THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BIG BORE FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Big Bores    Dimensions of 450 Ultra and 450 Dakota?

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Dimensions of 450 Ultra and 450 Dakota? Login/Join

<Andy>
posted
Can anyone tell me what the width at the shoulder, and length at the shoulder of a 450 Ultra, 450 Dakota and 450 Rigby is?

I may have to re-chamber my 458 x 404 Jeffery and need to clean up a .522 dia. shoulder. There is a .522-.523 ring at the shoulder, which was probably caused by a metal chip that got stuck on the flute of the reamer. A full power load expands the shoulder into this ring and the bolt sticks half way up and it cams the case to the rear.

Case dimensions on any of these cases would be much appriciated.

Andy

posted Hide Post
Andy-
If my eyes were working properly, I measured a case and got the following:
shoulder width- .559"
length from base to shoulder- 2.33"

I noticed in a drawing from Dakota that the last measurement should be 2.324", so that is probably correct. My cases was fired, and then resized to fit my chamber.

Should be no problem for the conversion if that gouge isn't too deep. My barrel was originally a 460 G&A.

Posts: 1148 | Location: The Hunting Fields | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
<Andy>
posted
John,

Thanks. I hoped you were around to follow this thread.

Rookie question:

Is the Dakota a 416 case with 2.85 case length and 3.6 ocl, and the 450 Rigby a 416 necked up to 458 intended for 3.75 ocl?

What is the length of the Dakota case?

Is your ocl 3.6?

Did you standardize on 110 gr of IMR-4350?

I love the GA but dont expect to be able to set the barrel back enough to salvage it.

Thanks for th help.

Andy

posted Hide Post
Andy-
The 450 Dakota case is 2.90" in length.
My COL with 500gr TBBC is 3.785"
Thus far I have found R15 to deliver the accuracy and velocity I want/need. I'm currently loading 98grs with velocity from my 23" barrel @ 2400fps. JohnDL also uses one, and has just returned from Tanzania. Maybe he will also supply some info as well as field results on his three buffalo.
The 450 Rigby, from what I understand, is a slightly shortened 416 Rigby casing. Another of our members, Sarge, uses one so maybe he can supply the details for it.

Posts: 1148 | Location: The Hunting Fields | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
<Andy>
posted
John,

thanks very much.

thats what I need to know!

Im setting my barrel back two threads and if that does not clean up the ring gouged by the reamer flute then I can get re-chambered for $80 at Dakota I think.

Do you use their brass of neck size the 416 to 458?

Andy

one of us
Picture of Oldsarge
posted Hide Post
The basic difference between the .450 Rigby and the .450 Dakota is the shoulder angle. The Rigby is sharper. It is basically the .416 necked up to .458 with no other change. Dakota's version isn't quite a sharp and might feed a little easier. Ballistically they are twins.
Sarge

Posts: 2690 | Location: Lakewood, CA. USA | Registered: 07 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of mbogo375
posted Hide Post
My 450 Dakota is on a Brno 602 action, and the chamber is about .002 too small at the base to be able to use resized 416 Rigby. Works fine with Dakota brass however. I don't know if Dakota factory chambers are that tight, but there are obviously some reamers around with the smaller dimensions. I found out the hard way by splitting a sizing die on my first piece of 416 brass .

Jim

Posts: 1206 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 21 July 2000Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Andy-
Being the lazy person that I am, I just use Dakota brass! It is made by MAST and seems to be of very good quality.