Find
Notify
Tools

Scope that heavy! Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Wildcatter
posted
Hey all,

I'd like to start talking about low-power scopes suitable for dangerous game rifles for use in Alaska and Africa. I have always thought the Vari-X III hung the moon but now Burris is starting to turn my head. Has anyone personally done any serious recoil tests on these and other optics to see which is best? What are your favorite DGR scopes and why?

-Catter

Posts: 788 | Location: Central Texas, U.S. | Registered: 20 December 2001Reply With Quote
<Mitch>
posted
Wildcater, I have used a Burris 1.75 to 6X Posi Lok on my 500 A2. This scope held up fine with more than 300 rounds through the gun. However I found that it really did not have enough eye relief for such a big boomer. I have used mostly fixed power Leupolds on my big boomers up to my 577 T.Rex. A good friend of mine has a 1 to 4 Leupold on his 460 Weatherby, he shoots this rifle a lot and he has at least 300 + rounds through the rifle with this scope on it. So far this scope has held up fine, as well as my fixed power Leupolds. I prefer the Leupolds to the Burris because of the greater eye relief you get with the Leupold scopes.

Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
There be but one scope for heavy kickers, Leupold M8 2.5x compact, w/ 4a reticle and click turrets fit. I have no problem shooting moa with this scope, it is light, strong, and has 5" of eye relief.

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm inclined to agree with Paul on the 2.5 Leupold compact, it has no competition in that field....

------------------
Ray Atkinson

ray@atkinsonhunting.com
atkinsonhunting.com

Posts: 41859 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Oldsarge
posted Hide Post
I see little use for a scope on a heavy, at all. Dangerous game isn't dangerous at 100 yards and I can place a bullet neatly in the zone at that range with a peep.

Posts: 2690 | Location: Lakewood, CA. USA | Registered: 07 January 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
Sarge,

You have to remember your audience here, many of us are sick, and derive perverse plessure from shooting full power loads out of our heavies at paper, rocks, steel, etc, not just game. Personally speeking, I prefer to workup loads on a scoped gun, to minimize me introducing errors.

As far as hunting with a scoped heavy, there are assuredly situations inside 100 yds where a scope is a benefit, ie low lighting and thick brush. Is the scope a tradeoff, yes. Does the purity of the heavy become viloated by scoping it? Thats debateable. Should anyone who even contemplates scoping a double be flogged? Absolutely

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of loud-n-boomer
posted Hide Post
'Sarge

When you use your heavy as your primary gun on safari, a scope can be quite handy, especially on Hartebeast at 243 yards in mopane scrub, or Impala at 141 yards in mixed brush. I made one shot kills on both this summer with my .458 Watts using 500 grain bullets. I don't think I could have seen them well enough to do the same with iron sights.

Posts: 3818 | Location: Eastern Slope, Colorado, USA | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I tend to agree with Sarge on the heavy..I can shoot a peep sight well up to 250 or 300 yds. beyond that a scope is mighty handy...but I always have two rifles with me so Irons on the heavy suit me fine, if difficulty arises, I ask my tracker to hand me the scoped 338, 375 or whatever the case may be....It will be a caliber capable of handling anything up to elephant in an emergency...Most of the time its my beloved, long time friend, my old Custom 338 Win...

------------------
Ray Atkinson

ray@atkinsonhunting.com
atkinsonhunting.com

Posts: 41859 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
<500 AHR>
posted
I must concure with Sarge and Ray. If however you desire or need the scope then I would recommend Warner or Talley QD mounts and a Leupold Var XII 1-4 variable (now obsolete but I have literally thousnads of rounds through one without incidence) or the Leupold 2.5X scout (no experience with this scope but everyone else endorses it).

You may also wish to revisit some of the earlier posts regarding which scopes to put on big guns. The are informative.

Todd E

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The scope with the best reputation for reliability is the Leuopold 2.5x. Unlike Ray, I can't hit anything at over 100 yards with iron sights, so for a scope is imperative.

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
For what it's worth, I won't use Warne Rings anymore after using them for years..On heavy recoiling rifles the spring tension lever on the rear ring flipped around and tied up my bolt lift during a charge, and believe me that got my attention...

It's my fault because it had happened on other ocassions and I thought the camp boys had been fiddling with it, WRONG !! recoil is the culprit....

Upon my return I sold about 15 to 20 sets and replaced all with Talleys. A move I have never regretted...

This only applies to the Warne quick detachable models......

------------------
Ray Atkinson

ray@atkinsonhunting.com
atkinsonhunting.com

one of us
posted Hide Post
Paul H,
I once shot a Wesley-Richards double which was scoped and it shot well. The scope make I don't recall but it was mounted in claw mounts. Firing alternate barrels it grouped aroung 1 3/4 inches at 100 for four shots. The caliber was 25/20 WCF. Regards, Bill.

Posts: 3531 | Location: Elko, B.C. Canada | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Oldsarge
posted Hide Post
I guess in Boomer's case, I can see the use for a scoped heavy though using the heavy as the general rifle seems a bit eccentric to me. For most hunters, though, even when we carry the heavy most of the time and have a tracker tote the light, the big killer only comes into play on big game. Now that I've blooded the .318 I can easily imagine making it my most common hunting weapon from here out. BTW, it's not scoped either!

Sarge

Posts: 2690 | Location: Lakewood, CA. USA | Registered: 07 January 2001Reply With Quote