New
Find
Notify
Tools

Spiral Horn Dreams
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Having never been to Africa but seriously planning to in the next year or so, I picked up a copy of Terry Wieland's Spiral Horn Dreams. The book covers 9 species: Bongo, Mountain Nyala, Nyala, Sitatunga, Lord Derby Eland, Royal Sable, Mrs. Gray's Lechwe, Greater Kudu and Bushbuck.

I found it very informative and a quick history lesson of the areas these animals reside. The author does bother to go into details on the discovery of the species, the famous hunters and hunts and the war and turmoil surrounding each region (basically from the 1830's to present day).

The book was very enjoyable reading (except the first chapter or so) and very informative (though I started out knowing nothing, so anything is an improvement). He quotes other works by the paragraph and sometimes the page. This isn't a book of hunting stories or the story of a safari, but more of a brief history of these animals and the areas they inhabit.

The book was published by Trophy Room Books in 1995. I believe first run first edition copies are still available. Mine was one of one thousand signed by the author.

Posts: 1508 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 09 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You are like a junkie.

I get back from hunting kudu in RSA. It's been four months. I've stayed clean. I think the worst is over, and you have to go and say, Spiral Horn Dreams. Damn you to Hell.

God they are beautiful creatures.

Posts: 13774 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I can't wait to submit myself to the addiction.
[Big Grin]

The book is really well written, if you can find a copy, I highly recommend it.

S P I R A L H O R N D R E A M S

Good night and do try to get some sleep. If not, have two sundowners and call your booking agent in the morning.

Posts: 1508 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 09 August 2002Reply With Quote