New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ranking the PHC Series of Books
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have just started building a humble hunting library and wanted to get input on how the more experienced readers than I rank PHC's series of books.

In your recommendations, I would sincerely appreciate any personal rationale as to why you rank one book over another.

Many thanks in advance.

Posts: 89 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 21 November 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I like all of Capsticks books, but especially Death in the Long Grass and Death on the Dark Continent. He also had a "reprint" library of other people's works that are well worth buying since can sometimes be about 1/10 the cost of an original edition.
You might search this forum for thoughts on Capstick. A lot of people have come out and claimed he was a phony, nothing but a bartender who stole other people's stories and passed them off as his own. I happen to be in the other camp, I like and admire him and personally think he did more for the resurgence in the desire for people to hunt Africa than any other author, at least since the early 80's.
As for the other side who say he was a phony well they seem to have waited until after his death to start giving their opinions....enough said.

Posts: 1641 | Location: Colorado, USA | Registered: 11 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hello Jeff,I agree with Mike concerning Peter Capstick's compilations. I must confess that the works of W.D.M. Bell + Jim Corbett rank rather high in my opinion + library even though they are not quite in the P.H. category that you defined.If you do not already receive a copy of Safari Press you should request one.Too many good books to mention in their catalouge.Good reading, + best wishes.

Posts: 4199 | Location: Austin,Texas | Registered: 08 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
My list would be about like this:

Sands of Silence
Peter Capsticks's Africa
Death in the Long Grass
Last Ivory HUnter
The African Adventurers
Death in the Silent Places
Death in the Dark COntinent
Death in a Lonely Land
Warrior
Man called Lion
Last Horizons
Maneaters

I put Safari, the Last Adventure in it's own category as it is more of a reference type book.

One of Us
Picture of Scriptus
posted Hide Post
If you are serious, it is going to cost you plenty. Roll Eyes Check Rowland Ward Out and www.shakariconnection.com Wink

Posts: 3297 | Location: South of the Equator. | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
No kidding!
I have all of his signed and numbered. There was a guy on EBay who had all of them and they were all numbered sequentially. I think they were like #59 on each.
He wanted around $3900 for the collection. Would be nice to have all of his books that were all the same number.
Heck, it would be nice to have $3900 to spend on books!!

Posts: 1484 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 01 October 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the great comments thus far - please keep them coming. Bell is next on my list after PHC.

Posts: 89 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 21 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've got all the PHC books; and while they were a part of my desire to hunt in Africa, it started much earlier with an old leather bound copy of African Game Trails, by TR. As to the Capstick books, I'd start with the "Death in the ..." series. Then, I'd get the republications ... TR, Foran, Von Blixen, Patterson, Stigand, etc. I am less keen on his biographies and his later "Return to ... " books, but I've read them and they are on the shelf.

If I wanted to start building an African library, I'd then start with some of Ruark's books -- Horn of the Hunter (I really like Something of Value and Uhuru as well even though they are fiction). Then I'd shift to Richard Harlan -- The Hunting Imperative, Ndlovu, etc.

Then, I'd look at John Hunter. African Legends is a very entertaining book, as are all of Hunter's. Bell's stuff is great as well. Sutherland, Berger, Mellon -- all great. And, if you want more modern, Boddington, Gray, Robinson. There are a host of good books out there.

Check with Shakari's website. Get a Safari Press Catalogue. There are more great books on African hunting than either of us can afford in our lifetime. Collect as many as you can.

I pity you. You are heading down an unhappy road toward a serious problem, for which there is no easy or economical solution. I share your fate -- good luck.

Posts: 10003 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
Some AFrica theme books not to miss:

West with the Night - Beryl Markham
Out of Africa - Blixen/Dineson a staple for sure
Out in the MIdday Sun - Elspeth Huxley
Red Srangers - Elspeth Huxley

one of us
Picture of Duckear
posted Hide Post
Horn of the Hunter by Ruark is my all time favorite.

Horned Death by John F. Burger is good book on buffalo hunting.

African Rifles and Cartridges by Taylor is another one you want on your shelf.

Hunting: Exercising dominion over creation at 2800 fps.

Posts: 3099 | Location: Southern US | Registered: 21 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billinthewild
posted Hide Post
My Capstick collection is for sale on classifieds...

"When you play, play hard; when you work, don't play at all."
Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 4263 | Location: Pinetop, Arizona | Registered: 02 January 2006Reply With Quote