Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Turk 38 in .404 Jefferey? Login/Join

<hsp223>
posted
Can a Turkish mauser model 38 be rechambered to a 404 Jeffery? The model 38 is the standard large ring 98 mauser action except it uses small ring barrels. It seems the Turks had a large supply of small shank barrels leftover when they refurbished their armies in 1938, so they specified the receivers to accept the small shank barrel instead of the standard barrel. I am wondering if these actions are strong enough to take the pressure. Any comments would be appreciated. Thanks

one of us
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't, the Turk is a large ring small thread action...It's a decent action but the metalurgy is a little trashy...

------------------
Ray Atkinson

ray@atkinsonhunting.com
atkinsonhunting.com

Posts: 41875 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
<hsp223>
posted
Thanks Ray. I wasn't aware of the metallurgy aspect of the action as I haven't seen any tests on it. I am aware of the lack of fine finish to the rifles. The stocks look as if angry beavers made them. And the rest of the rifle was put together with mismatched or spare parts with a definite lack of attention to detail. I can't find a definitive source as to the manufacturer of these guns. Some say the Germans provided them during the time when international law prohibited Germany from exporting arms (result of treaties from WWI). As such they are not marked with any German crests or proof marks, nor are they scrubbed. Others say that Turkey made them as by the early 40's they had the capability or so it is said. I have no idea as to what type of metal was used or the heat treatment.

one of us
posted Hide Post
You would be miles ahead and save money in the long run if you purchased an action large enough for the 404 cartridge. Take a hard look at the CZ550: A lot of value for the money.

Posts: 1055 | Location: Real Sasquatch Country!!! I Seen 'Em! | Registered: 16 January 2001Reply With Quote
<hsp223>
posted
Rick- It's not so much the money or the end result but the journey to get there that I enjoy. It's the fun of doing it. I really enjoy tinkering with guns but alas I haven't the space or a lathe for serious work but I can rebarrel and use a file. I guess I'll use the Turks for a smaller caliber project and find a good CZ action for the 404. Thanks

one of us
posted Hide Post
Yep, know the feeling, sometimes it is the journey, not the result. Been there many times! Starting on a couple more long journeys that could best be served by another route: Duplicating Harry Selby's 416 Rigby Mauser and building several 500 Jeffery rifles. A very good classic cartridge for the 98 is the 9.3x62, I have one in work now.

Posts: 1055 | Location: Real Sasquatch Country!!! I Seen 'Em! | Registered: 16 January 2001Reply With Quote