Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Good read
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of sbhva
posted
My all time favorite hunting book is Alaskan Yukon Trophies Won and Lost by George Young. An amazing story of hunting that turns into a quest for survival before goretex, polypropelene, thinsulate, scopes, magnums, etc., etc. Young went on to be a US Senator, while one of the members of the hunting party eventually succombed to the rigors of the hunt.

Posts: 120 | Location: Wisconsin, USA | Registered: 05 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
sbhva - I agree on that book - those guys went on a true adventure to be sure - IIRC the large caliber rifle was a .30 Newton - great story and well written - KMule

Posts: 1300 | Location: Alaska.USA | Registered: 15 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
Macawber- "Iodine" was a world authority on venomous snakes (his books on snakes are still considered classics) and Game Warden of Tanganyika. I agree that all the books mentioned above are excellent reading.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
fla3006,when Iodine got too old for game warden work, he started collecting snakes for institutions and museums. I was in Nairobi in 96 and checked out to see whether some of his taxidermied rarities were on display. They were, and through his books and museum items there is something left of him. I have had just about everything written about him, but the best book is A Hunters Story. One other thing, there was a taxidermied elephant on display called "Ahmed" he had the longest tusks I've ever seen.

Posts: 85 | Location: Australia | Registered: 30 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I think we have to remember the famous hunters, otherwise they will be forgotten. I don't know if you have heard the likes of Jerry Jaleel, but he has tended the grave of Jim Corbett. He thought so much of this man that he tended his grave. I remember how Iodine died,barely alive he arrived in Nairobi and that was his end. Does any one know where his grave is?

Posts: 85 | Location: Australia | Registered: 30 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've read most of Ruarks stuff and really enjoy it. I particularlly liked Horn of the Hunter, and Use Enough Gun.
A great writer and seemed like the kind of guy that would be a bunch of fun to hang around with.

My current favorite is Russel Annabel. His Adventure series of four books, Alaska The Early Years, and Tales of Big Game Guide are all great reading.

A whole bunch of short stories about kicking around in the wilderness. Check it out, you won't go wrong !

Posts: 199 | Location: North Central Indiana | Registered: 09 September 2002Reply With Quote