New
Find
Notify
Tools

Books on African plainsgame
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I'm looking for some books with interesting stories on African plainsgame such as Kudu, Gemsbok, impala, etc. I have Capstick's books, but I want something like that without the Africa big-five animals. I've read plenty about dangerous game. I'm going to Africa during her winter to hunt the non-dangerous plainsgame and I want to get a handle on how it all works out. I already have a book on shot-placement for the plainsgame, so I just would like some stories from famous authors.

Posts: 33 | Location: SC - Lowcountry | Registered: 26 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of SnakeLover
posted Hide Post
Don't know that I've ever seen books on just the antelope species. You might check out http://www.safaripress.com/ as they have a pretty wide assortment. I like Boddington's books, easy reading. I also purchased the two books by Peter Flack after hunting on his property during my last trip to RSA. Since he was raised in Africa and lives in RSA, he devotes alot of the books to game in that country. However, he, like boddington, would prefer to hunt buffalo and the way they tell those stories always stand out against the hunts for blesbok, impala, etc..

Good luck on your trip.

Posts: 472 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 26 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Terry Wieland has a book out called Spiral Horn dreams and it is very good. Craig Bodding has In Search of the Spiral Horn and it is okay. African Hunter by James Mellon is a very comprehensive book and is excellent in all respects. It does include dangerous game, but has an incredible amount of info on antelope and others, also. It's a mammoth book and should keep you reading for a while.

Posts: 1508 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 09 August 2002Reply With Quote