Find
Notify
Tools

Newbie Question Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of HeftyLefty
posted
Hi,
I'm 18 and new to shooting. sort of. I always was fascinated with guns but my parents never shot so I never got the opportunity and knew better than to ask for one. I have just graduated and am working. I have few expenses so im trying to spend my extra money on guns while i can. I'm looking to get a big bore rifle that I can shoot some. I want something powerful and that will go the distance. I am a lefty and that limits my options without going to a good gunsmith. I'm looking at 338 Remington Ultra mag or bigger, 375 H&H would be nice. Any know of a lefty from a manufacturer or somthing like that that would work. Thanks in advance. I'm assuming just about all of these are bolt action.
Josh

"The most foolish mistake we could possibly make would be to allow the subjected people to carry arms. History shows that all conquerors who have allowed their subjected peoples to carry arms have prepared their own downfall by so doing. Indeed, I would go so far as to say that the underdog is a sine qua non ["something essential" lit. "without which not"] for the overthrow of any sovereignty. So let's not have any native militia or police."
---Adolph Hitler, Edict of March 18, 1938

Posts: 28 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: 10 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 505ED
posted Hide Post
Josh,

I had a 458 that would have fit you to a tee, but Alas I sold it. Look for a nice Win 70 in a 375 it will not be cheap, but alot of gun for the money, or wait for a CZ 550. I hear that they are comming Summer or Fall 08 might give you some time to save!

505ED
Fellow lefty

DRSS Member

Posts: 2289 | Location: Texas | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The factories make my guns. I almost never ever need a smith.

Another interesting cartridge is the 458 Win. It can be loaded down and with the right cast bullet it will take a lot of game up close and be fun to load and shoot. With a full power load it will take anything.

On the otherhand some want a custom worked over by a pro and here is one. Not really a bad deal at all what with Penrod, Krieger and that Mcmill stock.

Cheap custom 375

Join the NRA

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I sympathise with you - I had to hassle my parents to let me go shooting (this was 40 years ago). Go for the 375 and get a good quality gun, one you'll want to keep forever and get some basic reloading gear so you can make up light loads for practice. there is nothing difficult about reloading.

Always use some sort of shoulder protection unless hunting - a bath towel folded four times makes a big difference.

You'll probably get lots of advice about getting a less hard kicking rifle but if you really want a big bore, get one. Just protect yourself from the recoil. Your handle suggests that you may be a big bloke; remember bigger guys feel recoil more as they don't roll with the rifle as easily.

After an airgun, I got my stepson (who was then a small 13 year old) a 12 ga shot gun - on the basis that it would kick him hard enough to make him respect the power/danger of the weapon. He is now 36 and a fine shot.

regards,

mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Don't exclude the singles, they make great leftys without modification. A Ruger #1 is available in most any caliber at a reasonable price. An advantage with a falling block is that they are shorter overall length than bolt guns due to rcvr length making them very compact. But make that 1st shot count as it should. If money is not a factor then a double may be a good investment. Also keep in mind that Remington will hopefully have an affordable double on the market soon. R.

Posts: 1049 | Location: Cut-n-Shoot, Texas USA | Registered: 15 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of WyoJoe
posted Hide Post
Try this:http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=65142316

Or this one (may be too pricey) http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=65262540

You might also want to try www.auctionarms.com. Just type in what caliber you are interested in and either LH or left.

There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor polite, nor popular -- but one must ask, "Is it right?"

Martin Luther King, Jr.

Posts: 1172 | Location: Cheyenne, WY | Registered: 15 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Josh, what do you want to use the rifle for?

A gun is a tool. A moron is a moron. A moron with a hammer who busts something is still just a moron, it's not a hammer problem. Daniel77

Posts: 1275 | Location: Sydney, New South Wales, Australia | Registered: 02 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of HeftyLefty
posted Hide Post
wow, quick responses. I will want to use the rifle for fun shooting, maybe hunting. About recoil, i shoot skeet and sporting clays regularly (full round of 100 at least once a week)so i'm not to worried about recoil. I would like to be able to get a rifle from a manufacturer because they will be cheaper. One thing on lop. Whenever I shoulder a bolt action and work the bolt, the rear of the bolt seems to come right to my eyeball. I'm probably using more of a shotgun mount but is that normal. The rifles were browning A-bolts and winchester model 70s. I'll definatly consider the single shots and the falling block actions. I'm going to keep looking and I'm watching all of those auctions. thanks for the advice. I'm going to do more investigating. thanks alot.
josh

"The most foolish mistake we could possibly make would be to allow the subjected people to carry arms. History shows that all conquerors who have allowed their subjected peoples to carry arms have prepared their own downfall by so doing. Indeed, I would go so far as to say that the underdog is a sine qua non ["something essential" lit. "without which not"] for the overthrow of any sovereignty. So let's not have any native militia or police."

Posts: 28 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: 10 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of trophyhunter5000
posted Hide Post
The 458 is a fun round to play with. It probably has the biggest selection of bullet types and weights than any other big bore. It is easy to load for and can be relatively cheap plinker if you use 45-70 type bullets. If you are ever going to consider hunting with it I’d look for a repeater. But if it’s just a fun gun you can’t go wrong with a Ruger No1.

Matt V.

Posts: 781 | Location: The Mountain State | Registered: 13 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
They have left handed guns on guns america too.

Posts: 929 | Location: southern illinois | Registered: 29 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HeftyLefty:
Hi,
I'm 18 and new to shooting. sort of. I always was fascinated with guns but my parents never shot so I never got the opportunity and knew better than to ask for one. I have just graduated and am working. I have few expenses so im trying to spend my extra money on guns while i can. I'm looking to get a big bore rifle that I can shoot some. I want something powerful and that will go the distance. I am a lefty and that limits my options without going to a good gunsmith. I'm looking at 338 Remington Ultra mag or bigger, 375 H&H would be nice. Any know of a lefty from a manufacturer or somthing like that that would work. Thanks in advance. I'm assuming just about all of these are bolt action.
Josh

Since you are young , I offer some advice:
1) Go to college/get your own business or pick up a high paying trade. Nice guns, especially big bore, are never cheap. You don't want to have to give up your prize rifle(s) to buy, let's say, a house or some other essential.

2) You can never go wrong with a good Winchester M70 in .375 H&H. Don't confuse fad with fashion, kid; this cartridge is going to be around for another 100 years. It's practically the 30-06 of the big bores.

3) Learn how to reload.

Good luck, and have fun!

Posts: 5184 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 06 August 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'm looking to get a big bore rifle that I can shoot some. I want something powerful and that will go the distance.

Josh,

I'm not a lefty and I'm not here to give any recommendation, only antecedent info. So you don't start off your AR posting career on the wrong foot.

No rifle, no matter what action style, no matter how much powder capacity, with a .375" bore is considered a big bore except here on AR. That's because our benefactor, Saeed, who shoots a .375/404 said so. This is his place and he makes the rules. I use a 416 Rem mag and even it's not considered a big bore in some circles. True big bores are bigger than, or at least start at, .458"

Posts: 4799 | Location: Lehigh county, PA | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gumboot458
posted Hide Post
Welcome Josh,,,,...Ruger is coming out with their 375 Ruger in left hand African version as I understand....... Some people seem to like excessive recoil ,,,,,,,Most don,t....A 750 gr bullet at 2400 fps may be considered EXCESSIVE...Be cautous of becoming a desciple of some people and their views,, until you prove them for yourself......A Ruger # 1 Tropical in 416 Rigby or 458 Win Mag/458 Lott would be a good tool for life .. Put a 2 1/2 x Leupold scope on it ,,,Go Kill a ship load of game with it ......As to cycling a bolt rifle from your shoulder ,,,your cheek shouldn,t be on the comb when this is going on ... As your left hand regrasps the grip, your eye acquires the sight as your cheek lays on the cheek peice area....... Never accept a rifle that won,t fit ... and I mean relly fit...Its most important to enjoyable shooting......If you want to put a muzzel brake on your rifle , go ahead . Any ony who gets after you about it ,,remember what your middle finger is for !!!but don,t blast every one else off the range if they are there...... Buy a chronograph befor you buy a reloading kit....... Its nice to see who is telling the truth.....And to find where to stop , when you are developing a load... Have fun ,,,,And always watch your muzzel!!!!!!!!!!!! keep your finger off the triger until you are ready to take the shot !!!!

.If it can,t be grown , its gotta be mined ....

Posts: 3445 | Location: Copper River Valley , Prudhoe Bay , and other interesting locales | Registered: 19 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of HeftyLefty
posted Hide Post
Onefunzr2,
Just as a side note. There doesn't seem to be much room between .458 and .50 which usually are separated.
Gumboot,
Thanks for the info on rifle fit. I have learned alot about safety on the shotgun ranges. I am starting shotshell reloading soon and if I can do that no sweat, I will start metallic reloading for my own rifles. I have learned from many people how not to do things. but thanks for the advice.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Onefunzr2,
Just as a side note. There doesn't seem to be much room between .458 and .50 which usually are separated.

I don't understand your point.

Posts: 4799 | Location: Lehigh county, PA | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of HeftyLefty
posted Hide Post
Onefunzr,
Your right there are more. I just wasnt thinking. I forgot like all the NE calibers! Sorry.