifle sling is a hunter's best friend if used properly and practiced and since I am of an advanced age and old school in use of the rifle, to use a stick, rest, etc. for shooting off hand is just not an option, no way, now how!! I fully understand that if a tree limb or fence post is handy, use it , but to rely on a stick or rest of some sort is not conducive to good marksmanship off hand.
Until some year or so ago, the only sling to use was the Leslie Tam sling of best leather/hooks/keepers,etc. and is still as good as you get leather wise, but introduced to a synthetic rifle sling known as Ultraflex and for a carry sling as well as an exclellent aid in shooting off hand, works great. When you do the arm wrap and pull the rifle to your shoulder, the sight picture, scope or irons, is very steady. Great aid in shooting off hand and if interested check it out at the following: www.specialtyoutdoorproducts.net

one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
I just put a bench stool on top of one of our concrete benches. Put a sanbag on that & then shot over the sandbag. It worked fine w/ my .458lott for load dev. & sighting in. Tall, tripod shooting sticks is another option & more like what you can expect if you go to Africa.

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
You might look on ebay or other sites for an old heavy duty movie camera tripod. They sell cheaply and can support a heavy top and sand bags etc. The tripod will give you the flexibility to put your shooting rest at just the height you desire. I've seen these tripods sell for a couple hundred bucks that would have cost thousands when new.

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am going to share the simple answer. Draw a "Z" on a piece of paper. Need two 8' 2x4's, a 48" long piece of 2x6 and a 12"x24" piece of plywood. As you look at the "Z" the bottom line is composed of a 12" x 24" piece of 1/2-3/4" plywood. as you look down on that plywood, you see two 12" long 2x6's nailed 6" side up with a space in between them the width of a 2-by at one end of the plywood. You put a 60" length of 2x4 in the slot, vertically and space the bottom 1" off the plywood. Drill a 5/8" diameter hole thru all three pieces. Buy a 5/8" shank 4" long bolt and nut, and one 3" long. Push the 4" bolt thru all and snug tight the nut. You seen that that 60" long 2x4 can be eased forward or backwards. Cut a piece of 2x6 8" long and drill another hole thru it and the upright 2x4 3" from the top. Bolt together and rotate the 2x6 180-degrees. It now sticks up above the 2x4. Cut another 8" piece of 2x6 and screw it sideways to the other 2x6 to look like a "T" from the endview. Glue a piece of indoor-outdoor carpet on that top piece. This thing looks from the sideview like an "L" with a bar on top...or the "Z". Where the vertical 60" long 2x4 bolts to the bottom, angle it back to where the "T" shaped 2x6's are the proper height for you to rest a rifle on standing. Tighten it. Take the "T" section and level it. Tighten that bolt. You now have a sturdy, yet adjustable, rifle rest. You rest the back of your hand that holds the forend on the carpet. Your forward foot is resting on the plywood sheet. That holds the rest in place, securely enough to do about 90% of your load testing from it and greatly reduces felt recoil, since your upper body is free to "roll
with the punch". I will try and get a picture and forward it to boomie to post.

regards,

Rich
DRSS

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have the perfect bench for shooting the big kickers. It's called "pickup truck hood and rolled up sleeping bag." About as close as you can get to shooting offhand.

Ray

Arizona Mountains

Posts: 1560 | Location: Arizona Mountains | Registered: 11 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I made one from 2" pvc.....made the base 3'x5' and had the verticle "upside down U" placed in the middle for the rest and easily adjusted to right height with a hacksaw. a few sticks of PVC, some "t" and 90* connectors and bingo...standing rest. I placed a piece of foam noodle to the cross piece to not snag my double on anything. Breaks down easily for transport to the range. Ain't fancy, but cheap and it works.

Gary
DRSS
NRA Lifer

Posts: 1970 | Location: NE Georgia, USA | Registered: 21 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
why not use a tripod--you can make one also---chris

Posts: 294 | Location: Omaha, NE | Registered: 29 September 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Thanks to all that responded. I'm looking for something pretty solid for load development purposes (accuracy checks) and sighting-in so I'll go with the suggestions made by either Idaho Sharpshooter or GarBy. Now's the time for me to get out into the shop and make something since the 2 feet of snow make outdoor activities tough. Again, thanks to all!