Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Trophy Bonded Bullets Login/Join

one of us
posted
With Jack Carter's passing the company has appeared to cease operation. Does anyone know what the future of Trophy Bonded Bullets is especially since more that one ammunition manufacture loads these bullets? Specifically I am looking for .470 N.E.(.474) Bearclaw soft points. Can any one help me with that?
Thanks

Posts: 383 | Location: Whitehorse, Yukon, Canada | Registered: 25 March 2001Reply With Quote
<Quint 6>
posted
I had heard that Federal bought Trophy Bonded sometime earlier in the year. I think I read it on one of these forums, but I'm not sure. Hope this helps. Glen.

posted Hide Post
Federal bought Trophy Bonded about four or five years ago, if I remember correctly. They have been producing the bullets that are in their factory ammo for this period of time. Mr. Carter was still making the bullets for us handloaders but now that he has passed on there hasn't been any word from Federal as to whether or not they will start selling component bullets.

Posts: 1148 | Location: The Hunting Fields | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I talked to Federal a couple of months ago and they said not likely. On a positive note, the North Fork bullets shoot to the same place as the BC's, just have to try them on game this fall.

Posts: 711 | Location: Michigan , USA | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 470 Mbogo
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by jhaney:
Hi jhaney,
Just go to the 500 grain Swift A-Frame bullets and you will be very pleased. I shot Buffalo with these and the performance and weight retention was magnificent. They mushroomed out to over .850 and still weighed
480 grains. They have lots of lead showing and will start to open up quickly at 470 Nitro velocities. You can't beat that kind of performance. Another bullet that you could try is the GS custom bullets as well as the one previously mentioned in the prior post. I only have personal experience with the Swift A-Frame. 470 Mbogo

Posts: 1247 | Location: Sechelt B.C. | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
<JohnDL>
posted
Unfortunately, Federal does not have a good track record of making component parts available. Still, they have probably been stuck with left over inventory following Jack's passing. I will contact them and find out if this is a true assumption on my part and, if so, what they may have available. I'm personally not so much worried about the softs but their solids were damn good. If I get an answer from Federal I will post the reply.

One of Us
Picture of Zero Drift
posted Hide Post
John - Do indeed let us know. I mostly shoot Woodleigh softs & solids, however, Jack�s Sledgehammer solid was outstanding. I would love to stock up if Federal will play.

Posts: 10780 | Location: Test Tube | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
<JohnDL>
posted
I e-mailed Federal's "Customer Service" and got no response so I called. The fellow said that as best as he knew there was no more inventory at TBB. He did not know if Federal would be picking up the TBB line.
My advice to others wanting TBB bullets would be to check in places like the Shotgun News or the like for people wanting to sell what they have. Otherwise, there are other small firms with good products out there.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 470 Mbogo:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by jhaney:
Hi jhaney,
Just go to the 500 grain Swift A-Frame bullets and you will be very pleased. I shot Buffalo with these and the performance and weight retention was magnificent. They mushroomed out

to over .850 and still weighed
480 grains. They have lots of lead showing and will start to open up quickly at 470 Nitro velocities. You can't beat that kind of performance. Another bullet that you could try is the GS custom bullets as well as the one previously mentioned in the prior post. I only have personal experience with the Swift A-Frame. 470 Mbogo

Thanks 470 Mbogo. I agree the Swift was my first choice, but found that the Swift actually crossed over in my Merkel double at 50 yds at velocities over 2100fps where as the Trophy bonded did not. Strange but true. If anyone has some Trophy Bonded bullets for sale let me know.

Jim

Posts: 383 | Location: Whitehorse, Yukon, Canada | Registered: 25 March 2001Reply With Quote
<Terry P>
posted
jhaney,
I have a Merkel in the 470 also. With factory rounds mine is crossing at 50 yards. Would I lower or increase the velocity to bring the group closer. It shoots a good group--about 3" from both barrels at 50 yards. Do you have any loads you could share with me that would match the factory ammo?
Also have you tried contacting Trophy Bonded directly? They have an internet site.
Thanks,
Terry

<JohnDL>
posted
I got an e-mail reply from Federal about TBB. I went ahead and posted under African Hunting.