Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A-square Lion Load Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Has any one used the A-square lion load?
I was thinking of using the 500 grain lion load bullet in mt .460 Wby on the next year moose hunt. God or bad choice?
On a-squares website they say that it will penetrate 12-24 inch and that is more than enough for the swedish moose.
//OK

one of us
Picture of Tex21
posted Hide Post
The lion load looks to be more of a fragile bullet than a soft point. I haven't read many glowing reports of its use on cats and since these bullets come apart so easily, I'd be hesitant to use on a moose - especially at 460 Weatherby velocities.

I believe I'd use a quality softpoint instead. Better to have a big exit hole than an explosion...

Jason

"Chance favors the prepared mind."

Posts: 1449 | Location: Dallas, Texas | Registered: 24 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Hog Killer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tex21:
I believe I'd use a quality softpoint instead. Better to have a big exit hole than an explosion...

You mean an "A-BOMB" roflmao

Hog Killer

IGNORE YOUR RIGHTS AND THEY'LL GO AWAY!!!
------------------------------------
We Band of Bubbas & STC Hunting Club, The Whomper Club

Posts: 4553 | Location: Walker Co.,Texas | Registered: 05 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Overkill

I had a guide friend in AK that used the Lion load for awhile in his work. It came unglued on everything he shot and vaporized on a moose's backbone. Particularly in a 460 at 20% higher velocity I bet you would get surface wounds with little penetration if bone was hit.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13024 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I killed my moose the year with the A-Square Dead Tough on 338 (250 grain). Complete penetration and a nice wound channel. I think I would avoid the Lion Load for something that big.

Posts: 152 | Location: Carlisle. PA | Registered: 25 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Great rockchuck bullet, I used all of mine on them, after I sent a few through some magazines and they made page 1....

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42176 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote