Find
Notify
Tools

Asia hunting at its fascinating best
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of billinthewild
posted
I am about 3/4 the way through Kermit and brother Theodore Roosevelt's book, East of the Sun, West of the Moon. Over the Himalayas, the Tien Shan mountains, and Pamirs, after Ibex, the wild sheep, roe deer, wapiti, bear and a collection of bird lfe, in the most difficult of terrain and with the most interesting of assorted guides and helpers. It is taking me longer to finish this book that others previously read because the geogrpahy and the routes they traveled in those times is fascinating. I find myself stopping to go to the maps and try to trace the route of travel; so much has changed, but his appendix helps. I learned the term "grouging" - it is when you side walk a hill on a diagonal. Between the weather, the language barriers, the rock slides, the avalanches and the distances they had to travel it is an exciting work, and very well told.

"When you play, play hard; when you work, don't play at all."
Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 4263 | Location: Pinetop, Arizona | Registered: 02 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
That is an amazing book. I've got a copy of the original, though it is barely "fair" condition. Also have a copy of the Wolfe Publishing reprint.

Reading that book makes you wish the world was that big now. What an amazing journey. Although I think I like the parts Kermit wrote a little better than Teddy's. I guess he wrote more about the hunt than the scientific end. But both were fantastic writers and the entire book is a great read.

Posts: 1508 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 09 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
How much would a copy of this book cost for an a Original and the copy ? thanks

Posts: 625 | Location: Australia | Registered: 07 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
tank,
I'm not really interested in selling it at this time. Thanks for the offer, though.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Im just curious how much this book would roughly be worth to buy in general ,i wasnt interested in taking your copy off your hands with all respect

Posts: 625 | Location: Australia | Registered: 07 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Checking Abebooks.com shows you can buy this book for prices from $17.50 to $650 depending on edition and condition.

Posts: 10218 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My copy wasn't expensive at all. I can't remember exactly what I paid for it though. From time to time you can still find first editions for sale on several internet sites. It is a very good book.

Mine was autographed by Kermit.