THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BIG BORE FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Big Bores    Falling block Farquartsen(sp) action

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Falling block Farquartsen(sp) action Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Wildcatter
posted
I believe Karl in Australia had some insight on this item. He was saying that the prices might be good as well.

I'm very interested in a large falling block to build a .577 on and a huge one to build an 8-bore on. I would greatly appreciate any info you could send my way.
-Catter

Posts: 788 | Location: Central Texas, U.S. | Registered: 20 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The only Info I can supply is that the spelling is "Farquarson"!

Good luck in your quest, these are nice actions but I am thinking that they would be tightly held as collectors items on already built English guns.

Cheers

Pete

Posts: 541 | Location: Mokopane, Limpopo Province, South Africa | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
<David J. Moses>
posted
Oh, yeah, and it is pronounced "far'-ke-sen". I pronounced it "far-kwar'-sen" for years until a perplexed young man from Holland & Holland politely corrected me.

<Harald>
posted
Don't feel bad. That pronunciation is only because some Vikings once raided Scotland. The original pronunciation is more like: Fahr-kvar-sen.

But does anyone know anything about a big (hopefully affordable) Farquarson action?

posted Hide Post
Isn't the Ruger No1 a modern version of this??

If you want an orginal, I suspect you'll have to look for a British ex military .577.
Greener also produced single barrel 12Bore shotguns on this action which go quite cheap in the UK...I'm not sure if they made 10 or 8 bores but it is possible as such guns were used for wildfowling. Whether either of these are suitable for conversion I have no idea as I suspect they both may be relatively low pressure.

Regards,

Pete

Posts: 5684 | Location: North Wales UK | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Pete. I wouldn't call a Ruger #1 a modern version of the Farquharson (how many different spellings are there of that name?????)but just a rifle built along the same general lines, and probably a good deal stronger, as well. I have heard though, that the extraction system on the farquharson's were weak and stuck cases could be a problem with the old cordite loads in hot tropical weather. Might be something to consider there.
Paul B.

Posts: 2814 | Location: Tucson AZ USA | Registered: 11 May 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Paul,

I can't argue with you on the finer points of action design, but it seems to me the Ruger No1 might be a better candidate for this "style" of rifle. As you say, I suspect they are stronger and that much easier to find. I know they have been used to for .458's, but I'm not sure about the modern .577 rounds...

Pete

Posts: 5684 | Location: North Wales UK | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
The Farquharsons are not hard to find, but they are hell to finance! try www.capeoutfitters.com Click on firearms, then on singleshot rifles.

They have plenty of them and they average between $6K, and $8K, and those are all made of IRON and are not particularly strong actions. As someone here eluded to, they had a lot of extraction problems even with the low pressure rounds they were chambered with from the factory. I believe the Ruger No1 is a far better action, for conversion to anything that would fit. The 4 bore may require it's own action, as the Farquharsons are about the same size as the No1., and 577 is about as large as one can go in the Ruger.

I have Ruger No1s chambered for 458 RCBS, 500/450 3 1/4 ", 450/400 3" , and am now looking for a No1 chambered for any of the belted magnums on the 375 H&H case, to rebarrel to 9.3X74R as the extractor/ejector for these are proper for the 9.3X74R, avoiding any more modification than is nesseccary, to build. The No1 is a good platform for almost anything you would want in a single shot,and for $6000, to $8000 USD one can build a very nice rifle on the No1, and that is what it will cost just to get a Farquhrson, to start with!

------------------
..Mac >>>===(x)===>
DUGABOY DESIGNS
Collector/trader of fine double rifles, and African wildlife art

[This message has been edited by MacD37 (edited 08-04-2001).]

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
<Rich Kayser>
posted
JD Jones will build up to 600NE on the Ruger #1/#3. Your rifle and well under $1000 for a rebarrel job. Had one in 500NE 3" before buying my Krieghoff.

Rich