Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Muzzle Brakes Yes or No Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Started using muffs when 18 yrs. old. Noticed after a cylinder full of .357 mags I couldn't hear anything. Figured this can't be good (duh!).
Only shot w/ a brake I took hunting was in NZ for chamois, laser ranged at 337 meters.
With a Christensen Arms .257 Wby. Why you'd want a brake on a .25 cal. rifle is one of the great unsolved mysteries. Borrowed rifle.
Anyway, PH & I discussed holding into the wind, both myself & the PH forgot about the brake, we left our phones off, and I touched off.
Dropped the chamois, the we both dropped to our knees, holding our ears.
All I heard was a shrieking sound, and I thought my ears were bleeding.
Never again. Thank God it was only 1 shot.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Ive always thought brakes were ugly as hell, so I have my thread protectors recessed under my barrel band front sights, Looking at my gun the crown does not show the gun has a brake, only shows when the brake is on it...I can use a quarter to take the thread protector off and on but had a little tool made for that. I also tried a small drill hold and c attach ment on one and it was nice, then a small flat on each side, they all worked well.

Its been an interesting thread that just won't die, but its been fun, and there is no right or wrong imo, just good honest opinion..I like that.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41859 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The biggest problem now with muzzle brakes is everyone around you.

Once again electronic technology has changed everything. Electronic earmuffs are now very reasonable (you can get a pair for $20 on CDNN. Not the best, but they do work). Buy a pair and use it all the time (at the range and in the field). The electronics amplify regular sound so you can hear better with the muffs on than without them. No reason to ever not have them on whenever you squeeze the trigger.

Of course people around you when you are in the field may not be so equipped. No solution for that now, but one day everyone in the field or at the range will be wearing electronic ear protection.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Funny how every time I shot at game in africa and australia with my little 376 steyr it never sounded very loud but shoot it at the range or have someone else shoot it and that 61 grains of varget is damn loud!

Posts: 966 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 23 September 2011Reply With Quote