THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BIG BORE FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Big Bores    What ever happened to the.....??

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What ever happened to the.....?? Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Nishoba01
posted
What ever happened to Ed Huble and the .700 HE?? I was wondering what steps would need to be taken to convert .50 BMG brass to the .700 HE specs..

Anyone?

Thanks
Larry A. < !--color-->

Posts: 98 | Location: Fredericksburg, VA | Registered: 30 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
We have been too busy last 3 months to get much done on cases.And I still am working out final details and making some faster equipment to make them faster, easier, and
rounding up a supply of good brass.....The expanding, belting, and swaging take a bit of time, and i am streamlining the process... And of course get a 50 BMG size action for it. I now have a 34 inch heavy 700 barrel from Pacnor. It is Hell to have to make a living instead of playing with guns, 24/7...But we will get there..Ed.

Posts: 27742 | Registered: 03 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Nishoba01
posted Hide Post
Quote:

It is Hell to have to make a living instead of playing with guns, 24/7...But we will get there..Ed.

Good to hear from you Mr. Huble. Yes, it is a shame we can't make a living by playing with guns and ammo ;

Just an FYI, Widener's Reloading & Shooting Supply Inc. has
I.M.I BMG Unprimed brass with no crimp also with NATO Cross on the head going for $45.00/50 or $169/200.

I don't know if you've heard of I.M.I. Brass (whether it's quality stuff or not) or if the prices they've listed are high or not, but I just thought this may help solve your problem of rounding up a good supply of brass.

The above company can be reached at (800) 615-3006, FAX (423)282-6651 and they are located in Johnson City, TN

Sincerely
Larry A. < !--color-->

Posts: 98 | Location: Fredericksburg, VA | Registered: 30 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a good source of Lake City cases, and have 400
here now. Will be getting another couple thousand next month,as funds come in.The IMI cases I have got don't have enough metal in the radius from the base to the sides to make super strong belted 700HE cases or the 12Ga FH cases.
The LC cases have twice the thickness of metal in corner,
where the belt that we make ends up.
The guys making the 700 DKT belted 3 in case used IMI brass
with the short radius so that they could push the belt on,
but it made too short of radius and weakened radius.IE
it kinked the metal in the corner..That is the hairy
big one that wreaked one the double-bolt rifles when it blew out.Ed.

one of us
Picture of Nishoba01
posted Hide Post
Do you have the contact info for lake city? I would be interested in aquiring some cases for my self so that when you and the other guy's are able to dedicate more time to the different .700 project's I won't feel like a fith wheel, relying on you all for everything.

I have some more question's for you Mr. Huble;
1. Roughly how many reloads could one expect to get out of these Lake City cases when loading them to full or 90% propellant capacity in the 700 H.E.?

2. Is there anything that can be done to the cases between reloads that would extend the life of the cases besides cleaning them?

3. Which is the better media for cleaning the cases; Ground Corn Cob or, Ground Walnut Shell?

4. Who makes the best high capacity tumbler that could handle a good ammount of these cases?

5. Will there be a need for a special additive to be added to the propellant in order to get a sure/even ignition like what is added to the .700 N.E.? If so, how much and what's the name of the product?

6. Finally, about how much time does it take you to make one of the .700 H.E. cases now (barring interruptions from family/friends and pet's ) and how long do you estimate it will take to produce these cases when you streamline the process?

Thanks
Larry A. < !--color-->

one of us
posted Hide Post
Larry-Din' get cases from LC but some unfired brass(1988
military cases with bullets pulled and deprimed) from
private guy, and am taking all he had.Like new condition.
As for building your own it will take lathe, special holders and couple expensive swages.
Case life at full loads should be about 25 rounds at least,
and moderate loads(2600 fps)they should never wear out.
You may have to anneal front of cases every 10-20 rounds.
I say may as my 458 HE with moderate loads, I never had to anneal.Either medium is ok for cleaning, and each makers biggest tumbler should work.No additives are need for good ignition as cases will use the hairy BMG primer.I worked it
down to an hour per case with old system, and newer process will be about
20 min to finished, fireformed case. IE;It uses a gun
in the process, saving a lot of expanding and forming
with the press...Ed.

one of us
Picture of Nishoba01
posted Hide Post
When you say 2600fps, what bullet weight are you using and what barrel length? Larry A.

one of us
posted Hide Post
1000 gr bullet, 32 in barrel, full load of slow 5010
powder.With slow enough powders at 90% you might be able to load a few times without resizing.I could with my 458HE.Ed.

one of us
Picture of Nishoba01
posted Hide Post
Quote:

powder.With slow enough powders at 90% you might be able to load a few times without resizing.I could with my 458HE.Ed.

Ok, in your opinion what would be the heaviest bullet you could use and still be at the 2000-2100 fps mark Mr. huble?

Furthermore do you think a Round Nose FMJ would get you the best velocities aside from using boat tail match bullet's?

Larry A. < !--color-->

Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Dang, seems like just the anticipation of the recoil has you flinching on the mouse button

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Paul-We have crappy phone line here and hit post button 3 times ,to make it work to completion.Didn't need to.
Larry--1400 gr bullet would get to 2100, without real high pressure.Ed.