Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

470 Capstick loads Login/Join

<Mitch>
posted
A friend of mine just bought a 470 Capstick. Would you gentlemen share some of your 470 Capstick loads. My buddy already has the A-Square manual.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The load I finally settled on was 84.0 grains of IMR 4064 and F215 primers in HDS 375 cylindrical brass. I run the brass through the form and trim die, file off about 1/64", run it through the sizer, bell it and load.

The bullets I use are GS Custom FN solid, Trophy Bonded Sledgehammer solids, Woodleigh softs, and Hawk 0.35" jacket softs. All are 500 grains. I have gotten the best accuracy from the GS Custom and the Woodleigh bullets (1/2" groups measured center to center of the bullet holes). The Hawks give me 1.5" groups, but the Hawks are the only choice for North American game because the Woodleighs will not expand.

I have loaded up to 88.0 grains of IMR 4064, but I backed it down to be absolutely sure I had no pressure issues for a November hunt in ZIM. In the US I would not hesitate to hunt with 88 grains.

With these loads, the HDS brass works perfectly, but the A-Square brass is sticky in the chamber. Most likely a soft brass problem (?).

I have also loaded Hornady and Speer 400 grain JHP pistol bullets. I will have to look it up, but I think I was using 3031, maybe 70-80 grains. I got 1.5" groups, but imagine what that would do to a coyote!

Can you tell us about your friend's rifle?

[This message has been edited by 500grains (edited 11-06-2001).]

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
<Mitch>
posted
500 Grains, His rifle was made by the Winchester custom shop. It has a stainless 24 inch barrel, it is a real beauty. I only saw it once briefly it is now at the gunsmiths having a muzzle brake installed.