THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BIG BORE FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Big Bores    CZ 550 Magnum - American Stock

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

CZ 550 Magnum - American Stock Login/Join

one of us
posted
Just this afternoon saw one of these babies in 458 Lott (Re-marked from 458 Winchester). Looked very nice. However there are no cross-bolts in the stock. Does the stock shatter after the first shot? Anyone had an experience with one of these? It was the walnut stock, not the laminate.

one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
The chicken littles were predicting exploding stocks, except it hasn't happened.

Posts: 19313 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Actually, I thought the inletting sucked (specifically metal to wood fit of bottom metal). On all three I have seen the bottom metal was sunk into the stock between an 1/8" and 3/16" of an inch!! The forearm is chunky too, but I could live with that.

ASS_CLOWM

Posts: 1673 | Location: MANY DIFFERENT PLACES | Registered: 14 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have both the .416 and the .458 Lott in the new American stocks, and have talked to Mike at CZ-USA about the lack of crossbolts. He said they have had absolutely no problems with the newly designed stocks. He offered to install crossbolts in either of my American model stocks (for a VERY reasonable fee), but he assured me that I was wasting my time and money to have it done. So far, there have been NO incidents of split or broken American stocks returned to CZ-USA. My local gunsmith also agreed with Mike that crossbolts were indeed unnecessary.

Posts: 1582 | Location: Eleanor, West Virginia (USA) | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I wonder why the hogs back unless bedded had a tendancy to split the stock ??

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If the 416 and 458 lott are OK, I think I see a 375 H&H in my future. It looked good enough for me. I can't afford or justify a custom rifle. I did have a winchester super express (two piece bottom metal and classic crf) in 375 that was hell on everything in the USA, but when I was laid off in 1997 I had to select what to keep and it was a toy that had to go.

one of us
posted Hide Post
A m550 CZ in .375 H&H is a VERY usefull tool...

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Quote:

I wonder why the hogs back unless bedded had a tendancy to split the stock ??

everytime i see a hog's back, i look for the ears!!

jeffe

Posts: 38470 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jeffo,

I know you will think I am sick...but I kind of like the hogs back stock....you just have to get a good grip on those ears and hang on

one of us
posted Hide Post
The reason they have not split yet is they have not been shot enough, they will split I'm betting....In truth the Lotts sit in the closet a lot due to their grim recoil...

If I had one in 458 Lott, I would glass bed it from tang to forend tip, cross bolt it in three places and anything else I could do to shore it up...Murphy sez it won't come apart until the moment of truth...

I gar un tee, a Lott will tear up everything if it gets a gap anywhere and it can beat a gap in wood pretty quick...

Posts: 41840 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ray: Even though I posted what I was told by Mike at CZ-USA above and my local 'smith, I agree with you - ultimately, the Lotts will win and stocks WILL split.

Posts: 1582 | Location: Eleanor, West Virginia (USA) | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
You guys sound like the lion study - a lot of conclusions based upon no data!

Posts: 19313 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bill - I think you're on to something

one of us
posted Hide Post
Agree with Ray.

Posts: 28032 | Location: KY | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Rip,
I with you in voting for Ray. Bryan

Posts: 583 | Location: keene, ky | Registered: 24 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I agree with Ray...with the lott bed and add cross bolts or be ready to buy a new stock.