THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BIG BORE FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Big Bores    Scope advise for a 458 Lott?

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Scope advise for a 458 Lott? Login/Join

one of us
Picture of POP
posted
This is for my 458 lott Ruger #1.

What robust scope would you use?

My blog: Please Comment and Follow
https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com

Posts: 3863 | Location: Cheyenne, WYOMING, USA | Registered: 13 June 2000Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Some options include a Leupold 2.5x/3x/4x, or a Burris 1.5x.

Is this your new 'goat' gun? Big Grin

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of POP
posted Hide Post
How did you know?

No variables will fit the bill?

You know me and fixed scopes George..... Razzer

Posts: 3863 | Location: Cheyenne, WYOMING, USA | Registered: 13 June 2000Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
POP,

My favorite variable is a Leupold 2.5x-8x; if that's not too much magnification for your needs, there's that Nikon 6.5x-20x. Eeker Big Grin

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Has anyone tried the Leupold scout scope on the ruger #1? I always feel like I am walking up the stock on my #1's, and that could be bad on a 458 lott.

Posts: 63 | Location: Maryville, MO | Registered: 30 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of POP
posted Hide Post
My favorite variable is a Leupold 2.5x-8x.

I was thinking of that or a 2x7 for those long shots on antelope! Ha ha !

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Without a doubt 2.5x compact leupold !!

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hello,
I use both the Leupold and the Nikon 1.5x4 Monarch and like the Nikon a bit better due to oveall size. Stands up to the recoil, but my RSM I believe has less felt recoil than a No. 1 or at least it seems as though. Either one will work, just a question of how long. My Nikon has gone through some 285+ rounds since late August. Good luck.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Iron sights!

A shot not taken is always a miss

Posts: 2788 | Location: gallatin, mo usa | Registered: 10 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Am I suffering from Deja Vu or didn't we cover this same topic last week?

465H&H

Posts: 5686 | Location: Nampa, Idaho | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wow! it's like Deja Vu all over again...

Rich
DRSS

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
POP,

The fixed Leupold 2.5 is regarded as the toughest scope for heavier recoiling rifles. However I have used Leup 1.5-5s on a RSM Rigby (200+ rounds) and one that has seen duty on my #1 Lott and is now currently on my RSM Lott for about 500 rounds total without problems. I may be lucky but I count these 1.5-5s as pretty tough. For the upcoming ground squirrel season I will get extended rings and try the Leup 2.5-8 or even a 3.5-10 on my RSM Lott. Yes, its far from DG, but I want to try a "bigger" scope for both its increased mag on small targets and the bigger objective that lets these messed up eyes resolve the target. The 458 Lott is a fantastic varmint round too!

Whatever scope you choose mount it forward and get your LOP right. A "magnum" eyebrow from a Lott is just not an acceptable occurance! When set up right and you doing your part (correct form for a big rifle) these big rifles can produce great accuaracy.

Get your rifle/scope set up properly and have at it!

John

There are those that do, those that dream, and those that only read about it and then post their "expertise" on AR!

Posts: 831 | Location: Mount Vernon, WA | Registered: 18 November 2001Reply With Quote