Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Scope for 416 Rigby? Login/Join

<X-Ring>
posted
OK I think I will leave the Rigby iron sighted, but if I do put a scope on it what kind? I'm a Loupold guy, but was wondering. Will a Burris hold up to the Rigby recoil? They have some features I like ie: posi lock.

------------------
Freedom wasn't free. Today they want our guns. What will they want tommorow?

one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
Leupold 1 1/2 to 5, with Warne QR rings. Problem solved.

Will

Posts: 19323 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
<R. A. Berry>
posted
Not so fast there Will. What about the fixed 2.5X M8 with a matte finish and a standard duplex, heavy duplex or German 4 reticle, depending on taste?

You could never go wrong in scoping the big bore with one of these and could buy 3 of them for the price of the Vari-X III. The 2.5X also allows better scope placement options and ultimate eye relief on the CZ or Ruger. It is more rugged to boot, IMHO.

I have shot water buffalo at 50 yards and fallow deer at 342 yards using the 2.5X.

------------------
Good huntin' and shootin',
Bwanawannabe, Daktari Ron

one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
Not so fast, mister!!! With the straight objective on a 1 1/2 to 5 Leupold one can mount it as far forward as I ever would need (which is why I don't like the Euro scopes with the long eyepieces).

Personally I wouldn't shoot anything in Africa at 350 or anything close to it, for fear of wounding and paying! Now I have shot whitetails that far, but not me in Africa. I suspect the longest shot I have taken in Africa is in the neighborhood of 150 yards or so, but on the average it is closer to 50 yds. and didn't need a power scope.

If you want a fixed power, go for it. 99% of the time it won't matter, other than in your own mind. In my mind, I NEED a 1 1/5 to 5 Leupold.

You are correct about needing the heavy duplex (in my mind!).

Cheers,

Will

Posts: 19323 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
<Cobalt>
posted
X-Ring,
I have the Leupold 1.5-5 on my BRNO 602 in .460WM. I used Conetrol Rings and have put several hundred rounds through it during the past 10 years with no failures. I would go with the Warne QD set up next time. CZ makes some really heavy duty rings for the 550 but not QD. Cobalt

one of us
Picture of Big Bore
posted Hide Post
Cast my vote for the VXIII 1.5-5x also. Have one on my .416 No.1 and that's what's going on my M77 .416 also. Warne Premier QD rings adds the finishing touch.

Posts: 641 | Location: Indiana, U.S.A. | Registered: 21 October 2000Reply With Quote
<Todd G>
posted
I have a Burris Full Field 3 - 9 on my Rigby. I have fired over 400 rounds through it without issue. I went to the Burris scope after I had problems with a Leupold 4.5 - 14 breaking after 10 - 15 rounds. Leupold fixed the scope each time, but after the third time they repaired it a letter came back with the scope suggesting that I not put this scope back onto the rifle. I have used Leupolds 1 - 4 and 1.5 - 5 variables on my 458 and 500 without any issue however. The Burris optics should work just fine.

<R. A. Berry>
posted
Hold your horses, Will, at least consider the possibilities, keep an open mind, that's what "forums" are about.

I have three scopes that see service on the .416 Rigby:

Leupold M8 2.5X
Leupold 1.5X-5X
Leupold 1.75X-6E

All will fit the biggest action without extension rings. All have their pluses and minuses.

Fact is that the occular bell on the 2.5X is shorter and allows further forward positioning than the variables. I did get a little relaxed once, shooting off hand, and got "kissed" by the 1.5X-5X on the forehead, never enough to cut me or draw blood, and no, I have never had a cookie cutter gash on my brow. I don't think that even I could let this happen with the 2.5X. It has a bit better eye relief. I have learned my lesson and now get my shoulder muscles solidly bunched and shoved into the buttpad before firing, and I make sure the stock is of proper pull length, and make an effort not to "crawl" the stock. For fast action in the field, the little extra margin with the 2.5X is reassuring.

I have never been kissed at the bench. I am always locked up tight there when shooting the big boomers for accuracy. The worst scope bite I ever saw was on a young man who crawled the stock on a .30-30 with the atrocious see-through mounts and a 3X-9X variable set on 9X. Laid him open to the bone with his first shot. Sure felt sorry for that kid.

------------------

one of us
posted Hide Post
RAB, I couldn't get my VX III 1.75-6E on the M77 with the factory rings. the scope was just a bit too short between the bell housings. Did you try it on this rifle with factory rings?

Posts: 165 | Location: Adams, NE USA | Registered: 08 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The distance from the rear scope ring to the rear of the eyepiece of a Leup 2.5x compact is at least 0.5 inches LESS than the same measurement on a 1.5-5, meaning that the shooter can gain greater clearance from the 2.5x.

It is my preference.

Also, it has a reputation for NOT breaking even under severe recoil.

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
<R. A. Berry>
posted
Bill in NE,
Actually, I put the 1.75X-6E on the CZ. I didn't try it on the Ruger, so I may be wrong on that point. Mea culpa if so.

------------------

<R. A. Berry>
posted
Bill in NE,
I am in Connecticut right now and can't verify the fit. Are you sure you have the 1.75X-6E instead of the old Vari X III 1.75X-6X. The newer "extended" version has more leeway on ring spacing. Sorry to question, just want to be sure it's not one of the older scopes, since I just became aware of this difference in the last year.

------------------

one of us
posted Hide Post
I think I will go with a 1.5x5 for mine. The deciding factors for me were better FOV at lower powers. I sometimes have a time finding gamein the scope and when old Mbogo comes rolling in I want to see him as well as possible. Weight of scope is another consideration with a hard kicking gun. The lighter the scope the easier it will be for the scope to stay put on recoil. Good luck. "D"

Posts: 1701 | Location: Western NC | Registered: 28 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
RAB, yep, the scope is a 1.75-6E with heavy crosshairs. I was under the impression that the "E" was for extended eye relief?
Anyway, on mine, right or wrong, the bells are just a smidge too close to use factory rings. Bill

[This message has been edited by Bill in NE (edited 04-26-2001).]

Posts: 165 | Location: Adams, NE USA | Registered: 08 February 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Do all these scopes come with multicoated
optics and a heavy reticule??

Posts: 5684 | Location: North Wales UK | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
<R. A. Berry>
posted
O.K., Bill in NE,
I have that scope on my CZ 550, heavy duplex too. The Ruger 77M got the 1.5X-5X and the 2.5X is on the Ruger No.1. Mea culpa.

------------------

one of us
posted Hide Post
RAB, if I can't find a workable solution to the rings issue, (like 1 extension ring and 1 normal?), I will have to pull the VX-III 1.5-5x off the 375HH and swap out with the 1.75-6xE. Really shouldn't make a bit of difference, should it?
Thanks, Bill

<R. A. Berry>
posted
Bill in NE,
I have only seen the Ruger-made extension rings in a high, but even if a lower one could be found, by any maker, it would still overhang the ejection/loading port, which is really not cool on a "DGR." Maybe that is why I ended up using the 1.5X-5X? Maybe Sometimer's disease is setting in.

------------------

one of us
posted Hide Post
The Rigby recoil is very heavy. My Mahillon (Mauser action)have a Carl Zeiss 4x German reticle #4 in AEW side mount (QD) without problems.

Posts: 328 | Location: San Martin de los Andes, Argentina | Registered: 01 May 2001Reply With Quote
<karel potyka>
posted
X-Ring,
you are Leupold guy,nothing wrong with that, but if you will have time please look at S&B 1.21-4x20 www.scmidt&bender.com
Good luck,
Karel

one of us
Picture of JLHeard
posted Hide Post
I'm using a Burris Fullfield with the Ballistic-Plex reticle on a 300 H&H. I really like it.

I realize the recoil is less, but I've had good luck with Burris.

Posts: 580 | Location: Mesa, AZ | Registered: 11 May 2001Reply With Quote