THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BIG BORE FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Big Bores    CZ550 Magnum versus Win Model 70

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

CZ550 Magnum versus Win Model 70 Login/Join

<ronl>
posted
I saw these two ads the other day and I would like some input from others on this forum. I am strongly considering buying a Win Model 70 in .416 Rem for an upcoming buffalo hunt. It will be paired with my .338 Win Mag to be used for the plainsgame on hunt.

I would like comments comparing this CZ550 Magnum with the Custom Win Model 70.

"Custom .416 Rigby by Gary Stiles of American Custom Gun Makers Guild. Built on CZ 550 Magnum action rifle, 23 inch bbl. Dave Gentry barrel band swivel boss, New England Gun Co. front ramp with Holland and Holland style folding night sight,ivory bead/brass bead combo with stippled ramp, CZ island rear with 1 standing and two folding. Whole action polished, bead blasted and deep matte blackened. MPI composite kevlar stock glass bedded, with Pacmayr Decelerator pad and Pacskins on PG and fore end and weighted with shot. Precise Metal Smithing 3 position Model 70 style safety, MacFarland two panel, checkered bolt knob, Anerican Hunting Rifles 2. 5 pound glass sharp trigger. Two sets CZ reinforced scope rings one inch and 30 mm. Manual, spare firing pin, cocking piece and spring. Weighs 11 pounds with scope. Very accurate and first class condition. 2400 fps with 410 grain Woodleighs. Medical condition forces sale. 2000.00 plus shipping."

"Classic Custom Express .416 Rem.Mag. Available by special order through the Win Custom Shop. Mfg. 1996, S.N. G12XX. Unfired w/ very slight handling marks in stock. Claw controlled round feeding, accurized action and hand honed internals, 24" match grade barrel, 3-leaf express sights, barrel mounted sling swivel stud. Hi lustre bluing, jewelled bolt & mag. follower. Stocked in deluxe walnut w/ satin finish & checkering. Includes a new McMillan Supergrade (black color) stock ($350 value)."

Both guns are the same price ($2000).

Thanks for your help.

<500 AHR>
posted
I would take the CZ550 it is a stronger action by far and closer to a real Mauser!!

Todd E

<Bill Tompkins>
posted
ronl,

Hands down, take the CZ in Rigby and as they say, never look back. This rifle will serve you well for a very long time and by comparison is the better buy of the two.
Just an opinion.

Bill

Picture of T.Carr
posted Hide Post
ronl,

That is a tough choice. Both rifles sound like good deals.

Here is something to think about. The .416 Rigby ammunition is much more expensive than the ammo for the .416 Remington (if you are a handloader, I doubt the cost difference is as much as the cost difference between factory loaded ammo).

Also, how many rounds does the Winchester magazine hold? The CZ usually holds 4 rounds. The Winchester usually holds 3 rounds, but since it is a custom shop rifle it may hold 4 rounds.

Tough call, both are good DGRs, personally I like blue and walnut--but that's just me.

Regards,

Terry

Posts: 5338 | Location: A Texan in the Missouri Ozarks | Registered: 02 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Of those two choices I would take the CZ.

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
<HBH>
posted
Gary does very good work. If it is one of his rifles, and he did all the work, I would bet all the bugs are worked out of it. I myself would places more trust in his work.

HBH

<kwagga>
posted
Hi ronl,

I have the CZ 550 in .416 Rigby and I love it!

I don't know the 70, but I'd take the 550.

Regards

Kwagga