New
Find
Notify
Tools

Flack Hunts Cameroon - DVD review
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I just watched Flack Hunts Cameroon for the third time, a year after my bongo hunt hear where this DVD was shot. It is excellent, again, and made more of an impression on me after having been there.

I watched the Cameroon DVD originally to get ready for a bongo hunt. I have rewatched it after the hunt and I was impressed with how accurately Peter Flack portrayed what I experienced. The filming is excellent followed by his excellent narration. Flack understates the difficulties in hunting that part of the world and the difficulties dealing with the elements. It is an excellent DVD and I recommend it to anyone headed after bongo.

I rate is an 9 out of 10 on the dogcat scale.

Posts: 10202 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dogcat:
I just watched Flack Hunts Cameroon for the third time, a year after my bongo hunt hear where this DVD was shot. It is excellent, again, and made more of an impression on me after having been there.

I watched the Cameroon DVD originally to get ready for a bongo hunt. I have rewatched it after the hunt and I was impressed with how accurately Peter Flack portrayed what I experienced. The filming is excellent followed by his excellent narration. Flack understates the difficulties in hunting that part of the world and the difficulties dealing with the elements. It is an excellent DVD and I recommend it to anyone headed after bongo.

I rate is an 9 out of 10 on the dogcat scale.

updated

Posts: 10202 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
All of Peter's DVDs and books are first rate. I don't think the man knows how to short cut anything.

Posts: 5338 | Location: Bedford, Pa. USA | Registered: 23 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MOA TACTICAL
posted Hide Post
Top 3 gun writers in the world! I concur he's wonderful.

The other two to me are Wayne Van Zwoll and Craig Boddington.

Posts: 955 | Location: Until I am back North of 60. | Registered: 07 October 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just watched his South Africa DVD and it is the very best for first timers to RSA or even the vet. It is much more than hunting it covers everything i e gun permits etc. I have a friend who is going to RSA next year with his son and I am giving them this DVD to prep.

Posts: 5338 | Location: Bedford, Pa. USA | Registered: 23 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
I've not seen his videos but have read his stuff and I like the fact that he comes off as very approachable and realistic with little bravado, even relating stupid mistakes he has made. I have communicated with him by email a few times and he has always been generous with his time and information, I think he is a real class act.

One of Us
Picture of billrquimby
posted Hide Post
quote:
I think he is a real class act.

Baxter:

Way back when I edited and published SCI's magazine I bought the first article Peter Flack ever sold, and have spent a few hours with him over the many years since then. Although I don't know him well, my opinion matches yours.

Bill Quimby

Posts: 2633 | Location: tucson and greer arizona | Registered: 02 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dogcat,

It is interesting how perspectives change opinion.

I purchased his Cameroon video when I booked my Bongo hunt. I enjoyed the video especially since my wife and I would be hunting out of the very same camp (June 2008). We were concerned before we left because of Peter's opinion as to the difficulty and unpleasantness of hunting the rainforest.

We had a marvelous 16 day hunt and never considered leaving early. It is one of my wife's and my best memories of adventure. I would love to go back and if I ever hunt the same place twice, this will be it.

I now ignore opinions of hunters unless I know them and what they like and dislike. For example, my mountain buffalo hunt in Tanzania was fantastic and my wife and I loved it. But how many hunters here would give a positive report of hiking up and down 1000-2000 feet a day and during the entire buffalo hunt, never step foot into a Land Cruiser.

I just hope when Peter's video does not put anyone off a rainforest hunt.

One of Us
Picture of MOA TACTICAL
posted Hide Post
There are a lot of people that in both the military and diplomatic sides of Government that enjoy their jobs more when they are in "rough" places.

A couple friends of mine in the diplomatic corps spend a lot of time telling me how wonderfully tough African postings are.

Having spent a career in both plush and rough spots. I look back with fond memories of places like Djibouti and Afghanistan. Many of the finer places to live did not leave me with the same quality of experience.

I have only hunted internationally a small amount; Australia, Spain, Namibia, Turkey and Germany. All are places that tend to be fairly "nice".

I would imagine those more "interesting" locations make for a lot more vivid memories.

Can you imagine what hunts in the 1960s were like in Afghanistan?

Posts: 955 | Location: Until I am back North of 60. | Registered: 07 October 2011Reply With Quote