Find
Notify
Tools

375 Weatherby question. Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of kiwiwildcat
posted
Hey guys.

I've read many times how the various 416's generating over 5000ft lbs of muzzle energy with 400gr projectile show a noticeable difference in striking power on Buffalo, when compared to the 375 H&H.

So, does the 375 Weatherby shooting a 300gr at 2800fps and generating around 5200ftlbs of muzzle energy also show that same bullet striking effect as the 416's, despite the less bullet weight and bullet diameter than the 416's.

And does going up to a 350gr projectile in 375 Weatherby with a corresponding higher velocity than the 375 H&H also move the terminal effect closer to the 416's ?

She was only the Fish Mongers daughter. But she lay on the slab and said 'fillet'

Posts: 511 | Location: Auckland, New Zealand. | Registered: 22 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted Hide Post
I have a 375 Weatherby, and it's an excellent round. I shoot 300g A-Frames at a sedate 2700 fps and 350g Woodleighs at 2550 fps. I'd say it's in between a 375 H&H and a 416 Rem. Bullet diameter and weight matters, velocity can only do so much.

Regards,

Chuck

"There's a saying in prize fighting, everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Michael Douglas "The Ghost And The Darkness"

Posts: 4731 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: 01 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scott Powell
posted Hide Post
For solids I would say it's al about sectional density since the bullets do not deform too much. The 416 will have a higher SD

For softs it would be terminal section density and depending on how well the bullet holds up on impact.. Higher velocity, smaller SD - would it be more likely to deflect or break up? Modern premium bullets would hold together I would think..

I know my PHs would say bigger bullet = higher SD which is what breaks bones....

"At least once every human being should have to run for his life - to teach him that milk does not come from the supermarket, that safety does not come from policemen, and that news is not something that happens to other people." - Robert Heinlein

Posts: 893 | Location: Akron, OH | Registered: 07 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JMJ888
posted Hide Post
I think the 350gr bullets out of a 375 WBY would close the gap substantially closer to the 416's. I have pushed them to 2550-2600 out of a 375 RUM but they are limited by the 3.6" length action as most of the heavy for caliber bullets start to encroach on powder space...specifically the Barnes. But 350gr 375 bullets have one of the highest SD's you can achieve and I doubt you would see much empirical evidence of killing power between that and a 416.

That being said if you make the step up in recoil you might as well do it with a bigger bore as the bigger 375s start to lose efficiency to squeeze out more speed.

Posts: 436 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 27 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I "think" the extra velocity matters. But not by much! Of course, the trajectory isn't much flatter either!

But I've only shot 3 or 4 with each of the calibers under discussion, 416 Remington, 375 H&H and Weatherby. So I need to research it further!

My current build is a 375 RUM and I need to try it on a few buffalo also!

Posts: 541 | Location: Mostly USA | Registered: 25 March 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have used 350gr in the 375 H&H and liked it very much. At "buffalo distance" it seems to work well. Penetration as tested was more than 300gr in the same bullet design. I can't state for sure that it is better but I prefer it.

I've never hunted buffalo with my 375 Wby but a 350gr at 2500fps would be high on my list to try.

Posts: 690 | Location: JOHANNESBURG, SOUTH AFRICA | Registered: 17 January 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Kiwi,

I shoot the 375 WBY and like it very much. Having said that I don't think it does much that the 375 H&H won't do, having used both on several safaris.

The WBY shoots a little flatter and hits harder but I don't think you'd ever notice the difference in the field on buffalo.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12872 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote