New
Find
Notify
Tools

Martini chamberings Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted
If anyone out there has seen Martini sporting rifles in big-bore calibers, I would appreciate hearing what the chamberings were. I have a Greener 12-gauge action and would like to build a 19th-century style sporting rifle in a traditional Martini caliber, but preferably something other than .577 Snider or .577-450. As many of you know, however, the receiver geometry of the Martini limits the cartridges that can be fed into it. Thanks for any help.

Posts: 16412 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The big Martinis are wonderful old actions to work with.

A talented gunsmith I tutored under built three rifles from these actions that I remember. Two were 45-70, one was 444 Marlin. Two of them had half octagon barrels. One was stocked in british style and was truly a piece of art.

I have barreled one Martini Enfield to 30-40 Krag for a customer. I fitted a 3 leaf express sight for the rear and a gold bead ramp front. I also fabricated a band type front sling swivel stud. Polished the whole works to 400 grit then bead blasted and blued for a rust blue look. Looks very british.

I color case hardened one of these actions and they look terrific.

If you have any work done be advised that you will probably need the firing pin turned down and the breech block bushed. Also altering the extractor and machining matching cuts in the barrel are time consuming.

Good Shooting
Craftsman

Posts: 1534 | Location: North Texas | Registered: 11 February 2001Reply With Quote
<Bill Tompkins>
posted
Bill,
Get a hold of "Cartridges of the World" and go through the obsolete chapter. You will find lots of suggestions for cartridges. The 45/70 already suggested as well as starting with the 38/55 and going right on up to the 50/90 and not to forget the 40/65. There is also a series of rimmed target cartridges called "What Cheer" after the range that they were developed for. Buy the book, it is worth many times more than just this instance.

Then if the bug really bites you, start buying books on paper patch cartridges. I did this a while back with a receiver like yours and cast my own paper patch bullets and chambered it for 45/70 and found out that it was way too much fun! It was also extremely accurate for fairly long distances.

Bill

[This message has been edited by Bill Tompkins (edited 09-08-2001).]

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Fellas: Thanks for the thoughts. It was while reading Cartridges of the World, as well as John Taylor, Craig Boddington and Graeme Wright, that I got all worked up on this subject in the first place. And yes, Bill, a friend and I are thinking about resurrecting the .40-90 What Cheer. Wish all my problems were like this!

Posts: 16412 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
Bill/Oregon, a perfect round for this 12 ga is the 577 NE 2 3/4" about he size of a 20ga shot shell, and is the right length.

100 grs cordite, 750 gr bullet, 2050 fps, 7010 fpe at muzzle! has a 200 yds MRT of 5.4"

I would say it would require a heavy barrel,for weight, and a good recoil pad!

------------------
..Mac >>>===(x)===>
DUGABOY DESIGNS
Collector/trader of fine double rifles, and African wildlife art

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Dugaboy: You're the second fella to advise me to try a .577, although the other one recommended the .577 BPE 2.5-inch as being certain to feed properly.
But mercy sakes, 7,000 fpe? I guess a fellow could simply hand it to the cape buff and say, "Here, you shoot it," then cape him out before he comes to ... ;-)

Actually, I was hoping somebody had all those lovely, expensive books on British single-shot sporting rifles and could pass on a few of the chamberings found in late 19th-century Martini sporters in addition to the usual Snider and "Fat Boy."
When it comes to English sporting rifle cartridges, I don't trust Barnes to have it right.

<magua>
posted
We just had a gun show up here this past weekend and wouldn't you know it, two different dealers had original Martini action type guns for sale. One looked like a Greener in 50-110 cal. for just over $3000.00 Can. and the other was mint, in it's original box. Don't know the price or caliber of that one because his stuff makes me weep with desire. Mint , just mint. But if you want more info let me know and I'll get you what you need or their phone numbers.

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
After scouring all the books and articles I could find, and thinking about components, I have concluded that it would make a lot of sense for me to build this Greener in .50-90 Sharps. Bell makes excellent cases at a reasonable price, good moulds are available from Lyman, NEI, RCBS and Lee, and Lyman now makes these dies for about $35. Accurate Arms lists XMP5744 loads for the .50/90 in case I don't want to shoot straight black powder, and performance at original ballistics should be fine for non-dnagerous critters, while smokeless loads in a Greener action should safely nip at the heels of the .500 NE, I am thinking.
Anyone else fool with a .50-90 or any of the .500 BPEs?

<Bill Tompkins>
posted
Bill,

Contact Lee Forsberg, he is a new member here and an extremely well qualified bullet caster/reloader. Lee played with the .50 Alaskan which is the .348 Win. necked up to .50 cal. and cast, lubed and gas-checked his own bullets. He's quite good.

E-mail = leesforsberg@aol.com

Bill