THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BIG BORE FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Big Bores    How often do you get your big bore out

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How often do you get your big bore out Login/Join

one of us
Picture of 470 Mbogo
posted
How often do you really get out and shoot your big bore rifles? Some of you have to travel quite a distance to be able to shoot so how often are you able to make the effort? Some of us are lucky enough to be able to head out the back door and shoot within 10 minutes. Do the 375's hit the range more often than the 458 plus rifles? 470 Mbogo

Posts: 1247 | Location: Sechelt B.C. | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
Unfortunately my big bores are in the shop

As far as how often I can take them out, all my shooting is at lunch time, the range is a 15 min drive, and I've been known to stretch the lunch "hour"

We have no caliber restrictions at the range, I can shoot from 22lr on up to whatever I choose to bring. It is not uncommon to see a 375, 416 or 458. I'm suprised I don't see more 375's, but there aren't that many folks that shoot at lunch, though the #'s have been increasing the last several years. Many folks work in the oil fields 1 week on, 1 off, or 2 on 2 off, and they likely represent a large portion of the lunch crowd.

When I had my 458 lott, and was working up loads, I was shooting it weekly

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
<redleg155>
posted
For me, like many I imagine, not nearly as much as I would like to. I think I will get out tomorrow with the 9.3x64 for some load testing. Those loads were assembled in October! That gives you an idea of the time it takes me to get out to the range.

Often, my shooting time is spent with my clays gun at a local course.

I did hear from the 'smith that my 460 G&A is nearly complete though. I wait with great anticipation...

redleg

Should have added this before but I've shot over 250,000 rounds of .22 LR at targets and while it's a different game with a rifle that can punish you - the fundamentals are the same. Familiarity and habits are what goes away with time and no practice. But, the fundamentals stay with you, albeit without the stamina that constant training develops.

-redleg

[This message has been edited by redleg155 (edited 12-29-2001).]

one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't shoot it a lot but I handle it at least 4 or 5 nights a week for at least 5 minutes....dry-firing, operating the bolt etc. Just love to have than stainless steel, McMillan-stocked beauty in my hands.

Posts: 4360 | Location: Sunny Southern California | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of loud-n-boomer
posted Hide Post
On average, I shoot about three days a month. Generally speaking, if I go to the range, I'll take either my .375 H&H or my .450 Watts and shoot ten rounds or so. I typically shoot about once a month at the local range. If I don't get time to go to the range, I'll shoot on my own property, but generally limit that to .22LR, unless its only a couple of shots, as I try not to rattle my neighbors' windows too much.

Posts: 3818 | Location: Eastern Slope, Colorado, USA | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Since my range is 20 paces from my front door, as much as possible - weather and now daylight permitting. A neighbor about a 1/2 mile down the road commented that I must reload every night. Well, not every night!

------------------
RC

Posts: 1147 | Location: Ohio USA | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
<500 AHR>
posted
I shoot about three days a month. I usually take my plnking rifle, which is a Ruger M77 MkII Magnum in 416 Rigby and put between 40 and 60 full house loads through it. I do put about 100 rounds a year through my 500 AHR, typically prior to hunting. I occasionally take one of my doubles out and practice as well. They doubles are 9.3X74R and a 475 No2 Jeffery.

I also enjoy blasting away mountains of surplus ammo thourhg my M21 or my L1A1.

[This message has been edited by Todd E (edited 12-29-2001).]

one of us
Picture of Oldsarge
posted Hide Post
Because of distance and urbanization, it's a good month when I get to the range twice! I shoot the big boomers consistantly for six months when preparing for a safari and the rest of the time I play with my vintagers .
Sarge

Posts: 2690 | Location: Lakewood, CA. USA | Registered: 07 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I get out my .416 every night and practice bringing it up to the shoulder wishing I were hunting the game it was meant for. But the reality is I will shoot rabbits with it once a month for a laugh and hopefully later this year will be hunting feral camels, Donkey's and Horses. I just love the big calibers and now I want something bigger than .416.

------------------

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of HunterJim
posted Hide Post
I didn't have a big bore for a couple of years since I sold my .450 Ackley. Recently I received a .450 Short Magnum for testing, so I am getting that rifle and the loads ready for some load development. Also this week the Lahti Rifle Evaluator arrived, so I am excited to see how well it will work with 500 grain, full-power loads.

I learned a home practice protocol from Jeff Cooper. You place yourself so you can watch your television with your rifle, and every time you get the letter O or a zero 0 on the screen, you mount the rifle and dry fire. It is also a good test of how "handy" the rifle is, and well as practice when you can't get to the range.

jim dodd

------------------
"if you are to busy to
hunt, you are too busy."

Posts: 4166 | Location: San Diego, CA USA | Registered: 14 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I take my 460 Wby with me every time I go to the range- which is about twice a month. I fire between 10-20 rounds per visit. At my range I rarely see anything larger than a 300 Ultra Mag or 30-378 (with the exception of 50 BMG's which I see less than once a month at the range).

Posts: 57 | Location: Mesa, AZ. | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DB Bill:
I don't shoot it a lot but I handle it at least 4 or 5 nights a week for at least 5 minutes....dry-firing, operating the bolt etc. Just love to have than stainless steel, McMillan-stocked beauty in my hands.

DB Bill, was that ment to razz old Ray?

------------------
..Mac >>>===(x)===>
also DUGABOY1
DUGABOY DESIGNS
Collector/trader of fine double rifles, and African wildlife art

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I am able to shoot my 375 and 458 Lott at least once a week. Shot them both this morning, in fact. The gun club that I belong to is only about 20 minutes from my house.

Posts: 448 | Location: High Ridge MO USA | Registered: 16 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Since my 100 and 50 yard range are from my front porch, nearly daily spring and summer. The varmint lighter rifles get the workout during the winter. The October and November is reserved for my primary hunting rifles 338/404 and the 375.

Steve

------------------
Every man dies, but not every man really lives!!

Posts: 439 | Location: Kansas by way of Colorado and Montana | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
<Keith from CO>
posted
I'm blessed to be able to shoot everything I
own from off my deck. Just have to warn my
wife that I'm gonna "fire off a few". So my
big-bore gets shot at least every couple of days. My 308 and 300 win target rifles are
getting a little jealous of all the attention
I've been giving my 450 watts, but they'll just have to try to understand.

Good shooting,

Keith

one of us
Picture of 470 Mbogo
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Keith from CO:
Hi Keith,
Welcome to the forum and it sounds that you are blessed with a good wife too. Does the 450 Watts echoing off the sundeck make the bread go flat and cakes hit the bottom of the pan. 470 Mbogo

<Paul Dustin>
posted
I shot my 375 JRS about once a month

<Keith from CO>
posted
No, "470" they don't go flat at all. I learned long ago not to "fire off a few"
when she's baking. Even a good woman can
undergo significant personality changes
under such circumstances.

Keith

one of us
posted Hide Post
MY 45 Long colt? Every night;-)
gs

Posts: 1805 | Location: American Athens, Greece | Registered: 24 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Once every 4 day's for me, the range is 5 mile's out of town .
I mostly have the range to myself.usually I bring 3 or 4 guns and one of them is a big bore for sure.
The 416 and a 50 Sharps more so then my 375.

ps Mongo 470, The 602 BRNO is at the
gunsmith with a 50cal Pac Nor
barrel,it will be done in Feb.
can't wait

REgards Martin

Posts: 327 | Location: Alberta Canada | Registered: 25 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
470 mbogo: sorry for misspelling our handel in the previous post

Martin

Posts: 327 | Location: Alberta Canada | Registered: 25 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My brother and I try and get out every week to clear pests from a mate's local farm with the 375. Practising on small game gives me the skills I need to shoot ummm... other small game
The 585 has accounted for a couple of fuel drums full of water this week.
Like the guys above if I can't shoot them I still take them out of the safe for a bit of a fondle.

Karl.

Posts: 3533 | Location: various | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by 470 Mbogo:
[B]How often do you really get out and shoot your big bore rifles?

Usually two or three times a week.
The Whitworth .375AI and the VZ24 .458WM.

Have Fun!

Posts: 2352 | Location: KENAI, ALASKA | Registered: 10 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 470 Mbogo
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Martin@Hin:
Hi Martin,
Glad to hear that your project is under way. Which 50 caliber cartridge did you pick.
470 Mbogo

one of us
posted Hide Post
470 Mbogo:
50 AS, I ordered the barrel with a brake as you suggested and also prechamberd (some what deeper so the smith can headspace it properly)the chamber is tight and has a parallel lead into the rifling(same size as the groove diam)this would make for a accurate set up but may get me into trouble whit cast bullets as cartridges with a 1 or 2 thou oversized cast bullet will not fit.

I may have to look into the paper patch thing you where exploring some time back.

I will try the factory stock first I drilled a 6" hole through the wrist and epoxyed a 1/4" steel rod into it,also installed cross bolds,will bed the action and try it if it don't work out I'll have buy a other stock.

I don't mind the drop of the fact.stock so much because I won't put a scope on it and it fit's me well for open sights.
We will have to see.

Regards Martin