New
Find
Notify
Tools

Look to the Wilderness
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I've been looking for a copy of "Look to the Wilderness." I read it as a kid back in the early sixties. I have no idea who wrote it. Anybody ever heard of it? It was a compilation of stories about hunting around the world. The brown bear and the komodo dragon hunts are the only one's I can remember. It was a great read for a thirteen year old. I can still remember feeling wet and cold when the author was hunting brown bears.
Bfly

Work hard and be nice, you never have enough time or friends.

Posts: 1195 | Location: Lake Nice, VA | Registered: 15 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billrquimby
posted Hide Post
from www.antiqbook.com

Burden, W. Douglas. "Look to the Wilderness." Boston, Little Brown. 1960. VG/G_ as closed tear along spine. 1st edn. photographs. 251 pps. Offered for US $20 by The Bohemian Bookworm -- Book number 94845.

Posts: 2633 | Location: tucson and greer arizona | Registered: 02 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Artemis.
posted Hide Post
or, for free here...

http://www.archive.org/details/locktothewildern001923mbp

Wink

Affordable Holiday Accommodation in Devon, UK - Self catering (with shooting if required) PM for details.

Posts: 88 | Location: Sunny Devon, UK | Registered: 07 May 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Funny this discussion should take place now. I ordered this book last weekend!

Posts: 1508 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 09 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, that is the book!
It came to mind for me on one of those cold, rainy late October nights. I was damp and cold from working outside. I got to thinking of a siwash camp, sitting on an old whale bone and eating raisons with seeds in them. Then the memory of the trip to Admiralty Island drifted across time. Killer whales, a little boat, open water and sputter, sputter, silence.
That was pretty heady stuff for a farm kid that only hunted up the hollow back of the barn with a hand me down, single barrel H&R.
DPhillip, hope you enjoy it.
Bfly

Work hard and be nice, you never have enough time or friends.

Posts: 1195 | Location: Lake Nice, VA | Registered: 15 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of RHK
posted Hide Post
Ah, stupid me...I just posted the my other topic about this, then looked down thru here and saw your post. Check out Amazon.com.

"Everybody told me you can't far on $37.00 and and a jap guitar" ~ S.E.

"Turn me loose, set me free, somewhere in the middle of Montana." ~ M.H.

Wild Bob

Posts: 73 | Location: North East Montana | Registered: 14 October 2008Reply With Quote