New
Find
Notify
Tools

Out of Africa - the book
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Wow! I finally got around to reading this classic. I had seen the movie and was a bit enthralled by the acting and the scenery, but the book put a lot of flesh on the movie.

Extremely well written. THe prose is to be read slowly and thought about. Her descriptions of the people and the land were exquisite and the word crafting is exceptional.

If you like Africa, want to be reminded of Africa, want to get a perspective from someone who lived and loved Kenya, this is a good read.

I rate it a 10 on the dogcat scale.

Posts: 10215 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
You said it brother...one of the very best out there. She has a way making things seem unique and wonderful. Go back and notice how many times she uses the word “strange” or “curious.” It’s this that gives the book a sort of ethereal feel, like she is opening the door to mysteries unsolved.

The shooting accident part is heartbreaking and unexpected. Her nuanced telling of chief kinanjuis funeral I found very telling of the outsiders regard for the locals.

Agree with your 10 score

Shadows on the Grass also has more stories from that era, including a funny one about her dog playing a trick on her.

Now get thee to West with the Night if you haven’t already...

One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
Glad you liked it;you have just opened the door. Now you need to read "Too Close to the Sun" ,the biography of Denis Finch-Hatton ,or the stories of Bror Blixen or the stories of Beryl Markham in her book,"West into the Night". Hemingway hung with these people slightly at that time.African Adventures by Lyell in the Capstick series is also recommended. ."Love is love + fun is fun but it's oh so quiet when the goldfish dies."

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Every time I pass by Rungstedlund(Karens house) I always get to think of the history. I live just 20 min drive from there. My wife and I often take a walk up there in the summertime. In regards to the book. I now and then find a nice 1st ed in danish of the book and end up with give it to someone. I haven't read it...maybe I ought to. It was Karens brother Thomas Dinesen who helped Karen to write the book, while staying in their cottage located at the most northern tip of Denmark called Skagen. Lovely place to go all year around.
Some years ago I did an artical on Blixen .350 cal Mauser which was at that time located up there for all to see. I see if I can find the images and post them here.

DRSS: HQ Scandinavia. Chapters in Sweden & Norway

Posts: 2805 | Location: Denmark | Registered: 09 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
Jens,I hope you can. I would love to see them.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jens poulsen:
Every time I pass by Rungstedlund(Karens house) I always get to think of the history. I live just 20 min drive from there. My wife and I often take a walk up there in the summertime. In regards to the book. I now and then find a nice 1st ed in danish of the book and end up with give it to someone. I haven't read it...maybe I ought to. It was Karens brother Thomas Dinesen who helped Karen to write the book, while staying in their cottage located at the most northern tip of Denmark called Skagen. Lovely place to go all year around.
Some years ago I did an artical on Blixen .350 cal Mauser which was at that time located up there for all to see. I see if I can find the images and post them here.

Jens,

I grabbed the images for my 'archive' last time you posted them. I'd be happy to re-post them if you'd like.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BaxterB:
quote:
Originally posted by jens poulsen:

Jens,

I grabbed the images for my 'archive' last time you posted them. I'd be happy to re-post them if you'd like.

Please do. I have them on another computer which is somewhere,,

One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
And here they are:

One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
Jens, did you research the rifle with Rigby? Was it originally sold to Denys Finch Hatton?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BaxterB:
Jens, did you research the rifle with Rigby? Was it originally sold to Denys Finch Hatton?

A call to Paul Roberts in
London, former John Rigby & Co. proprietor could inform from the old records that this rifle was sold
directly from London shop in 1914 to a C.Simpson. From here the rest will become assumptions. We must
assume that if the gun has been used by Bror or Karen, they could have bought the gun in Kenya, during
their stay. Messrs. Newland and Tarlton, established in 1904, was the john Rigby retailers in Nairobi on
Sixth Avenue. Perhaps Bror found it here, because C. Simpsons had sold it there?. We know from Ulf
Aschan book `The man who woman loved`(1986) on page 82 a .350Rigby is pictured along with other guns
of Brors hunting battery. Tore Dinesen has been kindly to inform, that his father Thomas received this rifle
upon Karen’s return from Africa In 1931. Thomas used the rifle for deer hunting on regular basis, and Tore
until quite recently also used it for hunting here in Denmark as well.

If you want some sharp images of this rifle drop me an email on: rigbymauser@yahoo.dk

One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
I’ve just come across a mention in the Kenya gazette from 1914 of Bror Blixen having a 350 Rigby serial 4082.