THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BIG BORE FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Big Bores    Has anyone been using the 350gr TTSX from their .375s on medium/big game?

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Has anyone been using the 350gr TTSX from their .375s on medium/big game? Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Got a couple boxes recently but haven't used them yet. The last word on forums goes back to about 2014.

Any results would be appreciated. Thanks.

Bob
www.bigbores.ca

"Let every created thing give praise to the LORD, for he issued his command, and they came into being" - King David, Psalm 148 (NLT)

Posts: 847 | Location: Kawartha Lakes, ONT, Canada | Registered: 21 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
No, I haven't.
However, if it helps, I have used Barnes TSX 300 gn from my .375 H&H on two Impale rams, one at about 80 yds, the other at about 40 yds. Worked very well.

Hunting.... it's not everything, it's the only thing.

Posts: 2021 | Location: New Zealand's North Island | Registered: 13 November 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Have a box arriving as well. Will be using Big Game powder with these.

Posts: 106 | Location: Wet Side, WA | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scott King
posted Hide Post
Couldn't get mine to shoot. "Groups" looked like a shotgun pattern.

I suppose it would work, it is a 350 grain, 375 cal so if you hit it anywhere it otta be lethal. Big Grin

Posts: 9121 | Location: Dillingham Alaska | Registered: 10 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not to be pedantic, but do you mean the TSX 350gr .375 bullet? They don't make a tipped TSX at that weight.

I haven't used the 350, but the 300gr .375 TSX has performed well for me and my son on impala, Cape buffalo, giraffe, zebra, and a lionness. I'm impressed!

Posts: 110 | Location: Idaho | Registered: 07 October 2015Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scott King:

I suppose it would work, it is a 350 grain, 375 cal so if you hit it anywhere it otta be lethal. Big Grin

I doubt it my friend.

A hit in the wrong place, regardless of caliber, is not going to be any good.

I have seen it myself, with calibers up to the 577 T. Rex.

A well placed bullet, regardless of caliber, cannot be beat.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66998 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by England:
Not to be pedantic, but do you mean the TSX 350gr .375 bullet? They don't make a tipped TSX at that weight.

I haven't used the 350, but the 300gr .375 TSX has performed well for me and my son on impala, Cape buffalo, giraffe, zebra, and a lionness. I'm impressed!

My bad! A typo!That should have been: a .375 250gr TTSX

I'm aware of the 350 TSX, thanks for the correction! Sorry for the confusion.

Bob
www.bigbores.ca

"Let every created thing give praise to the LORD, for he issued his command, and they came into being" - King David, Psalm 148 (NLT)

Posts: 847 | Location: Kawartha Lakes, ONT, Canada | Registered: 21 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scott King
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:
quote:
Originally posted by Scott King:

I doubt it my friend.

A hit in the wrong place, regardless of caliber, is not going to be any good.

I have seen it myself, with calibers up to the 577 T. Rex.

A well placed bullet, regardless of caliber, cannot be beat.

Oh I was kidding. When I was trying to group the 350 I was just aghast at how terrible they were for me. I tried both the tax and the banded solid.

If I need to focus on a "well placed bullet" I suppose I should start trying to shoot with my eyes open. Big Grin

Posts: 9121 | Location: Dillingham Alaska | Registered: 10 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by .458 Only:
quote:

Bob
www.bigbores.ca

I couldn't get the the 250 grain TTSX to group better than 2.5+" at 100 yards and I really wanted them to work for a Namibia plains game hunt and a South African Nyala hunt. I tried them for three years and they just don't shoot in my gun. They are the only Barnes bullets in my 375 H&H that I couldn't get to group submoa. The 300 grain TSX will shoot less than 1/2 MOA out past 300 yards in my Winchester.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12548 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
I don't like heavy for caliber bullets.

Not at all.

Not in any caliber.

If I want heavier bullets than are traditional for caliber, I will always go for a larger caliber cartridge using heavier bullets that are perfectly suitable for that caliber.

It's not like all who came before us were stupid!

They were incredibly smart!

There are very good reasons why we have .375s, .404s, .416s, and .458s and et cetera and so on and so forth. Big Grin

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13396 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cougarz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by .458 Only:
quote:

Bob
www.bigbores.ca

I haven’t tried them but would like to after talking with a gentleman who loved them in his .375 Ackley. He hunted just about everything this side of the pond with them.

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*

Posts: 2796 | Location: Washington (wetside) | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I like the 350 gr. Woodleigh for buffalo as well as any other bullets Ive used, they performed for me to perfection in the 375 and the 450 gr. in the 416 rem and 404..ONly one buff with the 9,3x62 with the 320 gr, soft and it was a quick kill. So heavy for caliber suits me fine..I also have observed the 250 and 350 Monos work well on buffalo...they all work if you stick'm in the right spot. On one 375 I built for myself for the 350 gr.BArnes didnt work out as the bullet was too long for the action and took up too much powder space to suit me, and the long Nosler Accubond heavy weight didnt work out to suit me..All was fine with the 300 grs but I sold it, and built another on a Enfield for the 350s and it worked great..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41859 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I used to use 235gr bullets (Hornady as I recall) in my 375 when hunting Black bear in BC.

Posts: 20086 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
there is a place for light fast bullets and a place for heavy for caliber bullets, both btw need too hit the right spot..

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

Posts: 41859 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I used the 250 gr. TTSX in the 9.3x62 on two trips to Africa. The rifle is a Ruger #1-S. Velocity is almost exactly 2500 fps. The biggest animals I killed with that bullet were sable, waterbuck, and eland. The only one where I recovered a bullet and could measure penetration was the waterbuck. It penetrated 4 feet, from the front of the right shoulder into the left rear quarter. As it is only 0.009" smaller in diameter than the .375, and a little slower, I see no reason the 250 gr. TTSX would not be a reliable killer in the .375.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I used the 250gr TTSX (running around 2750fps) over RL-15 on moose in newfoundland and plains game (bushbuck, waterbuck) with good outcomes on all three. (The waterbuck "issues" were my shooting....). Ranges were from 10-300yds without any bullets recovered.

I had great luck getting them to group sub-MOA out of a CZ barrel.

Posts: 1427 | Location: Shelton, CT | Registered: 22 February 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The 250s work good in the 375 and 9.xx62 and shoot a little flatter I suppose..the do perform from a killing aspect on PG, and Id feel confortable on a broadside shot on buffalo..I particularly liked the Noslers Partition or Accubonds as I recall..

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted Hide Post
I used to shoot 250g A-Frames at 3000 fps out of my 375 Weatherby for mule deer, was fun but went back to my 270 Win a great mule deer caliber.

Regards,

Chuck

"There's a saying in prize fighting, everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Michael Douglas "The Ghost And The Darkness"

Posts: 4731 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: 01 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I found the "350 gr Monolithics" to be too long for the most part without a lot of modifications to the rifle, but the Woodleigh 350 gr. worked well in any standard 375 H&H or Ruger and its an outstqnding bullet for cape buffalo et al.

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Used them on Water buffalo in Australia 350gr TSX in a 378 WBY Mark 5 ,was sold on them after that ,every one I shot dropped on the spot ,including two front on at about 60 yards ,two quick shots and they both dropped on the spot.

One of Us
Picture of DLS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Robinson:
I don't like heavy for caliber bullets.

Not at all.

Not in any caliber.

If I want heavier bullets than are traditional for caliber, I will always go for a larger caliber cartridge using heavier bullets that are perfectly suitable for that caliber.

It's not like all who came before us were stupid!

They were incredibly smart!

There are very good reasons why we have .375s, .404s, .416s, and .458s and et cetera and so on and so forth. Big Grin

Wise words. Like Mike, I stick with mid range weights for each caliber and find them excellent. 225’s in my .338 Winchester, 300’s in my .375 H&H and 400’s in .416 Hoffman. Those weights work great in those calibers.

Posts: 3857 | Location: California | Registered: 01 January 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I suggest one TRY any caliber or bullet before condemning them. I know of no better way to make a correct decision.

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120