New
Find
Notify
Tools

"understanding ballistics" book
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
i found "understanding ballistics", basic to advanced ballistics, by robert rinker, mulberry house publishing company, interesting informative and helpful. i found it easy reading even though i am on the basic level, but it is not dumbed down so i can grow into the subject matter.

Posts: 107 | Location: alabama | Registered: 18 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Toolmaker
posted Hide Post
I got the same book and I think it's fantastic... The amount of information in there is significant-interior, exterior, and terminal.. It gave some useful information for a bullet design project I have going on. As far as I know this is the most complete non industry book available on the subject..

Toolmaker

Posts: 1000 | Location: in the shop as usual | Registered: 03 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Esldude
posted Hide Post
Yep, Rinker's book is a gem. I do think it has way too many typos. Most you immediately see. A couple weren't immedietely clear as the the intended word. I hope there aren't any I didn't realize were typos.

My only other complaint is in the newer edition he spends a little too much time, complaining about critics of earlier additions. But this is a very minor complaint. Definitely not a reason for one to pass up on this fine text.

Posts: 852 | Location: USA | Registered: 01 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Toolmaker
posted Hide Post
I have found, through personal experiance, that most engineers can't write three words without screwing it up. Most major engineering programs now require students in that major to take a technical writing course... That said, yeah he's got typo's and he does get a little vindictive about his critics but considering the material he covers and the alternative books, he does stand head and shoulders above - mebbe the next editon will have a better rewrite. When I first got the book I was amazed at the wide variety of info he covered. His little section on bullet design got me thinking along a different path for a custom bullet project I've got on the back burner..

Toolmaker

Posts: 1000 | Location: in the shop as usual | Registered: 03 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Rinker's work is worthwhile and I deeply appreciate the work he put into it. He has taken some heat for the lack of quality editing, and has written at least one feature article in The Varmint Hunter Magazine debating his detractors. I think it unnecessary. It is the only work I'm aware of that covers the fundamental 3 areas of ballistics within one cover. Had to reread several of his paragraphs regarding propellent characteristics and explanations due to fog factor dizziness. I recommend the work to many, and if they get hungry for more my evil twin emerges and I tell them about the late Robert McCoy, Harold Vaugh, maybe mention Pejsa softly. I'm so bad sometimes! Worse yet, if they piss me off I'll suggest Hatcher's Notebook. My God but it's DRY!

Anyhoo, good on Rinker for his effort, I ignore the petty detractors. There are two technical errors(that I know of) in the book, neither of significance to the average shooter. Dr. Ken Howell is set to release a work on Internal Ballistics this May or June, and I have an order in for it. Will give a review after I've digested it. TA TA!

Dan

Pres., TYGC

www.ToHaveTheCourage.ToSpeakTheTruth

Posts: 9647 | Location: Yankeetown, FL | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote